Heated Seat OEM retrofit - Climatic unit

JRob84

VIP Member
So I am going through retrofitting heated seats withe the kafatec loom (have no problems with the wiring so far), my issue is the heater control unit I have swapped it for (that has the heated seat buttons) now just continually rotates from window screen to face to feet then round and around again. Also the Aircon button does nothing, do I need to swap a few wires round or do I need a complete new control unit? The one I bought is a few years older than my van so not sure if that's the issue.
Any help would be appreciated

IMG_20240118_104139317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240118_104152286_HDR.jpg

Not sure as yet. . . . but are the HW compatible?

current was 2016 HW - T6

and the retrofit with HS buttons etc is 2011 - T5 / T5.1?

have you got VCDS to see if you have coms?

Don't think an older version will work but you will need VCDS to code the seats when you have the correct controller

So I am going through retrofitting heated seats withe the kafatec loom (have no problems with the wiring so far), my issue is the heater control unit I have swapped it for (that has the heated seat buttons) now just continually rotates from window screen to face to feet then round and around again. Also the Aircon button does nothing, do I need to swap a few wires round or do I need a complete new control unit? The one I bought is a few years older than my van so not sure if that's the issue.
Any help would be appreciated
I tried a Passat unit and it didn’t work with the van, it having errors similar to yours, whereas @Littleblackflash tried a Golf unit and it did. Might have been the age of the unit that affected it, or because the Passat platform is more different than the Golf - I don’t know.

Some have had success with alternative climatic units - see the retrofit threads for more info.

But do check your rear connections are good. Because months later I thought my heater swirl-flaps were playing up (heater direction kept cycling from screen, fronts to feet and so on) but on investigating I found the connections at the back of the climatic unit to be loose.

I’ve retitled this to hopefully get you a bit more assistance.

I have checked the back connections a few times and also swapped back to my original and everything works as it should with that one, so I am thinking it is due to it being an older version

I have checked the back connections a few times and also swapped back to my original and everything works as it should with that one, so I am thinking it is due to it being an older version
If you’ve negated that then that would be my conclusion, too.

What does VCDS show?

I don't have VCDS and not had chance to go find someone who has ATM. But thanks for you help.

@JRob84 i had exactly the same as you. I have a T6 and bought a T5.1 heater controls with heated seats. The direction control did the same just seems to cycle through. Everything else worked (although i hadnt bought a seat loom yet) i came to the conclusion like yourself that the earlier controls aren't compatible. Just thought id mention in case you thought the controls were faulty. I have vcds and no amount of recalibration or fiddling seemed to fix it. I’m currently considering an aftermarket loom and switches but cant seem to find out if thats possible either.

Back