When I had this same system on my kombi ,I am sure if you put air.con on in the front ,then put the rear.on cold it came.out as chilled air from the roof vents .

Yes that is what mine does but i am not sure where the "chilled" air comes from ?

Good question ?
I have the wiring diagrams and I can get an exploded view of the parts on etka but it’s often generic diagrams and doesnt always show much detail
Is there something in particular you are after ?
There will be documentation on it within the maintenance and repair manuals etc if you want me to have a search

I was just wondering were the so called chilled air comes from @Pauly ? As the unit is bolted to the floor pan i was thinking it is feed from outside . I have looked under the van but it is all covered.
20180309_123242.jpg

Hi all.

New member here, looking to buy a T6 Kombi initially as a vehicle for transporting my giant dog, but eventually to be converted into a camper.

I'm wondering if anyone who has the passenger compartment A/C can tell me how effective it is and where exactly the cold air outlets would be in the back? Said giant dog is also a hairy dog who really struggles with the heat, so air con is a must really. (The dog will be travelling in the load compartment behind the row of seats).

If the optional VW air con is efficient enough, that's probably the best option, but I haven't heard great things about it to be honest. (Some people seem to struggle to get it to blow cold air out the back at all??) I'm also concerned it may completely prevent a pop-top conversion in the future?

But... I really haven't found any better aftermarket options without having an ugly roof-mounted unit :-(

Any opinions and personal experiences gratefully received!

(PS - as we really want a petrol engined T6, our options are severely limited. We've found a couple of used vans without passenger compartment A/C which fit the bill in every other way, but if we want the VW passenger A/C we'll have to go new. Is it worth the extra money?!)

The chilled air is directed to the vents in the roof , so you would have to re-root them if you plan on a pop top in the future. I have had the rear air con on low , and it seems to keep the temp. down but i dont go far so i cant comment on how effective it is really.

20171018_131707 (1).jpg

The chilled air is directed to the vents in the roof , so you would have to re-root them if you plan on a pop top in the future. I have had the rear air con on low , and it seems to keep the temp. down but i dont go far so i cant comment on how effective it is really.

View attachment 27024

Great pic, thanks - that's already way more information than I've managed to get out of the VW dealer about this!
:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the people that say they struggle to get it to work, I believe there are quite a few people who have bought shuttles or caravelle SE thinking they had AC in the rear but don’t as the brochures/sales literature (and some dealers) are a bit confusing when it comes to speccing options

I wouldn’t worry too much about the people that say they struggle to get it to work, I believe there are quite a few people who have bought shuttles or caravelle SE thinking they had AC in the rear but don’t as the brochures/sales literature (and some dealers) are a bit confusing when it comes to speccing options

Well that probably explains why there seems to be so much confusion about this issue!

The only shame about having the passenger aircon/heating is that the additional trim/coverings are all on one side. Be lovely if it was on both sides making it symmetrical.

I'm wondering if you know where to re route the vents when installing a pop top?
I'm not having luck finding a solution.

View attachment 27024

I'm wondering if you know where to re route the vents when installing a pop top?
I'm not having luck finding a solution.

I dont know the solution to that one but i think i recall seeing a photo of a caravelle with a pop top in it where they have moved the OEM vent towards the back to allow the pop top to fit .

The air carrying ducts all all part of the roof so i imagine these will be cut out when the pop top is fitted ?

Here is a picture of the underside of the my caravelle roof with the air ducts, and the one photo of a pop to fitted with the roof vent moved back, i found online. I think Newave conversions did it.

IMG-20180829-WA0004.jpg

20181012_124851.jpg

Back