So the van build planning took a break for a while but back on it, currently pondering the idea of if I find a decent kombi van with rear ac vents how difficult is it to reroute ducting and wiring once pop top is fitted, similar to that of a cali, I'm stuck on wanting a lwb or I think I probably would go for an ocean

I looked into this, I have a caravelle which I want to keep as a 7 seater but also use it for camping. I spoke to vamoose about their roof but they said fitting vents would be tricky due to lack of space. In the end I bought a genuine cali pop top from Cotswold t6 breakers. It comes with all the roof linings, vents and lights were included with mine but the control panel wasn’t so I’ll adapt the caravelle controls to fit the gap.

The duct themselves are basically thin foam that’s folded and stapled together with some rigid plastic pipes, I would say that you could easily make something suitable to do the necessary connections.
If you go for an aftermarket pop top I have the caravelle roof vent and light units that you may be able to make room for in a swb and definitely in a lwb.

I’ve got the roof fitted now, I bought a genuine California roof from t6 breakers on eBay. It fits onto the existing roof rack fixings, you basically have to cut the whole roof skin off. As for the air con it comes with all the cali vents and the rear caravelle controls fit in next to one of the vents and the loom reaches to the new location. I need to make and connect a rear duct to go from the drivers side to the passenger side, I’m not sure if there ever was one and I just didn’t get it from the breakers but it looks easy enough to do. The roof came with the lighting loom, the velle loom wouldn’t have reached all the lights so I cut it back and joined the cali loom. So far it’s taken me and a mechanic friend two days and it’s now just the wiring to finish, put the trims back on and then colour code the roof. It took 5 hrs to get the cali roof off the old van roof (the breakers cut the old van off at the pillars), 4 hours to re fit not inc sealing up etc, stripping the velle took a few of hours. I also found curtain airbags which had to be removed and resistors soldering in to remove fault codes.

I haven't got any interior pictures yet as it looks a mess with wires hanging down everywhere.

20240201_110016.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_072043_eBay.jpg

20240124_120602.jpg

20240124_120552.jpg

20231118_153344.jpg

20240125_110223.jpg

20240124_120546.jpg

20240125_110230.jpg

Back