Just bought a Reimo Poptop - Solar panel?!

I know it's not on a pop top but I went with a 160w photonic universe panel for my van and its worked great so far. Really stealthy and can't be seen from the ground. I fitted a ctek too at the start of my conversion but ended up adding a victron mppt as the ctek wouldn't handle the 160w panel. They're not that expensive and I like the Bluetooth app for seeing how much the panel is generating.

View attachment 152811

View attachment 152812
Morning Dave did you support between the roof ribs or leave open for wind flow. I have a distance between my roof ribs of just under 400m and not sure if best to leave open or fill with a piece of polycarbonate sheet, bonded to the roof and then bond sonar panel to this. Thanks Scott

Morning Dave did you support between the roof ribs or leave open for wind flow. I have a distance between my roof ribs of just under 400m and not sure if best to leave open or fill with a piece of polycarbonate sheet, bonded to the roof and then bond sonar panel to this. Thanks Scott
I bonded it onto the high ribs and with a bead right round the outside. I left gaps at the rear to let the air circulate in the low ribs but filled in about 90percent of the low ribs at the front to stop the wind getting under but left like a 10mm gap in order to let water escape if the van was parked facing down a hill

I bonded it onto the high ribs and with a bead right round the outside. I left gaps at the rear to let the air circulate in the low ribs but filled in about 90percent of the low ribs at the front to stop the wind getting under but left like a 10mm gap in order to let water escape if the van was parked facing down a hill
Great thanks for the info.

Looks really neat.
What did you use to stick it down?
Did you the gaps under it fully open?

Sorry… really should read all the thread before throwing in a question.

I'm on my 3rd solar panel on my Reimo Easyfit. The first one was the factory fitted option by Reimo, this was an un-branded chinese POS that lasted 18 months. The second one was a Carbest supplied by Reimo as a warranty replacement for the original one. That lasted a couple of years, both of these were flexible & had been fitted either in the factory, or in accordance with manufacturer's spec. When they fitted the second one, I got them to stick a piece of vinyl wrap to the roof & stick the panel to the wrap, this was to make removal of the panel easier in the future should it fail, it did! Anyway, I'm now on my 3rd panel & have given up on flexible panels & fitted a rigid one from PV Logic. Happy so far & I think it looks smart even though I say so myself. The black strips down the side of the panel are the remains of the vinyl wrap that covered where the original factory fitted panel sat.

View attachment 152435

View attachment 152436
I'm ready to fit a solar panel on my Reimo Easyfit roof and am really looking at the best, most efficient and reliable flexible panel (whatever brand and model that is) simply so the height of the vehicle hardly changes.
fort me reliability is of huge importance although I guess solar panels are getting better year on year so a new one fitted by Reimo would probably be more reliable than you have experienced? How long have you had the current rigid panel on?
Can you advise the height of your panel together with the wattage part No etc
Thanks

yeah I don't fancy having a hole that big in the pop top! I was thinking more 20mm circular lol
Yes, for me the thought of a hole that size in my Reimo roof is scary, and what if the panel fails and one chose to go for a different panel with different fixings?

I'm ready to fit a solar panel on my Reimo Easyfit roof and am really looking at the best, most efficient and reliable flexible panel (whatever brand and model that is) simply so the height of the vehicle hardly changes.
fort me reliability is of huge importance although I guess solar panels are getting better year on year so a new one fitted by Reimo would probably be more reliable than you have experienced? How long have you had the current rigid panel on?
Can you advise the height of your panel together with the wattage part No etc
Thanks
All the info is here. Panel still going strong, no issues yet.

Did you use Sikaflex to bond? If so, which one?

I'm on my 3rd solar panel on my Reimo Easyfit. The first one was the factory fitted option by Reimo, this was an un-branded chinese POS that lasted 18 months. The second one was a Carbest supplied by Reimo as a warranty replacement for the original one. That lasted a couple of years, both of these were flexible & had been fitted either in the factory, or in accordance with manufacturer's spec. When they fitted the second one, I got them to stick a piece of vinyl wrap to the roof & stick the panel to the wrap, this was to make removal of the panel easier in the future should it fail, it did! Anyway, I'm now on my 3rd panel & have given up on flexible panels & fitted a rigid one from PV Logic. Happy so far & I think it looks smart even though I say so myself. The black strips down the side of the panel are the remains of the vinyl wrap that covered where the original factory fitted panel sat.

View attachment 152435

View attachment 152436
The installation looks great. Looking at their website can you advise if this (155W Rigid Mono High Density Solar Panel Roof & Deck Top Kit) is what you've installed and whether you bought anything different to the parts listed?
It'd be great if you could also show a photo of how you've fitted the cable/gland?
Thanks

The installation looks great. Looking at their website can you advise if this (155W Rigid Mono High Density Solar Panel Roof & Deck Top Kit) is what you've installed and whether you bought anything different to the parts listed?
It'd be great if you could also show a photo of how you've fitted the cable/gland?
Thanks
Yup that’s the one. No cable gland. There’s a hole in the poptop that goes through the lid, but is on the out of the canvas. The cable goes through the canvas in the rear offside corner. The original panel was a factory fit Reimo, so all the cabling was already in place. I can get a photo when I get home. I’m away at the moment.

Yup that’s the one. No cable gland. There’s a hole in the poptop that goes through the lid, but is on the out of the canvas. The cable goes through the canvas in the rear offside corner. The original panel was a factory fit Reimo, so all the cabling was already in place. I can get a photo when I get home. I’m away at the moment.
That'll be great, especially as my roof is also a Reimo :)

That'll be great, especially as my roof is also a Reimo :)
The cable comes straight through the roof to the outside of the canvas. The bracket for the rigid solar panel covers the existing hole, so I drilled a hole in the bracket to match the existing hole. I just Sika’d the cable as it passed through the bracket/roof. The cable is stuck to the underside of the roof & enters through the roof flange in the offside rear corner.
IMG_4655.jpegIMG_4655.jpegIMG_4652.jpegIMG_4653.jpegIMG_4654.jpegIMG_4651.jpeg

Back