Flexible solar panel

The Wibbler

Hi, I am looking to have a solar panel fitted to my leisuredrive hightop, which because of its curvy roof would need to be a flexible one. I have been told that they don't last long and that they can overheat on a grp roof. Is either true and is it possible to fit to a curvy roof?

If so, it would be helpful to hear there are any places in Essex i could ask for help with this?

Hi, I am looking to have a solar panel fitted to my leisuredrive hightop, which because of its curvy roof would need to be a flexible one. I have been told that they don't last long and that they can overheat on a grp roof. Is either true and is it possible to fit to a curvy roof?

If so, it would be helpful to hear there are any places in Essex i could ask for help with this?
Hi
My experience with the first 100W flexible lasted circa 3 yrs… I then upgraded to a slightly better manufacturer and increased size of 160W… this lasted 5 years and failed a week before our holiday… think I’m going rigid now

My first 63w flexible panel lasted 6yrs, now I have just had fitted a 200w flexible panel the reason for going flexible again was to keep the height down for car park barriers.
I can recommend Larkin custom conversions in southminster Essex who fitted mine, I found them a little dearer than other quotes but the work was done to a very high standard.

Hi you might want to have a look at CIGS panels. They are flexible and can be fitted on curves. A bit more expensive though, but do generate more electricity.

e.g.

Thinking about this further, I am having second doubts. As an alternative option and having heard more negative comments at the motorhome/caravan show at the NEC yesterday re flexible panels, what portable solar panel would you suggest/recommend instead and what would I connect it to - the 12 v socket fitted as part of the conversion or....?

I fitted a NDS 200w Lightsolar Semiflexible to our van after fitting the same make years ago to our old motorhome (it is still working fine with new owners after years in all weathers).
The weather here in Spain can go up to 40C+ so wanted a panel that would last. I recommend NDS and easy enough to fit it (my posts of fitting are on here

Gotta say those Midsummer energy offerings 'look' really good, not sure about the top loading connections though...
Has anyone got experience of Midsummer? 5 year warranty can't be bad, can it?
I'm on my second 'flexi' in 12 months but really don't want a slab on the pop top!

I fitted a NDS 200w Lightsolar Semiflexible to our van after fitting the same make years ago to our old motorhome (it is still working fine with new owners after years in all weathers).
We have two NDS LS 105W panels and unfortunately one has failed after 3 years. I guess it’s just the luck of the draw on these things.

Not currently sure what path we will take on leaving or replacing. It’s encouraging that you have found the NDS to be reliable. Perhaps we’ll go for a couple of bigger NDS panels as an upgrade.

We have two NDS LS 105W panels and unfortunately one has failed after 3 years. I guess it’s just the luck of the draw on these things.

Not currently sure what path we will take on leaving or replacing. It’s encouraging that you have found the NDS to be reliable. Perhaps we’ll go for a couple of bigger NDS panels as an upgrade.
Go on Martin, try one of those sticky back plastic Midsummer Murders ones, I'm really interested to see if they are as good as I want them to be!

Like the idea of the Midsummer Murders ones, but output amps looks very low. I get on a good day here in Spain from mine around 10.1amps.

What size panel @Qnapper ? I get 7.5 on a 180 watt Chinese one claiming Austrian heritage!
Midsummer Murders
Electrical
Peak power 500W (-0/+10%)

Vmpp 62.4V
Voc 77.2V
Impp 8.03A
Isc 9.07A

I get on a good day here in Spain from mine around 10.1amps from my 200watt panel. Something not right there from a 500Watt panel Isc 9.07A

Midsummer Murders
Electrical
Peak power 500W (-0/+10%)

Vmpp 62.4V
Voc 77.2V
Impp 8.03A
Isc 9.07A

I get on a good day here in Spain from mine around 10.1amps from my 200watt panel. Something not right there from a 500Watt panel Isc 9.07A

Those numbers are consistent.

62v * 9A = 558w

And the 8A would pretty much take it to specified 500w. Likely your panel outputs a lower voltage?

Back