Solar panel debonded

Update: Photoic universe have been very honest and confirmed that a batch of the semiflex (black reinforced) panels had a issue with a change in glue bonding the laminates but only a small batch and this has been rectified. Shouldn't have happened but they did not know the German manufacturer changed it. They also confirmed that the top layer could be removed and its purpose was to protect the cells from tree damage etc... Going to leave top layer on at moment until it worsens.

Update: Photoic universe have been very honest and confirmed that a batch of the semiflex (black reinforced) panels had a issue with a change in glue bonding the laminates but only a small batch and this has been rectified. Shouldn't have happened but they did not know the German manufacturer changed it. They also confirmed that the top layer could be removed and its purpose was to protect the cells from tree damage etc... Going to leave top layer on at moment until it worsens.
Hmmm... did they mention sending you a replacement free of charge? (There's a pun there somewhere that someone may use!)

Yes they are sending out a new one at the start of March as part of the warranty. Bit of a pain taking old one off but at least I’m not £360 out of pocket for a new one.

Yes they are sending out a new one at the start of March as part of the warranty. Bit of a pain taking old one off but at least I’m not £360 out of pocket for a new one.
I'm presuming you have to take the old one off to get a replacement? I want a replacement without the faff of taking the old one off! It's worth the chat I suppose! Miracles occasionally happen! I would love a spare at hand! £360 for a new one? I could do without that, I think I'll wait for the next what seems inevitable failure!

New one is being sent out and old one can stay on until I’m ready to tackle the Silka flex. They don’t want the old one back. Just been put and it’s still pumping out 24v which is the max it can do so may as well keep it. Trouble is when new one arrives the warranty starts ticking and it will be still boxed up. May sell new one and get fully flexible MIPVI.

New one is being sent out and old one can stay on until I’m ready to tackle the Silka flex. They don’t want the old one back. Just been put and it’s still pumping out 24v which is the max it can do so may as well keep it. Trouble is when new one arrives the warranty starts ticking and it will be still boxed up. May sell new one and get fully flexible MIPVI.
Great idea. Did you buy the panel directly through PU? Mine came via my converter but I'm hoping I can just talk to PU directly, I have the invoice at hand. Thank you @Dmin

Yeah, bought straight from PU and cant fault them- only sent 2 phots (signs of delamination and the serial number on the corner) They had all other records.

Yeah, bought straight from PU and cant fault them- only sent 2 phots (signs of delamination and the serial number on the corner) They had all other records.
Thanks again, I'll jump on them in the morning!

Well, Photonic Universe have agreed to send me a new 180 watt panel under warranty, currently out of stock until the end of March, but very good of them nonetheless.
Good on you PU you have restored my faith in your company and product!
Old one still works perfectly well, what should I do?!

Glad that has worked out for you and it looks like that’s 2 of us waiting for the panel in March Mine is still working as good as ever and kicking out 24v. Tough decision but I am personally going to leave mine on and replace it when it fails which others reckon could actually be quite a while (years). Trouble is that when new one is delivered then the warranty starts ticking down. PU say that the new ones have the correct adhesive and shouldn’t delaminate so will last for many years. Can’t justify removing a fully functioning panel.

Glad that has worked out for you and it looks like that’s 2 of us waiting for the panel in March Mine is still working as good as ever and kicking out 24v. Tough decision but I am personally going to leave mine on and replace it when it fails which others reckon could actually be quite a while (years). Trouble is that when new one is delivered then the warranty starts ticking down. PU say that the new ones have the correct adhesive and shouldn’t delaminate so will last for many years. Can’t justify removing a fully functioning panel.
I was told January , now they’re saying march , I’m not holding my breath lol

I'm waiting a panel from PU for a customer van. This is a 200w panel and is the second one on this van being replaced under warranty. The replacement will be a slightly different construction and is said to better resist delamination, but again, not available until end March. We shall see how that goes, but I will say their customer service and attitude to warranty are excellent in my experience.

Very interested in this. I noticed the same bubbles in the top of our PU semi flex panel at the weekend when washing the van.

Will be having a chat with the guys who fitted our pop top and panel about some warranty work.

Very interested in this. I noticed the same bubbles in the top of our PU semi flex panel at the weekend when washing the van.

Will be having a chat with the guys who fitted our pop top and panel about some warranty work.
I talked to PU directly even though my panel was fitted by a conversion company. Take a photo of the 'bubbles' and the serial number (on one of the corners of the panel) and WhatsApp the pictures to Josh at PU on 07572301419. He will talk to your conversion company if necessary. The panel will, in due course, be sent to you directly. Then, to fit or not to fit, is the question!

I'm on my third PU panel - 1st one (roof installer fitted) failed just outside warranty. Bought a 200W replacement which failed after 13 months.
PU replaced without quibble but only left me with 11, out of the original 24-month, warranty.
This third one has now developed blistering/de-lamination within 6 months of being on the van.
I have been offered a replacement, but these are out of stock at the moment.
They have offered me one of the 2mm, glass fibre reinforced ones - different footprint size, though!
I believe the warranty is only valid from the original panel purchase date - they don't give you a brand new warranty with the replacement.

Lets hope the new batch of panels last longer and that's useful to know about the warranty issue as logic would think that the you would have a fresh warranty with a new panel.

I thought I'd ad my 10p to make more aware of the scale of the problem. We have fitted a number of these 180 & 200w aluminium reinforced panels with the rear junction box. I have replaced between April last year and today I have replaced 12 panels and 4 panels for delamination these included 100w & 150w panels too. It looks like now they are using a different manufacturer and only pushing the fiberglass panels as we have now got some replacements of the fiberglass version which is the same sizes as the aluminium, which great as we moved over to fitting these and so far we have been ok. I've lost complete faith in the aluminium range. From our point of view, PU are being great with the warranty's however we still are replacing these with no cost of labour or the adhesive used covered. What concerns me is that we are not getting any extended warranty's for the panels we have replaced... I am yet to replace one that has been replaced already.

Back