Solar Panel Fail

Creamytash

T6 Guru
Hi all, Last year I took the van to a Conversion company where I had the interior carpet lined and a pop top roof fitted along with a 150w semi flex solar panel on the roof. About a month ago the solar panel failed. It was still under warranty so I went back to the installer who was willing to replace it under warranty with no quibble. Before we got into that, I asked the question - How many of these have you experienced have failed, the answer was 10, which I though was a lot. As I didn't want to repeat the same mistake again, I asked about alternatives. I eventually opted to upgrade(at an extra cost) to a 250w semi flexible panel after I had asked the same question about how many they had experienced fails on this type, the answer was 'None'. The first panel had a 2 year warranty where as the replacement has a 5 year warranty. I hope this thread helps any first timers in some way when choosing which solar panel to opt for.

Do you know what make they were? My installer replaced my panel under warranty at just 12 months. Talking to him recently it seems mine was the first of 3 or 4 which have failed prematurely

I don't know the manufacturer of the failed panel as it was purchased by the converter and no doubt came from one of his suppliers. Strange though that you have had similar and are in Grantham and I am in Nottingham - a bit close that.

I don’t understand how to evaluate whether “10” is a high failure rate without knowing how many panels of this type were fitted in total and over what time period.

On the 250w semi-flexi, just to add a single extra data point - we’ve had one of these (assuming photonics universe) running for six years without issue.

I don’t understand how to evaluate whether “10” is a high failure rate without knowing how many panels of this type were fitted in total and over what time period.
I agree with you, but I didn't push for any further info anout the failed units on the basis of was I actually being told the truth about the numbers thst had failed in the first place.

Back