Another failed solar panel

Salty Spuds

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
After a second flexi solar panel failure, I'm going for a rigid type in the hope that it's a last time fit & forget job. The first flexi to fail was a generic chinese one factory fitted to the poptop by Reimo, that lasted around 2 years. The second one, which has just failed was a Carbest German jobby, also supplied by Reimo (but made in China). I've ordered one of these, a PV Logic Mono High Density which should arrive tomorrow. I know it's not "Stealth" but tbh, I'm more concerned with performance & reliability than aesthetics. There's a slight curve in the poptop which I think I can work around, watch this space.

I prefer the rigid ones - I have had a 40W one on my boat for 15 years and cannot fault it. The seagull shite just slides off the glass once it rains, it does not get damaged by waves hitting it which is more force than the wind. Had the same on my T3 and Merc bus for roughly the same time, never a problem with any of them. I was concerned that my converter was going to use one of these plastic ones but decided to give it a go - time will tell if it lasts as well.
Using brackets allow for a slight curve of a roof underneath. As you say, not as pretty, but when I started using solar panels there was an output advantage from rigid over flexible panels which persuaded me.

All done, ordered yesterday, arrived at 9am this morning. Fitted after much measuring & try fitting. Waiting for the mastic to cure before I tidy up the wiring. I fitted MC4 connectors under the panel to aid easier changing in the future should the need arise.
5C14296C-4929-40C2-A150-E5AD06597F18.jpegBA0E9BED-6D27-4E9D-BC01-3097D74FD992.jpegB58912E4-550F-4DBB-9900-1CF8F20254EB.jpeg

@Salty Spuds Nice Job!
Did you just ‘glue’ the rigid panel to your roof?

I too have a failed flexi solar panel and thinking of replacing it with something similar.
Thanks
Ollie.

@Salty Spuds Nice Job!
Did you just ‘glue’ the rigid panel to your roof?

I too have a failed flexi solar panel and thinking of replacing it with something similar.
Thanks
Ollie.
Yup, the brackets are stuck on. The kit comes supplied with a tube of mastic, but it was white. So I used some black Dogs Bo****KS from Screwfix. It ain’t coming off anytime soon. I also fitted a pair of MC4 connectors which are hidden under the panel. If I remove the fixing screws & endcaps from the brackets, the panel slides out of the brackets & I can disconnect it at the MC4 connectors.

Following this thread, as just fitted my 3rd flexi panel and not happy.
@Salty Spuds please could you tell me what the height gain was with the brackets? And do please let us know if the panel performs well output wise.

@Salty Spuds please could you tell me what the height gain was with the brackets? And do please let us know if the panel performs well output wise.
Really feel for you. I can’t believe these things given the cost fail so readily.
I’m not messing around and going all out 325W ridged - not bothered about the gain in height.

Just measured it, it’s added 40mm to the height overall. Ours is a Reimo roof & has ridges down each side, the panel sits inside the ridges & is 40mm proud. We have VB Air on a +30 lift kit, so our “on road” height is 2100mm, if I drop it into “Car Park” mode it comes down to 2010mm, so will probably just fit under a 2m height barrier if I close my eyes :oops:91F5BB7B-0727-483C-A699-AC24F6F7993E.jpegE2F40B76-B370-43F9-8F93-C86282E2E6E5.jpeg

2845CED2-2ACB-4484-B8F5-C08EF8C24190.jpeg

I've literally just purchased a flexi panel today and am wondering if I have done the right thing- but we use our van as a second car and height is important which is why we are compromising with an elevating roof in the first place. I'm on standard T32 springs so really don't want to add any more height, but I am concerned over the longevity of the flexi panels.

@Salty Spuds Thanks for doing that. I am sure it benefits others too. I am going to persevere with the new (Lensun) panel and see how it goes. To be fair, I have this morning fitted a Victron Solar controller and its getting quite a bit more out of the panel on an overcast day, up to 80W! Previously, it was on the solar input on the CTEK 250 and was barely managing 50W on a very sunny day.

@Salty Spuds Thanks for doing that. I am sure it benefits others too. I am going to persevere with the new (Lensun) panel and see how it goes. To be fair, I have this morning fitted a Victron Solar controller and its getting quite a bit more out of the panel on an overcast day, up to 80W! Previously, it was on the solar input on the CTEK 250 and was barely managing 50W on a very sunny day.
That's interesting, I intend on running it from the CTEK too and based my panel choice on the voltage because of it!

That's interesting, I intend on running it from the CTEK too and based my panel choice on the voltage because of it!
I got rid of my Ctek, poor performance & lack of information. The Victron is a different league.

I got rid of my Ctek, poor performance & lack of information. The Victron is a different league.
TBH I'm not impressed with my recent episode- I was away for 10 days and had just got a new phone so battery monitoring wasn't yet set up and long story short, the ign live feed at the fuse box/piggyback fuse is loose, this had come out/dislodged slightly and instead of just charging as though it was a non smart alternator, it simply did not charge at all and I did not notice until the fairly new batt was at 11v :( A pulse charge and a mains charge seems to have restored it and the CTEK is now running as it should but some battery life/cycles will have been lost.

After a second flexi solar panel failure, I'm going for a rigid type in the hope that it's a last time fit & forget job. The first flexi to fail was a generic chinese one factory fitted to the poptop by Reimo, that lasted around 2 years. The second one, which has just failed was a Carbest German jobby, also supplied by Reimo (but made in China). I've ordered one of these, a PV Logic Mono High Density which should arrive tomorrow. I know it's not "Stealth" but tbh, I'm more concerned with performance & reliability than aesthetics. There's a slight curve in the poptop which I think I can work around, watch this space.
That panel looks like a good option.
My first cheap chinese panel cost 80 quid, now renogy panel cost 140 quid, my next one when this fails will be rigid and the one you have chosen looks like a good option.

I think the semi flex panels are just not good thermally. Probably main reason for failure.

Reading so many threads on Solar Panels with so many failures on the flexi ones it's pretty alarming.
The overall height of my campervan (fitted) with the Reimo Easyfit roof is important to us as we want to be able to pass under the stupid height restrictions we're all aware of and 40mm increase in height when fitting the ridged panel may well mean we cannot access places we currently do.
One would think there must be a brand out there that manufactures an efficient, truly reliable 150W or so flexi panel?!
For me, this is a job I only want to do once so still reading and learning though as yet no solar panel.
As an aside, my AGM leisure battery is sited under the driver's seat, and getting the cable from the rear to the front looks like a nightmare if it's to be hidden behind the existing panels, for sure these jobs are so much easier if fitted during the campervan build.

It's got top be a case of cheaply made panels. The one I fitted some 7years ago is still working well on the old motorhome (in Spain) I sold (I know the new owner personally). I was so impressed I bought the same make for our camper van and followed the guides on fitting/sticking direct on roof and since fitted beginning of this year has worked in 40C here in Spain. This is the make and model fitted to old motorhome (100 watt version and now fitted to camper 200watt version). I know, very expensive, but seems worth it.

Link: NDS 200W LightSolar LSE Solar Panel - bottom junction box
pan1.jpg
pan2.jpg
There are photo's on the forum of it fitted by me to camper.

Just measured it, it’s added 40mm to the height overall. Ours is a Reimo roof & has ridges down each side, the panel sits inside the ridges & is 40mm proud. We have VB Air on a +30 lift kit, so our “on road” height is 2100mm, if I drop it into “Car Park” mode it comes down to 2010mm, so will probably just fit under a 2m height barrier if I close my eyes :oops:View attachment 128563View attachment 128562

View attachment 128564
I'd like to see this in person, looks a fine job.

Reading so many threads on Solar Panels with so many failures on the flexi ones it's pretty alarming.
The overall height of my campervan (fitted) with the Reimo Easyfit roof is important to us as we want to be able to pass under the stupid height restrictions we're all aware of and 40mm increase in height when fitting the ridged panel may well mean we cannot access places we currently do.
One would think there must be a brand out there that manufactures an efficient, truly reliable 150W or so flexi panel?!
For me, this is a job I only want to do once so still reading and learning though as yet no solar panel.
As an aside, my AGM leisure battery is sited under the driver's seat, and getting the cable from the rear to the front looks like a nightmare if it's to be hidden behind the existing panels, for sure these jobs are so much easier if fitted during the campervan build.
I have bought renogy panel. Mailed them to get recommended fitting method. Instructions hinted at need airflow under panel; but not confident their method would give good flow.

I am going to use the polycarbonate method this guy uses...

Looks like a good solution.

For what it's worth, I have had a rigid panel mounted on my pop top roof for 4 years in Australia.
Van has been in 45 degrees c in summer and so far no problem. I have a 1 inch air gap underneath between roof and panel.
Now I realise height restrictions may prevent some people using these but I want a panel that just works all the time.
If you want to go the flexible route I would read Qnappers posts as he has had no problems with a flexible panel.

I have bought renogy panel. Mailed them to get recommended fitting method. Instructions hinted at need airflow under panel; but not confident their method would give good flow.

I am going to use the polycarbonate method this guy uses...

Looks like a good solution.
He doesn’t use much sikaflex does he.

Back