Solar panel debonded

Clearly not an isolated issue! Thanks for posting this as it’s reassuring as PU have told me that I will be getting the fiberglass version so hopefully it will last. It is odd that they don’t give a fresh warranty which would give more confidence in the product. All I have to do now is fret about removing the Silka flex .

my blistering one was a 200W ARFLXBJB2-200M.
I was told the new, improved version of this panel (FLAXBJB2-200M) would be in stock "later this year, likely around the summer"
‍Alternatively they could supply a FLPROCBJB-200M which will be back in stock early April (different dimensions, though)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luckily mines going in for paint beginning of April so I’ve removed mine this afternoon , I wouldn’t fancy doing it if your not having paint , they’re stuck like sh*t to a blanket , or at least mine was .

I've been in contact with PU this week... but have one question; The change from their existing panel to their proposed new version as i understand will be fibreglass type and they recommend applying on a complete flat surface, not as i intended over the ribbed roof! Even though they say flat surface would anyone take the gamble? I've seen the thread about, putting a flat base below, but keen to keep it as stealth as poss... or any other recommend suppliers out there.... thanks

BTW... here is the correspondence from PU which you might find helpful

The existing panels we would still recommend that these panels are installed on a smooth surface, but it is not as vital due to their increased rigidity. I’m afraid that the aluminium reinforced panels will not be restocked, so the available panels on the website will be the last ones available. They are being replaced by the textured fibreglass one I has mentioned, which from the current testing have a much longer lifespan.

Please see the table below, which will have the price and dimensions of the rear junction box 120W and 100W solar panels. As mentioned over the phone, these panels will be constructed of a more flexible material and will be covered by a three year warranty

Product codeDescriptionDimensionsRetail price
FLAXBJB-120M120W black semi-flexible solar panel (rear round junction box), 3m dual core cable1000 x 665 x 2 mm269.99
FLPROCBJB-100M100W black rear junction box semi-flexible fibreglass solar panel 9BB990 x 540 x 2 mm279.99

I've been in contact with PU this week... but have one question; The change from their existing panel to their proposed new version as i understand will be fibreglass type and they recommend applying on a complete flat surface, not as i intended over the ribbed roof! Even though they say flat surface would anyone take the gamble? I've seen the thread about, putting a flat base below, but keen to keep it as stealth as poss... or any other recommend suppliers out there.... thanks

BTW... here is the correspondence from PU which you might find helpful

The existing panels we would still recommend that these panels are installed on a smooth surface, but it is not as vital due to their increased rigidity. I’m afraid that the aluminium reinforced panels will not be restocked, so the available panels on the website will be the last ones available. They are being replaced by the textured fibreglass one I has mentioned, which from the current testing have a much longer lifespan.

Please see the table below, which will have the price and dimensions of the rear junction box 120W and 100W solar panels. As mentioned over the phone, these panels will be constructed of a more flexible material and will be covered by a three year warranty

Product codeDescriptionDimensionsRetail price
FLAXBJB-120M120W black semi-flexible solar panel (rear round junction box), 3m dual core cable1000 x 665 x 2 mm269.99
FLPROCBJB-100M100W black rear junction box semi-flexible fibreglass solar panel 9BB990 x 540 x 2 mm279.99
As I see it, having gone through 2 flexible panels & now on a rigid panel, you can either have stealthy & cool, or functional. Personally, considering the ball ache of having had 2 panels fail in service & the PITA of swapping them out, I'm, sticking with functional. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think that a flexible panel somehow makes the van "Stealthy". I have seen flexible panel installations on here that look a complete dogs breakfast, compared to some very neat & tidy rigid installations.
Just my 2 penneth.

Based on the above posts I have been in touch with PU and they have said that a bit of flex will be fine with the new fibre glass replacement ones as all their testing has been positive. They have been quite open about the issues with the other models and I have everything in writing that they are suitable for pop tops. The only thing then stressed is that they should not go over large cavities as the panel will be unsupported. My theory is that if I sent the company exactly how I would fit the panel and then they agreed, it would be okay then worse case if they did not honor the warranty then it’s a small claims court issue. Mine needs to be stealth as if 2cm higher then it’s very expensive on toll roads in Europe as a class higher.

Based on the above posts I have been in touch with PU and they have said that a bit of flex will be fine with the new fibre glass replacement ones as all their testing has been positive. They have been quite open about the issues with the other models and I have everything in writing that they are suitable for pop tops. The only thing then stressed is that they should not go over large cavities as the panel will be unsupported. My theory is that if I sent the company exactly how I would fit the panel and then they agreed, it would be okay then worse case if they did not honor the warranty then it’s a small claims court issue. Mine needs to be stealth as if 2cm higher then it’s very expensive on toll roads in Europe as a class higher.
Mine is stuck to 4mm Twinwall which is then stuck to the roof, it’s working well, maybe an option

Tbh I think it will be fine. Contact the seller, send them the photos, ask if they are happy for you to open it & check it over.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 10 month old panel, works perfectly and I have the option of removing the top layer if the bubbles upset me. I would rather the new acquirer of this panel have it factory fresh boxed and new. I won't post it but happy to deliver for the right price! If you know which angle I'm coming from!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 10 month old panel, works perfectly and I have the option of removing the top layer if the bubbles upset me. I would rather the new acquirer of this panel have it factory fresh boxed and new. I won't post it but happy to deliver for the right price! If you know which angle I'm coming from!
Ahh crossed purposes. I thought you were commenting on the damage to the package :whistle:

Wait, there's damage to the package??!
some minor bumps & dings, hence my comment "it'll be fine". I thought you were worried that the panel would be damaged, and that's why you weren't going to open it. Personally, if I was going to sell it on, I'd open it to check the contents. You don't want to sell it on & the new "acquirer" open the box to find that something is missing or damaged & you can't argue the contrary.

I've just got mine and I will be opening it to check physical dimensions.
The entire top layer peeled off the original panel and while it still appears to work, I don't expect it to last for long and will be replacing it

Back