Solar panel debonded

Ploots

LGV driver
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all
On my way home from work this morning there was a clattering noise from the roof and off came my solar panel, I'm a little bit annoyed but I was looking to replace it anyway so it's going to be sooner than later, I've now got the joy of removing the bonding glue,
My question is what to get,it's going to be a flexi panel as that's what was on there it's on a poptop, Renogy do a 200w flexi panel for £169 at the moment is that worth looking at? Or is there something else that's worth a look at
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Hi,

We have used photonic universe for our panels for years and they have always been fantastic, we have had a very very low amount of failures on these too.

However, in recent months we've had our own installed panels and others fitted elsewhere the all black reinforced panels have had the top layer delaminating from them.

In fairness to Photonic they are aware and have pushed new deliveries back a fair bit to sort the issue with suppliers. However, the standard semi flexible range has been fantastic from day one.

Brandon

Good price for that Renogy I paid much more for mine and no issues so far but had for only under a year so far

Thanks for replying is it possible to fit a solid panel to the poptop

How's the best way to fix it to it
Try a search, masses of info on the forum. It’s well documented.
For example:-

@Ploots. I'm not really qualified to recommend types of panels to go for as I've only ever had Photonics Universe Flexible 170s but I do feel your pain about having a panel coming unstuck. Three years or so ago, the same thing happened to us whilst on our our first long road trip in the van after covid when we were doing 75 MPH (ish?) on the autoroute heading for the South of France. There was a brief spell of the 'clattering noise' followed by a thump which was a bit alarming - I pulled over and had a look at the roof to see no panel present but the wires were still sticking out at the back of the roof. Luckily the autoroute was reasonably quiet so we could only hope that the panel hadn't caused problems behind us. I

I don’t know which is worse, inadequate fixing or too strong a bond.

I’m currently trying to remove my two ‘semi-flexible’ panels because one has failed. They were as good a ‘superglued’ to the roof, so it’s not surprising one has failed.

I’m having to cut the 4mm thick panels into thin strips with a depth set disc cutter to remove them, then the adhesive underneath is even worse to get off!

Applying vinyl wrap to the roof prior to fitting the panels is the key, not that it helps you now!

You tried thin wire cutter … I don’t think wrap matters as you will be replacing panels on top of whatever’s down …covering rough adhesive etc

You tried thin wire cutter … I don’t think wrap matters as you will be replacing panels on top of whatever’s down …covering rough adhesive etc
I have thought about wire cutting but due to panel positioning I would still have to cut the panels to get the wire to be able to pull across. I would also have to make sure that the wire didn’t cut into the roof.

I could give it a go but don’t have any wire or handles. Do you have any particular items you would recommend? Most seem to come from China with longish delivery times.

Hi,

We have used photonic universe for our panels for years and they have always been fantastic, we have had a very very low amount of failures on these too.

However, in recent months we've had our own installed panels and others fitted elsewhere the all black reinforced panels have had the top layer delaminating from them.

In fairness to Photonic they are aware and have pushed new deliveries back a fair bit to sort the issue with suppliers. However, the standard semi flexible range has been fantastic from day one.

Brandon
Hi, That is really useful information and my Photonic universe 180w black flexible reinforced panel has just shown signs of delaminating. Would you know if they have managed to sort things out now as they are offering me a replacement under warranty but I do not want the same thing to happen so could request a different type/panel (LWB T6 Poptop). Any insight would be much appreciated.

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

Looking out of my upstairs bedroom window yesterday I noticed what looked like 3 birdy dooings on my solar panel looking exactly like the picture above. We have neighbours who actively encourage all manner of feathered friends with treats in their back garden, those same feathered friends fly over our house and deposit their gratitude on our vehicles, yes, I have a couple of air rifles but I am not allowed to use them on said wildlife the wife and daughter tell me.
Having only had the 180 watt photonic universe panel replaced under warranty 10 months ago and the associated grief involved with going back oop North to Shipley to get it changed, I was spurred into action to call 'the one they call Brandon' @AJCConversions . The panel is working normally, as I would expect at this time of year. Brandon tells me the delaminating top layer is actually peelable offable if it started to offend me.
Has anyone actually done that? Does the top bit really matter?!
Thoughts on a wet-wipe please!

Coincidently photonic universe have told me today that I should peel off the top layer and it will still work fine. I am uneasy about doing this so have emailed them again to double check as it is still fully working. I am also interested

Coincidently photonic universe have told me today that I should peel off the top layer and it will still work fine. I am uneasy about doing this so have emailed them again to double check as it is still fully working. I am also interested
Please keep me posted! I can't bear the thought of another panel so soon!

Two layers came off my victron panel while washing the van , I’m awaiting a replacement, they told my supplier that it’s a fault with a batch of them, I’ll leave it on while it still works fine but I’m definitely getting a replacement panel just incase .

Back