Just another AA Self Build.........

Hi, are you happy with the interior? The buffalo board is cool innit.

And then today, this was purchased! Went for the LPS 1500 as when paired with solar and the alternator charger, it should see me through most trips in the van

View attachment 226642
I need to lower mine at some point and like the look of yours. What suspension did you use supplier wise and how much if you don’t mind me asking, cheers Dar

Hi, are you happy with the interior? The buffalo board is cool innit.

I need to lower mine at some point and like the look of yours. What suspension did you use supplier wise and how much if you don’t mind me asking, cheers Dar
Yeah the interior is great! I thought the instructions could be a lot better but it is what it is. Its in now at least.

It was Sportline suspension from a user on here, had only covered 6,000 miles I believe and cost me £100 plus postage

Yeah the interior is great! I thought the instructions could be a lot better but it is what it is. Its in now at least.

It was Sportline suspension from a user on here, had only covered 6,000 miles I believe and cost me £100 plus postage
Has the suspension improved the handling?

Productive weekend!

The van now has power! Successfully wired in the Clayton LPS unit with 230v single socket, Lighting, USB socket for ipad charging and a switch control panel. Many thanks to @roadtripper for the hours he has spent explaining stuff to me. Credit to the forum in all honesty.

Still need to wire in the EHU point, Fridge when I buy it and water pump when I buy it.

Few pics (the wiring isnt finished so its not tidy)

IMG_7659.JPEG
IMG_7661.JPEG

Excuse the cut out for the control panel, my jigaw blade snapped so had to use a drill and drill multiple holes (bodge job but you cant tell once the panels in place)
IMG_7667.JPEG

This will be tidied up with cable clips once im finished
IMG_7673.JPEG

IMG_7674.JPEG

Little pic after I tidied up and put the cushions out :)
IMG_7678.JPEG

Another productive weekend on the van. This weekend I cut the hole for the sink (you only get one shot at this ha ha), plumbed in the sink and wired the 12v water pump. Also oiled the oak worktop with some Danish Oil which has given it a really nice finish. Also did the table too so it matches.

Got the overhead storage installed too and added an LED strip light which is separately switched from the main spotlights.

As well as the above, I installed the Ipad bracket.

Lastly, yesterday I ordered the black 12v fridge from Transporter HQ. Once thats in, its pretty much finished apart from solar somewhere down the line

IMG_7746.JPEGIMG_7748.JPEGIMG_7752.JPEGIMG_7753.JPEGIMG_7754.JPEGIMG_7755.JPEG

Had my first trip in the camper! Really pleased with the performance of the Clayton Power battery, didnt even require EHU due to the fact I have the alternator charging kit installed too which kept the battery topped up whilst out and about. Happily powered the fridge, lights, USB charging etc. Even had a little 800W fan heater going for a bit to take the edge off the cold air at night.

IMG_7915.JPEGIMG_7888.JPEG4df632a1-bca4-4d28-8fde-f013fc1384b4.jpg

Had my first trip in the camper! Really pleased with the performance of the Clayton Power battery, didnt even require EHU due to the fact I have the alternator charging kit installed too which kept the battery topped up whilst out and about. Happily powered the fridge, lights, USB charging etc. Even had a little 800W fan heater going for a bit to take the edge off the cold air at night.

View attachment 233702View attachment 233704View attachment 233705
Looking good Chris. :thumbsup:

Thought I'd document my attempted self build of an ex AA van
Purchase Price £14,000
Target total spend £24,000

Delivery day

View attachment 206926

First up was to remove all the ply lining and the bulkhead

View attachment 206927

View attachment 206928

Obscene amount of screws/clips/bolts

View attachment 206929

Once all that was removed, it was time to tackle the wiring. Passenger bench removed to access all the wiring and removed the battery. The first big achievement was starting the engine after all this and getting no warning lights :think smile bounce:

View attachment 206930

My current job is removing the bulkhead support frame which needs cutting out. After that it will be windows and pop top followed my insulation and sound proofing. I cant do much really until the pop top is in which is a pain as I have to save up for that :(
No point carpet lining until the pop top is in.

All pop tops seem to be £3500-£5000 installed but I've seen a company offering it for £2500 called Yorkshire Rose Camper Conversions. Reviews seem good but there's no specific reviews on their pop tops so feel free to shout up if ou have seen them yourself :thumbsup:

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.
Chris
Hi Chris, I just caught sight of the report of your conversion endeavours on the forum. I note that it was dated July 2023 and I was wondering how the finished article looked. My interest here is that I took possession of an almost identical 2017 ex AA van on 1st August 2023 for conversion and I am almost there. Particular interest to me is to ask your advice on how to get rid of the old AA battery and connected wiring. I have sought help elsewhere and I am still not sure if the auxiliary battery was purely for AA equipment power. If I take it out will it affect any function on the running of the van? Some have advised me that some functions of the operation of the van will be lost if the battery is removed. I am uncertain how truthful this may be. Any advice would be appreciated from you on this matter. Such as : will removal affect other functions? Once the battery is removed how can I disconnect it from the overall battery charging system etc. Grateful for any input. Thanks. Oh and have you finished yours yet? Can’t see a pic.

Hi Chris, I just caught sight of the report of your conversion endeavours on the forum. I note that it was dated July 2023 and I was wondering how the finished article looked. My interest here is that I took possession of an almost identical 2017 ex AA van on 1st August 2023 for conversion and I am almost there. Particular interest to me is to ask your advice on how to get rid of the old AA battery and connected wiring. I have sought help elsewhere and I am still not sure if the auxiliary battery was purely for AA equipment power. If I take it out will it affect any function on the running of the van? Some have advised me that some functions of the operation of the van will be lost if the battery is removed. I am uncertain how truthful this may be. Any advice would be appreciated from you on this matter. Such as : will removal affect other functions? Once the battery is removed how can I disconnect it from the overall battery charging system etc. Grateful for any input. Thanks. Oh and have you finished yours yet? Can’t see a pic.
Hi mate, completed pics are in this thread. My last job is to fit the external EHU point for the Clayton Battery.

The old AA battery under the passenger seat is purely for the old AA ancillaries. You wont lose function of anything that would've been installed as standard from VW in the van. A basis I use to go off was if the wiring loom was wrapped in that black tape/cloth material, that means its original VW wiring. Dont take that as gospel though and always chase.

Once you have disconnected the passenger seat battery, you will have to pull the wires through from underneath the van which run back to the main battery and then disconnect from there.

Smart "EURO 6" charging behaves differently if there are 2 batteries, so if second battery is factory installed, then the BCM should be somehow informed it is not present anymore?

Smart "EURO 6" charging behaves differently if there are 2 batteries, so if second battery is factory installed, then the BCM should be somehow informed it is not present anymore?
The second battery isnt factory installed

Hi mate, completed pics are in this thread. My last job is to fit the external EHU point for the Clayton Battery.

The old AA battery under the passenger seat is purely for the old AA ancillaries. You wont lose function of anything that would've been installed as standard from VW in the van. A basis I use to go off was if the wiring loom was wrapped in that black tape/cloth material, that means its original VW wiring. Dont take that as gospel though and always chase.

Once you have disconnected the passenger seat battery, you will have to pull the wires through from underneath the van which run back to the main battery and then disconnect from there.
Thank you so much Chris. I've asked everywhere about this and have always drawn a blank (tried VW, AA, other forums etc). I haven't visited this forum for a while and received a reminder from the forum admin to visit it. I did and your tale was the first thing I saw. Meant to be. I've had my van since August and have only fitted the rock and roll today. Bit more to do before I finish. I will arrange for access to a lift tomorrow so I can drag the wires from underneath. Thanks for the response and enjoy the ride mate. Cheers.

Thank you so much Chris. I've asked everywhere about this and have always drawn a blank (tried VW, AA, other forums etc). I haven't visited this forum for a while and received a reminder from the forum admin to visit it. I did and your tale was the first thing I saw. Meant to be. I've had my van since August and have only fitted the rock and roll today. Bit more to do before I finish. I will arrange for access to a lift tomorrow so I can drag the wires from underneath. Thanks for the response and enjoy the ride mate. Cheers.
No problem at all mate and tbh you dont need a lift, I just crawled underneath the van

Back