Just another AA Self Build.........

Reverse Camera......

Again, just my method and route, not saying its the best way, nor the correct way :)

I opted for the Wolfbox G840H rear view camera with front facing recording, this just clips onto your existing rear view mirror (which AA vans dont have so, £10 from eBay)

Ignition live was ran down the passenger A pillar, behind the glovebox and to the fusebox. The instructions tell you to find the fuses you need but luckily, I had redundant wiring (the red and blue cable) there so just pulled those out and used those two, win win!

Wiring - Live.JPEG

Rear view feed was ran into the cabin roof void and then down the B pillar to the floor where it can enter the cavity of the van that will be soundproofed and insulated. This then runs all the way to the rear arch where you need to rise up and run across to the NSR rubber hose that contains the tailgate wiring

Wiring - Rear Arch.JPEG

IMG_5819.JPEG

As picture above, you need to run the cable all the way through the rubber hose, down the tailgate and get it to bend into the void so you can grab it (pig of a job to be quite honest). I used welding rod and it did the trick after many attempts. as you can see, I then cable tied it to the existing wiring to keep it neat. I haven't documented it but the reverse camera is already in postion prior to this write up, so I then just plugged in the connection and taped it up.

Reverse Live needs running to the rear light cluster so you will need to extend the red wire as it isnt long enough when provided. The route I chose was straight out of the tailgate rubber hose, down the NSR cavity and into the light cluster (remove light cluster via two screws and then remove rubber bung. Remove the connector block and cut the GREEN/BLACK wire further up and crimp the red reverse wire into the GREEN/BLACK wire at one end then crimp the other end of the GREEN/BLACK into it.

Wiring - NSR.JPEG

Wiring - Crimping Reverse.JPEG

Thats it! You're are done (subject to a sucessful test ha ha). No finished pic of the rear view mirror camera working as the ebay mirror needed bonding on as it was a crap 3rd party copy part so it had to be left in situ to set.

Pic of the tailgate (just remove one of the numberplate lights to route the cable into the tailgate)

IMG_5820.JPEG

Another job done! This weekends plan is to start the soundproofing and insulation but then i'm done until the windows go in on the 16th August

Chris

Another weekend on the van.

The van is now soundproofed and thermal lined. I fleece filled the passenger side and boot but ran out to do the drivers side but this isnt a bad thing until I fully decide on my wiring route for the EHU.

I need more DEADN for the floor, only a few more sheets should it so I've messaged them asking if I can buy a smaller amount than a box of 40. No doubt some are thinking 'why is there DEADN on the battens' and its because the battens will be lower than the floor grooves once I applied the DEADN.

Are people thermal lining the floor? I'm worried it will raise it too much and the Kombi step wont be high enough. Im currently using 6mm battens and 2mm DEADN so 8mm high so far.

IMG_5859.JPEG

IMG_5848.JPEG

Reactions: CAB
Another job this weekend was to 'black' the cabin

IMG_5861.JPEG

I've ordered black seatbelt clips and black sun visor clips but not having much luck on the grab handles so may have to look at spraying that too. The finish is actually really really good. The most difficult part is going to be lining the existing roof liner which I've bought black and yellow GTI cloth for from THQ

Another very small job this weekend

IMG_5837.JPEG

Another job this weekend was to 'black' the cabin

View attachment 208739

I've ordered black seatbelt clips and black sun visor clips but not having much luck on the grab handles so may have to look at spraying that too. The finish is actually really really good. The most difficult part is going to be lining the existing roof liner which I've bought black and yellow GTI cloth for from THQ

Another very small job this weekend

View attachment 208740
nice work, what did you use for the black spray please?

Plasti-Kote matt black. Cant comment on how tough its going to be but I thought it was worth a try before I wrapped them (as a cheaper option)

Trimmed the bottom of the B pillars in black cloth and really happy with the results! Will go great with my black pillars and visors etc. The next really tough challenge to trimming the roof lining with my black/yellow Tartan cloth from THQ. Not looking forward to that tbh ha ha

IMG_5879.JPEG

IMG_5915.JPEG

Another step in the right direction today. I now have windows! Need to save a few more pennies to have the tailgate done but so happy with the transformation! Its crazy how bright it feels inside now.

Opted for
Nearside fixed, tinted
Offside slider, tinted and offside rear fake (full blackout, no cutting)

IMG_5968.JPEG

Also pulled the trigger on these seats. Gave up trying to source a 'cheap' passenger captains seat so opted for two single seats from a Merc AMG line.

I know the red stitching 'doesnt go' with the yellow but im not fussed to be quite honest. They're lovely seats for a bargain price

Front Seats.jpg

Front Seats2.jpg

Another step in the right direction today. I now have windows! Need to save a few more pennies to have the tailgate done but so happy with the transformation! Its crazy how bright it feels inside now.

Opted for
Nearside fixed, tinted
Offside slider, tinted and offside rear fake (full blackout, no cutting)

View attachment 209856
Did you fit the windows yourself?

No mate. I was going to but the difference in price between me doing it and a pro doing it was only a couple of hundered quid. This guy is mobile too so hassle free!
I've purchased all my glas as there was 20% off eBay code...once I find a replacement van.. I'll have to decide if I attempt it myself or find someone wanting cash in hand

Thought I'd document my attempted self build of an ex AA van
Purchase Price £14,000
Target total spend £24,000

Delivery day

View attachment 206926

First up was to remove all the ply lining and the bulkhead

View attachment 206927

View attachment 206928

Obscene amount of screws/clips/bolts

View attachment 206929

Once all that was removed, it was time to tackle the wiring. Passenger bench removed to access all the wiring and removed the battery. The first big achievement was starting the engine after all this and getting no warning lights :think smile bounce:

View attachment 206930

My current job is removing the bulkhead support frame which needs cutting out. After that it will be windows and pop top followed my insulation and sound proofing. I cant do much really until the pop top is in which is a pain as I have to save up for that :(
No point carpet lining until the pop top is in.

All pop tops seem to be £3500-£5000 installed but I've seen a company offering it for £2500 called Yorkshire Rose Camper Conversions. Reviews seem good but there's no specific reviews on their pop tops so feel free to shout up if ou have seen them yourself :thumbsup:

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.
Chris
Hey dude, We have also bought a 67 plate ex AA van in June this year.
I have yet to tackle the wiring under the pasenger seat aside from disconecting everythign linked to the battery.
My question to you is with the trailer module, where does it connect to as atm with it just unpowered i am gettign a bulb warning on the dashboard.

Thanks in advance for any help
James

Hey dude, We have also bought a 67 plate ex AA van in June this year.
I have yet to tackle the wiring under the pasenger seat aside from disconecting everythign linked to the battery.
My question to you is with the trailer module, where does it connect to as atm with it just unpowered i am gettign a bulb warning on the dashboard.

Thanks in advance for any help
James
So mine was left unplugged inside the passenger bench. It traces all the way back to the trailer connection at the rear. I believe from memory it runs under the van in conduit. You might have to remove some plastic undertray. What I will say, I had no warnings on the dash though..........

Ok thanks. Ours has domehow disabled the fog light at the rear. Was it connected to the van lighting loom as well as the trailer hook up at the rear?

No mate. I was going to but the difference in price between me doing it and a pro doing it was only a couple of hundered quid. This guy is mobile too so hassle free!

Do you mind me asking who you used please? looking to get my leaky kombi windows replaced

Back