Target total spend £24,000

Delivery day

IMG_5569.JPEG

First up was to remove all the ply lining and the bulkhead

IMG_5586.JPEG

IMG_5593.JPEG

Obscene amount of screws/clips/bolts

IMG_5595.JPEG

Once all that was removed, it was time to tackle the wiring. Passenger bench removed to access all the wiring and removed the battery. The first big achievement was starting the engine after all this and getting no warning lights :think smile bounce:

IMG_5712.JPEG

My current job is removing the bulkhead support frame which needs cutting out. After that it will be windows and pop top followed my insulation and sound proofing. I cant do much really until the pop top is in which is a pain as I have to save up for that :(
No point carpet lining until the pop top is in.

All pop tops seem to be £3500-£5000 installed but I've seen a company offering it for £2500 called Yorkshire Rose Camper Conversions. Reviews seem good but there's no specific reviews on their pop tops so feel free to shout up if ou have seen them yourself :thumbsup:

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.
Chris

Watching with keen interest, love a good build thread as @z1ts says we love pictures!

Thought I'd document my attempted self build of an ex AA van
Purchase Price £14,000
Target total spend £24,000

Delivery day

View attachment 206926

First up was to remove all the ply lining and the bulkhead

View attachment 206927

View attachment 206928

Obscene amount of screws/clips/bolts

View attachment 206929

Once all that was removed, it was time to tackle the wiring. Passenger bench removed to access all the wiring and removed the battery. The first big achievement was starting the engine after all this and getting no warning lights :think smile bounce:

View attachment 206930

My current job is removing the bulkhead support frame which needs cutting out. After that it will be windows and pop top followed my insulation and sound proofing. I cant do much really until the pop top is in which is a pain as I have to save up for that :(
No point carpet lining until the pop top is in.

All pop tops seem to be £3500-£5000 installed but I've seen a company offering it for £2500 called Yorkshire Rose Camper Conversions. Reviews seem good but there's no specific reviews on their pop tops so feel free to shout up if ou have seen them yourself :thumbsup:

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.
Chris
Hi, I am in the same position as you. Just got a panel van. I've done my pricing and I think I'll be closer to £14 for the conversion. Regarding the poptop, I've looked at all the big names, skyline, westbuds, and some new players like storm. I found a company called flipin dubz that fit drivelodge poptops, for£2750, the interesting bit is the roof has a "proper" welded strengthen frame, m1 tested, all the others seem to with a frame is only connected to the van in 4 separate selections.

Check out drivelodge, there is a tour of their factory on YouTube and an interesting installation video

£14 k for a 67 plate. What mileage? It's a bargain.. I've just paid £21 for the same year, but mine is the highline

Looks good, always satisfying ripping all the old stuff out and it still starting!!

Hi, I am in the same position as you. Just got a panel van. I've done my pricing and I think I'll be closer to £14 for the conversion. Regarding the poptop, I've looked at all the big names, skyline, westbuds, and some new players like storm. I found a company called flipin dubz that fit drivelodge poptops, for£2750, the interesting bit is the roof has a "proper" welded strengthen frame, m1 tested, all the others seem to with a frame is only connected to the van in 4 separate selections.

Check out drivelodge, there is a tour of their factory on YouTube and an interesting installation video
I’ll have a look tomorrow mate. I had a quote from a very highly regarded company for £15k so I’m hoping if I do what I can myself I’ll get it in for £10k. I wish I had the funds for someone to do it for me though!

Plan for this weekend is to run the cabling for the reverse camera that I have bought. I opted for the rear view mirror type off Amazon. Seems to get good reviews and I like the recording feature it has with a front facing camera too. Makes sense to do it now whilst I have no ply in the way and will obviosuly run the wires away from the roof as that will be cut open at some stage for the pop top.

A nice update is on 16th August I will have windows! I was going to attempt this myself but i've found a mobile company who offer this service and tbh with what they are charging, it just makes sense to let a professional do it. The price difference between myself doing it and them supplying AND installing is £260 for 5 windows. Some may see it as £260 that could've gone elsewhere but I think its worth it :thumbsup:

Bulkhead support removal. My method worked but not saying it’s correct :)

Drill out spot welds
IMG_5757.jpeg

Use claw hammer to lever the support away at each weld
IMG_5759.jpeg

I then used a flat head screwdriver and whacked the weld with a hammer (worked a treat)
IMG_5758.jpeg

Then ground down the spot welds until smooth

IMG_5760.jpeg

Hope this helps someone on their journey. Just need to tidy up the welds on the bottom horizontal support. Process for that is to grind out the spot welds and prise off

Chris

Looks like a good base and you've made a good start.

It great to see the transition of these vans from panel vans to camper/day vans.

You don't have to start with a pop top, I only got mine done last week and the carpet lining was done the year prior. If you are doing the carpet yourself then its easier to do without the pop top in the way.

Yeah its not too bad, couple of battle scars that im not happy with but my mate owns a bodyshop :)

It needs to be done at some point so im think I'll just prioritise it. Plan is to soundproof, insulate, window installation and then just stop works until I can afford the pop top. After thats done, onto to carpet lining which Im thinking i'll attempt myself

Next update with a little 'how to' will be the reverse camera. All cables are in place now apart from the feed from the roof into the tailgate as its an absolute pig to try and feed the cable down. The corragated rubber hose from roof to tailgate is also a pig. It was much easier on my barn door. I temporarily connected it all up and it worked so yeah, GO ME!!!!! :think smile bounce:

Defo need a write up / how to install these mirror dashcams..

I used some bike brake cable that I had, to fish the camera cables back up through the tailgate, worked a treat.

I used some bike brake cable that I had, to fish the camera cables back up through the tailgate, worked a treat.
Yeah going to have another go tomorrow hopefully with some steel wire. All the wiring at the front is done so its just this last bit then wire into the reverse light

Back