Installing 12v Socket /s - How Its Done -

I’d also like to install this USB charger that doesn’t draw power when the ignition is off.

⬆ Thlevel USB C Car Charger Socket Dual USB Outlet PD & QC 3.0 Fast Car Charger Socket

I've noticed the battery level on my phone (iPhone XS Max) often decreases when plugged into these USB ports – not always, but more often than not. For example, I'll start a journey with 33% battery level and finish my 30-min journey with 28% battery life, despite "charging" the entire time.

What might be the reason for this?

I believe that the 36W produced by the USB Type-C should be enough to charge the phone, despite the screen being on for maps. If I remember correctly, iPhone can only utilise a maximum of 20W when charging. Is it possible that this socket would sometimes provide less wattage for some reason?

Any help would be appreciated, I really need a reliable way to stop my phone from running flat as I rely on it for navigation!

Got a pic?

Sure. Below is a screenshot from the battery reporting screen on my phone; the light green backgrounds show when the phone was plugged into power.

The green slither that I've pointed to (with a blue arrow) was a 30-minute drive with the phone plugged into the 36W USB Type-C port – this shows how the battery level decreased during this time. The drive was mostly A roads, so no stop-start. I use the Waze app for navigation, and stream music via bluetooth to the T6 headunit.

1684835600795.png

Here's the setup:
IMG_2821 copy.jpeg

It's powered via a fuse-tap from SC35 (the top one in the photo below):

1684836537919.jpeg

Sure. Below is a screenshot from the battery reporting screen on my phone; the light green backgrounds show when the phone was plugged into power.

The green slither that I've pointed to (with a blue arrow) was a 30-minute drive with the phone plugged into the 36W USB Type-C port – this shows how the battery level decreased during this time. The drive was mostly A roads, so no stop-start. I use the Waze app for navigation, and stream music via bluetooth to the T6 headunit.

View attachment 199931

Here's the setup:
View attachment 199932

View attachment 199934
Looking at your chart and plots it would indicate that the charger is the issue, not providing power that the phone needs.

I'd look at replacing that with a better quality one.?

Your other bits look good

View attachment 199931

Here's the setup:
View attachment 199932

View attachment 199934
Can I ask what you did with the original 12v socket? Did you just leave it below the level of the dash? Did you consider using the OEM wiring? It's tricky to see but how thick are those red live wires? Resistance all adds up, and if the length of red live plus a low current output, plus a long power lead add up to a large resistance then 12v (14.4v when driving) will drop considerably. Try asking if anyone locally has a loop current meter, to measure what is flowing through the red live wire.

Have you tried the cable that came with the phone? Your anker cable should be good but I had a same issue with cheap charger cables. Used the real one and works fine. Worth a shot?

A few going points here ...

Assuming you have a good 0v chassis connection.

And assuming you have a good decent cable gauge from the fuse tap to the usb charger.

Poor connection or thin wire will cause volt drop under load that will cause the charger to drop in power.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the best way of protecting or covering the rear spade connections when a 12v socket is installed? I was looking to install some into some panels where there is insulation and thought it best to cover or protect them.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the best way of protecting or covering the rear spade connections when a 12v socket is installed? I was looking to install some into some panels where there is insulation and thought it best to cover or protect them.
Heatshrink

Back