How high is too high (when you're low)?

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My van came with a set of H&R coilovers installed. I'm 99% sure they are the standard drop ones:

I'm not a fan of having a huge drop on these vans but I do really rate the ride and handling with these shocks. So, I wound the coilovers up a bit to get a bit more height at the front. This was especially needed after I installed my new wheels. The pic below shows the wheel/arch with the coils wound up around 2cm from where they were set when I bought the van:

1634027019322.png

For me, this was still a hair low so I wound up the shocks another 1cm or so. I don't have a pic handy but the ride height now looks spot on to me (with an equal gap all the way around the wheel and a bit more clearance for the front spoiler). Van also drives great. All good.

Only concern I have is whether I've set the van too high for the coilovers? Is that even possible? I think the drop is now right at the minimum limit for the kit and found that the last few 'winds' of the collar met with a lot more resistance as they started to really compress the spring (van was jacked up).

For reference, the center to arch measurement is now ~41.5cm vs stock which I think is about 46-47cm.

I also noticed that the dirt shield thing inside the spring now only just meets the shock body:

1634027310013.png

Hopefully I'm not committing a major gaff here as I'm really chuffed with how the van looks and drives now.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Obviously if the height you currently have was an instruction for a new purchase we wouldn't have recommended this kit for you , But you had it already so we understand what you have done and as long as you are happy that is all that matters , You are above the highest setting for the kit but if you aren't getting any adverse effects leave well alone

The protective rubber wont hurt as it is and the shocks have special seals that wipe dust from the shaft continually as the shock goes up and down so if dust gets in it wont hurt . .

Thanks for the incredibly helpful and pragmatic advice!

As you suggest, I'll now leave the height alone and, at last, get the tracking done.

Cheers.

Back