H&R coilovers rusty after 17 months

Adscan

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I had a set of H&R coilovers fitted to my t6 in Nov 21.

I checked my wheels today and noticed that the black coating has peeled off the springs and are going rusty. I understand that they face all the weather but should they be this bad after 17 months?

I must admit I don't polish them every Sunday but this is just general use and I don't live by the sea where there is a salt issue.

My original springs weren't this bad after 5 years of being on the van.

Opinions would be great to hear.

20230421_185934.jpg

20230421_190010.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly we don’t have control over the weather in UK , my other business in South Africa has never seen a broken spring or a badly rusted one. In uk the most replaced car part is road springs. . The warranty on springs is probably covering them breaking not rusting , as you all know we do thousands of vans and we have very few issues with springs . Remember that the environment in the wheel arch of a car is very hostile. Stone chips cause the paint to crack or chip, the weather does the rest .
we see loads of standard springs breaking and snapping all the time This isn’t unusual . In our experience the H and R springs seem to be better at weathering the storm than most But they are the best you can get . If you want to pop in we can check it out and make sure the springs are ok . In six years of selling these kits we have had one rear spring break , I have seen B14 kits with 3 broken springs on one van in less than 18 months .

Sadly we don’t have control over the weather in UK , my other business in South Africa has never seen a broken spring or a badly rusted one. In uk the most replaced car part is road springs. . The warranty on springs is probably covering them breaking not rusting , as you all know we do thousands of vans and we have very few issues with springs . Remember that the environment in the wheel arch of a car is very hostile. Stone chips cause the paint to crack or chip, the weather does the rest .
we see loads of standard springs breaking and snapping all the time This isn’t unusual . In our experience the H and R springs seem to be better at weathering the storm than most But they are the best you can get . If you want to pop in we can check it out and make sure the springs are ok . In six years of selling these kits we have had one rear spring break , I have seen B14 kits with 3 broken springs on one van in less than 18 months .
I appreciate your reply but I dont expect these to be peeling like an onion after 17 months use. As I said my factory springs were in a lot better shape after 5 years let alone 17 months. I suppose i am asking is this normal?

I was expecting the quality to be better to be honest. I would be interested to see what the condition is of others with the same age and set up.

Surely the purpose of the plastic / painted coating is to prevent rusting and without it will speed up the rusting process (life expectancy). Again these are only 17 months old.

I am not happy with the springs and the rate of corrosion. Do you have the contact details of the manufacturer and any info on the warranty as I don't want to be changing these every two years due to not being fit for purpose.

I appreciate your reply but I dont expect these to be peeling like an onion after 17 months use. As I said my factory springs were in a lot better shape after 5 years let alone 17 months. I suppose i am asking is this normal?

I was expecting the quality to be better to be honest. I would be interested to see what the condition is of others with the same age and set up.

Surely the purpose of the plastic / painted coating is to prevent rusting and without it will speed up the rusting process (life expectancy). Again these are only 17 months old.

I am not happy with the springs and the rate of corrosion. Do you have the contact details of the manufacturer and any info on the warranty as I don't want to be changing these every two years due to not being fit for purpose.
We are so well known on here. . Contacting us would have been the first thing I would do . Members know how helpful we are. . Even on kits we dont supply.

I’ll get the warranty info for you direct from Germany , contacting Euro car parts will be frustrating to say the least, Did you file the warranty documentation that came with the kit , it’s in the spanner pack .

Sadly we don’t have control over the weather in UK ,
Surely the manufacturer knows the UK climate conditions (and most of the EU) so they should be designed to take our weather factors into account and have appropriate protection? If not why supply a product that's not fit for the geographical market? I have been planning on swapping out my suspension but this as certainly raised some concerns. With give my original springs a look over and see what condition they are in.

I had a set of H&R coilovers fitted to my t6 in Nov 21 by CRS and all has been well.

I checked my wheels today and noticed that the black coating has peeled off the springs and are going rusty. I understand that they face all the weather but should they be this bad after 17 months?

I must admit I don't polish them every Sunday but this is just general use and I don't live by the sea where there is a salt issue.

Opinions would be great to here

View attachment 196727

View attachment 196728
I had h&r coil overs to a previous transporter ..
Both front struts failed & rear springs inside 2yr
Sure you can purchase individual parts for that kit .....

You could almost argue that springs over here are a consumable, I’ve not personally had a broken spring on my old B14’s despite living 500ft from the sea and towing a 1900kg caravan.

I have mates with T5/6’s and they’ve pretty much all had a spring go at some point, some look rustier than others and others that look ok but have snapped.

I’d be amazed if H&R offer any kind of warranty on cosmetic damage, but you never know if you don’t ask.

I’ve got the Evo springs from CRS now, if they last as long as my Billy springs I’ll be very happy ;)

I don’t know how any manufacturer could stop the protective layer from coming off in our climate. The paint or whatever would need to be flexible and chip proof in horrendous conditions.

Pete

I don’t know how any manufacturer could stop the protective layer from coming off in our climate. The paint or whatever would need to be flexible and chip proof in horrendous conditions.

Pete
OEM manage it no problem. Aftermarket generally don’t.

Those springs will break in a year or two for sure. I’ve had loads of HR springs snap over the years. Annoying, but they are generally cheap enough for a set to not be massive problem.

OEM manage it no problem. Aftermarket generally don’t.

Those springs will break in a year or two for sure. I’ve had loads of HR springs snap over the years. Annoying, but they are generally cheap enough for a set to not be massive problem.
I am trying to guage if this is normal or should i be concerned of the sate of these springs after what is in my view a short space of time. I get that they take a lot of abuse due to our weather but my factory springs were in a far better state when they came off.

How are others running coilovers holding up?

They do look particularly bad. I live in north east Scotland, near the sea, shit rusts up here….. none of my Van coilovers springs look like that and they’ve been on longer.

The threads/damper bodies though, look fairly typical.

I would give them a blast with the pressure washer or at least threaten them with an hosepipe, then when they're eventually dry again (probably mid August) fart around with the satin black Hammerite and a 1" brush to make them look like new.:thumbsup:

I had a set of H&R coilovers fitted to my t6 in Nov 21 by CRS and all has been well.

Opinions would be great to hear.

View attachment 196727

View attachment 196728
Your pictures have been sent to H&R head office in Germany , they have asked for a purchase date from us please . They want proof i guess that these are 17 months old . If you have an invoice number i can work with that .

Your pictures have been sent to H&R head office in Germany , they have asked for a purchase date from us please . They want proof i guess that these are 17 months old . If you have an invoice number i can work with that .
Invoice date was 30/11/21
Invoice: SI-469

If you need the actual invoice I can message you a copy.

So this wear is not normal then?

Much apreciated

++Update++

I received repacement springs from H&R under warranty. Interestingly the replacements are red where my original ones were black and the coating seems much better in quality.

I wonder if the black springs were known to have premature rust issues??

Anyone with the black springs fitted on their H&R coilovers you might want to check on how well they are holding up.

Last edited:
Back