Hillside Birchover

Just wanted to say hello
Picked up my Birchover (2022) this afternoon. Have been reading my way around the forum with interest recently and this thread was useful when researching the conversions. Looking forward to some adventures once I’ve read through the manuals!

9F452B21-DEE7-42FC-9C7E-DC0B524622A6.jpeg

Congratulations! I also have a Ravenna Blue Birchover and am heading for my one year anniversary.

Is this your first van or are you an "old hand" at all this camper lark :)
Brilliant! Have you kept it standard or made any changes?

It’s my first van, hired a few and then spent most of last year pondering the choice of a huge motorhome or caravan and then as usual went full circle and settled back on a VW.

Brilliant! Have you kept it standard or made any changes?
A few minor changes, not my first leisure vehicle so I know what works for me.

First thing to come out was the grill. Never going to use it and the resulting additional cupboard space above the fridge is far more useful.

The the rear window cassette came out and I can now see what is behind me! Much easier to remove than expected and makes a massive difference when driving.

Also got rid of the stupid one-legged Fiamma table and replaced it with a small folding one that is far more useful because it is stable and can be put anywhere.

Removed the open shelf above sink,
removed the wardrobe door which prevents you from access that space if you're inside (unless you have the arms of an orangutang),
removed the doors in the boot so that I don't have to move everything out to get access to the rear of the under-seat storage, and if the weather is kind this weekend will be adapting the stupid high-level shelf at the back which cannot be accessed when the roof is down.

None of this is a severe as it sounds and apart from physically cutting out the front of that high-level back shelf everything else could be reversed in an afternoon if I wanted to. Although now that VW have killed the T6 I have absolutely no plans to sell !

Snap, I have a Ravenna Blue Birchover as well. Great colour choice.
Had mine since early March and loving it although I’m finding minor things on every trip away.

Have a Hillside Birchover bought new in 2021. Love it. Only significant mods are addition of Climair wind deflectors (huge improvement in ventilation when camped up) and tinting the clear tailgate window to match the other rear windows.

Have a Hillside Birchover bought new in 2021. Love it. Only significant mods are addition of Climair wind deflectors (huge improvement in ventilation when camped up) and tinting the clear tailgate window to match the other rear windows.
@Jamesie
Agree about wind deflectors (mine are Team Heko), they really reduce the condensation when the windows are left open an inch, particularly when used with an external thermal screen. The interior cab curtain supplied is pretty rubbish, although we do use it when only staying somewhere for a single night.
Tinting the rear tailgate window is on my wish list but my wife doesn’t agree; she says looking out of the tinted windows makes the view and weather look dull. To be fair, the weather has been pretty dull, but it would make the van look so much better!!!
Can you post a rear pic, so I can sell the idea?

@Jamesie
Agree about wind deflectors (mine are Team Heko), they really reduce the condensation when the windows are left open an inch, particularly when used with an external thermal screen. The interior cab curtain supplied is pretty rubbish, although we do use it when only staying somewhere for a single night.
Tinting the rear tailgate window is on my wish list but my wife doesn’t agree; she says looking out of the tinted windows makes the view and weather look dull. To be fair, the weather has been pretty dull, but it would make the van look so much better!!!
Can you post a rear pic, so I can sell the idea?
Just do it! Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :)

A few minor changes, not my first leisure vehicle so I know what works for me.

First thing to come out was the grill. Never going to use it and the resulting additional cupboard space above the fridge is far more useful.

The the rear window cassette came out and I can now see what is behind me! Much easier to remove than expected and makes a massive difference when driving.

Also got rid of the stupid one-legged Fiamma table and replaced it with a small folding one that is far more useful because it is stable and can be put anywhere.

Removed the open shelf above sink,
removed the wardrobe door which prevents you from access that space if you're inside (unless you have the arms of an orangutang),
removed the doors in the boot so that I don't have to move everything out to get access to the rear of the under-seat storage, and if the weather is kind this weekend will be adapting the stupid high-level shelf at the back which cannot be accessed when the roof is down.

None of this is a severe as it sounds and apart from physically cutting out the front of that high-level back shelf everything else could be reversed in an afternoon if I wanted to. Although now that VW have killed the T6 I have absolutely no plans to sell !
That’s quite the list, mostly removal based! But I can already see some of those points eg the rear shelf that’s not accessible with the roof down.

I am hoping to make a few tweaks but I can see a list developing! Wind deflectors have been added to it, thanks guys

Reactions: CAB
@sarah_86 I meant to add, if you buy nothing else for your van, get one of these:

Dashboard seal

Or leave the gap open and watch as it swallows parking tickets, coins, pens, and possibly small pets and irritating children.
Honestly, no idea what VW were smoking the day someone thought it was OK to leave a gap like that o_O
I can’t believe they’d design it that way when literally all tradesmen pile paper up on the dash!
Thanks for the recommendation I will be ordering

I can’t believe they’d design it that way when literally all tradesmen pile paper up on the dash!
Thanks for the recommendation I will be ordering

It is not the paper which will be a problem.

It is all the small things which will rattle, endlessly, for the next 85,000 miles (or you decide that paying hundreds to get the dash dismantled so that all the detritus can be removed is better than the incoming nervous breakdown. :devil: )

This looks great, think it’ll be one of the first mods as quite quick and easy to sort. Did you get a company to do it or DIY?

Edit: also are those mudflaps another addition?
I got a company to do the tint, the mud flaps are VW items I fitted, not cheap but they went on easy and fit well.

Back