Hillside Birchover

Emailed Hillside last week to arrange transfer of the remaining warranty on my camper (runs until July 2025). The previous owner told me he had checked it could be transferred and told me there was a 'small admin fee'. Not sure if anyone else has come across this, but they charge £95 for what is essentially a name and address update!!! I was expecting the standard £20-30 type thing but this was a bit of a shock o_O

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Emailed Hillside last week to arrange transfer of the remaining warranty on my camper (runs until July 2025). The previous owner told me he had checked it could be transferred and told me there was a 'small admin fee'. Not sure if anyone else has come across this, but they charge £95 for what is essentially a name and address update!!! I was expecting the standard £20-30 type thing but this was a bit of a shock o_O
At least you got the warranty transferred.

I bought a 12-month old Birchover from their dealer in Kendal and when I phoned Hillside direct I was told in no uncertain terms that warranty was not transferrable. Period. Never. Do Not Pass Go, do not collect £200.

At least you got the warranty transferred.

I bought a 12-month old Birchover from their dealer in Kendal and when I phoned Hillside direct I was told in no uncertain terms that warranty was not transferrable. Period. Never. Do Not Pass Go, do not collect £200.
wow that sounds very unfair. Have there been any circumstances where you’d have needed to use it during ownership?

I don’t see what difference it makes to them, they obviously price in a warranty cost at the point of original sale and it’s the same van so why shouldn’t it transfer?
I suspect like most warranties that a lot could end up in the wear and tear category and I think you’d probably be able to salvage appliance warranty by serial no etc. but with the roof and RIB bed being relatively high cost I’ve gone for it. If they’d not been local to me or there was less than a year to go I don’t think I’d have bothered.

wow that sounds very unfair. Have there been any circumstances where you’d have needed to use it during ownership?
Thankfully @sarah_86 one year into ownership and there are no problems.
Am I right in thinking you bought direct from Hillside? If so, perhaps that's why you got different treatment?

Hillside are not perfect (I don't think there are many, if any, companies who are) but they do build a good product and despite a few niggles I am very pleased that after years of deliberations this is the VW conversion I went with.

Thankfully @sarah_86 one year into ownership and there are no problems.
Am I right in thinking you bought direct from Hillside? If so, perhaps that's why you got different treatment?

Hillside are not perfect (I don't think there are many, if any, companies who are) but they do build a good product and despite a few niggles I am very pleased that after years of deliberations this is the VW conversion I went with.
That’s good to hear

No, I bought privately from the first owner who advised me he’d spoken to them about transferring it.

Yes I agree the conversion is a decent standard compared to some I’ve seen and I am pleased with it.

Dashboard seal arrived ready for installation this evening and getting the rear window tinted this afternoon to match the side windows. Just removed the carpet/blind panel from the tailgate, only 6 screws so was nice and easy.

Main thing annoying me at the moment, which I doubt is Hillside specific, is the dribble from the shower connector after disconnecting the hose. I’m worried about water soaking into the bottom of the rear cupboard panel as the rubber edge strip sort of funnels it down to the bottom of the panel. Might put a bead of silicone around there to divert it away from the panel - water and wood just don’t mix after all!!

Reactions: CAB
Main thing annoying me at the moment, which I doubt is Hillside specific, is the dribble from the shower connector after disconnecting the hose. I’m worried about water soaking into the bottom of the rear cupboard panel as the rubber edge strip sort of funnels it down to the bottom of the panel. Might put a bead of silicone around there to divert it away from the panel - water and wood just don’t mix after all!!

@sarah_86 - I get round that by disconnecting the hose with one hand whilst holding a flannel/tea towel/something absorbent over the connector to catch all the drips.

I assume it is happening because the shower head is still pressurised? Whichever one of us gets there first - maybe try turning off the pump to release the pressure in the hose?

Last edited:
I don't have a Hillside, but can you turn the pump off before disconnecting the shower, thus decreasing the pressure? I was advised that for the shower attachment in mine ;)

It’s reassuring to read the feedback about Hillside Leisure. I‘m currently waiting for a 4Motion LWB Birchover to be built.

When I was researching VW campervan converters, Hillside seemed to offer the best blend of quality, practicality and functionality. They were also one of a handful of companies that could boast the holy trinity of NCC approval, European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval and Volkswagen Motorhome qualified converter.

Now, after a wait of almost 2 years (I ordered in June 2021), the base panel van has been built and shipped from Germany, and currently awaits conversion into a Birchover. Hopefully, I’ll be taking delivery around late July so am interested in others’ experiences and the modifications made. My first mod will be to add a solar panel so I’m interested to find out what habitation electrics Hillside are currently fitting to Birchovers, mainly so I can decide whether to fit a Renogy DC-DC with MPPT controller. Sadly, their online and printed information is very short on technical detail but maybe that’s a reluctance to publish proprietary information that other converters would find useful.

Last edited:
It’s reassuring to read the feedback about Hillside Leisure. I‘m currently waiting for a 4Motion LWB Birchover to be built.

When I was researching VW campervan converters, Hillside seemed to offer the best blend of quality, practicality and functionality. They were also one of a handful of companies that could boast the holy trinity of NCC approval, European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval and Volkswagen Motorhome qualified converter.

Now, after a wait of almost 2 years (I ordered in June 2021), the base panel van has been built and shipped from Germany, and currently awaits conversion into a Birchover. Hopefully, I’ll be taking delivery around late July so am interested in others’ experiences and the modifications made. My first mod will be to add a solar panel so I’m interested to find out what habitation electrics Hillside are currently fitting to Birchovers, mainly so I can decide whether to fit a Renogy DC-DC with MPPT controller. Sadly, their online and printed information is very short on technical detail but maybe that’s a reluctance to publish proprietary information that other converters would find useful.
@Captain Quick
Hillside still make use of the standard “optional” VW factory fitted second battery under the passenger seat, with the VW split charge relay.

• Wow
Reactions: Bav
I don't have a Hillside, but can you turn the pump off before disconnecting the shower, thus decreasing the pressure? I was advised that for the shower attachment in mine ;)
Definitely going to try this, pump off then I’ll open the shower outlet to drain it and finally disconnect and see if it still happens. Will report back tomorrow!

exciting times then! Not long til your Birchover is ready

solar panel is high on my list - currently researching whether low profile flexible panels really can be reliable as I see a hell of a lot of posts about failed panels due to lack of air circulation. Was also considering the Renogy combined charger and controller as it seemed a neat upgrade which kills two birds with one stone, but someone I spoke to at the Peterborough show a few weeks ago put me off by saying if it fails you lose both systems so better to have the two separate.

Mine is a July 2022 model and as EAN said the leisure battery install is straight out of VW with the inherent charging pitfalls which are well documented in a thread on this forum. I’m still working my way through that thread, certainly a lot to read! As far as I can tell it’s not too difficult to switch over to DC-DC as VW have run the necessary cables to under the passenger seat for us.

In my book pack there is a manual for a CBE CB516-3 battery charger which must be connected up to the EHU system.

@Captain Quick
Hillside still make use of the standard “optional” VW factory fitted second battery under the passenger seat, with the VW split charge relay.
Thanks for info Ean and Sarah. It all sounds rather primitive for a van fitted with a smart alternator to me so it looks like I’ll be replacing the relay with a Renogy 12V 30A DC- DC on-board battery charger (with integral MPPT) at the earliest opportunity. They seem to have a low failure rate so I’m not too worried about the single unit. The location of the second leisure battery under the passenger seat should be straightforward to upgrade the installation. I guess the only issue I’ll have to resolve is where to run a cable to pick up an ignition switched feed to control the charger from the battery location.

As far as solar panel is concerned I’ve settled on a rigid Renogy 200W 12V Monocrystalline panel mounted on a SCA roof rack system from Banwy Leisure mainly due to the high failure rate of flexible panels stuck to the roof. Working out the best way to route the cable into the habitation area seems to be a bit of a challenge though.

Last edited:
@Captain Quick My understanding, from reading the various threads on this forum, is that the VW split charge relay system has an engine run signal feed to control the relay switching, so swapping out for the Renogy will be straightforward.
The mains operated battery charger that @sarah_86 mentions is located behind a panel in the cupboard that houses the circuit breakers and water heater switch, just to the side of the rear seats and is rated 16A max for lead acid type batteries only.
My intention is to eventually go Lithium; so my 1st upgrade to the electrical system is going to be the mains charger, swapping in situ for a Victron unit and then replace the split charge system with a Renogy DC-DC over the next winter when the van won’t be in use. My plan (which may change) is to actually put the Renogy under the drivers seat as that only has the heater pipe under it and so there is plenty of room, giving me more space under the passenger seat for a larger Lithium battery at a later date.
I’ve currently only spent single nights off grid and book EHU pitches for longer stays; I have my doubts that the system supplied by Hillside would last a full weekend, but I’ll put it to the test some time this Season (Which is my 1st, so it’s all a learning experience).

@Captain Quick My understanding, from reading the various threads on this forum, is that the VW split charge relay system has an engine run signal feed to control the relay switching, so swapping out for the Renogy will be straightforward.
The mains operated battery charger that @sarah_86 mentions is located behind a panel in the cupboard that houses the circuit breakers and water heater switch, just to the side of the rear seats and is rated 16A max for lead acid type batteries only.
My intention is to eventually go Lithium; so my 1st upgrade to the electrical system is going to be the mains charger, swapping in situ for a Victron unit and then replace the split charge system with a Renogy DC-DC over the next winter when the van won’t be in use. My plan (which may change) is to actually put the Renogy under the drivers seat as that only has the heater pipe under it and so there is plenty of room, giving me more space under the passenger seat for a larger Lithium battery at a later date.
I’ve currently only spent single nights off grid and book EHU pitches for longer stays; I have my doubts that the system supplied by Hillside would last a full weekend, but I’ll put it to the test some time this Season (Which is my 1st, so it’s all a learning experience).
You beat me to it - I am also sure I have read the standard VW setup has an IGN live under the passenger seat. It's somewhere in the excellent 24 page thread by Dellmassive on DC DC charging (forgive me, I couldn't remember which page!).

Ah yes in the consumer unit cupboard there is one panel I haven't looked behind yet, think a screwdriver is required, but I assumed it was probably hidden behind there as it's in the vicinity of the exterior hookup point.

Sounds like we all have similar plans in terms of the charging system, although I'm undecided about going lithium. The concept is great, but comes at a high cost I guess. Feel like I'd like to test out solar in combination with a decent DC DC charger and see how that is. The Hillside guidebook (which does have a number of errors in it!) reckons 3 days for the fridge etc but I am yet to verify this.

Interesting idea regarding space under the driver's seat. I had wondered whether there was enough room under the passenger side but hadn't thought of this option. I'd defaulted to next to the leisure battery wanting to keep cable runs short but I guess it depends how much space is freed up when the SCR is removed.

You beat me to it - I am also sure I have read the standard VW setup has an IGN live under the passenger seat. It's somewhere in the excellent 24 page thread by Dellmassive on DC DC charging (forgive me, I couldn't remember which page!).

Ah yes in the consumer unit cupboard there is one panel I haven't looked behind yet, think a screwdriver is required, but I assumed it was probably hidden behind there as it's in the vicinity of the exterior hookup point.

Sounds like we all have similar plans in terms of the charging system, although I'm undecided about going lithium. The concept is great, but comes at a high cost I guess. Feel like I'd like to test out solar in combination with a decent DC DC charger and see how that is. The Hillside guidebook (which does have a number of errors in it!) reckons 3 days for the fridge etc but I am yet to verify this.

Interesting idea regarding space under the driver's seat. I had wondered whether there was enough room under the passenger side but hadn't thought of this option. I'd defaulted to next to the leisure battery wanting to keep cable runs short but I guess it depends how much space is freed up when the SCR is removed.
I know I will ultimately replace the factory supplied auxiliary AGM battery with a LiFePO4 battery. Initially though I will keep the AGM type until it actually dies or my power requirements (a couple of days off-grid) change significantly. That’ll keep the costs down a bit. Working out my power requirements (running a fridge, LED lights, phone charger and tablet) a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery and a 200W solar panel should cover things. Fortunately, the Renogy DC-DC charger supports all battery types so will just needs to be switched over to lithium setting when the time comes. It’s very good news to hear that there’s an ignition feed adjacent to the battery the which simplify installation of the Renogy charger.

Right now, my first step is to buy the SCA roof rail system from Banwy. I’m thinking of installing this myself after delivery as it doesn’t look too difficult. This will allow me to fix the solar panel to the roof. The part I still haven’t figured out is the best way to route the wiring from the solar panel down into the van interior and hook it up to the Renogy charger under the front seat. I may need to ask Hillside to install this during the build but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

As you say, we all seem to have similar plans for upgrading our Birchovers.

Last edited:
I know I will ultimately replace the factory supplied auxiliary AGM battery with a LiFePO4 battery. Initially though I will keep the AGM type until it actually dies or my power requirements (a couple of days off-grid) change significantly. That’ll keep the costs down a bit. Working out my power requirements (running a fridge, LED lights, phone charger and tablet) a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery and a 200W solar panel should cover things. Fortunately, the Renogy DC-DC charger supports all battery types so will just needs to be switched over to lithium setting when the time comes. It’s very good news to hear that there’s an ignition feed adjacent to the battery the which simplify installation of the Renogy charger.

Right now, my first step is to buy the SCA roof rail system from Banwy. I’m thinking of installing this myself after delivery as it doesn’t look too difficult. This will allow me to fix the solar panel to the roof. The part I still haven’t figured out is the best way to route the wiring from the solar panel down into the van interior and hook it up to the Renogy charger under the front seat. I may need to ask Hillside to install this during the build but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

As you say, we all seem to have similar plans for upgrading our Birchovers.
@Captain Quick My experience with Hillside is that if it isn’t what they offer as standard or as an option then they dont want to get involved. At the time of ordering I wanted a different solar panel (200w) and controller (Victron) to that which they offered. They said they’d rather not as they selected their components on price margin and warranty (reliability). They didn’t want to get involved with an unknown (Victron!!!). I understood their point of view though and left it.
So far I’ve not fitted any solar and actually not sure I ever will now. I reckon a large capacity Lithium will suffice without it for my purposes.
Check with Hillside how they view the warranty on your SCA roof, if you were to DIY or even get another company to put holes in it. Might or might not be a problem or even an issue to them or you, but if a problem does occur, it’s usually always someone else’s fault.

@Captain Quick My experience with Hillside is that if it isn’t what they offer as standard or as an option then they dont want to get involved. At the time of ordering I wanted a different solar panel (200w) and controller (Victron) to that which they offered. They said they’d rather not as they selected their components on price margin and warranty (reliability). They didn’t want to get involved with an unknown (Victron!!!). I understood their point of view though and left it.
So far I’ve not fitted any solar and actually not sure I ever will now. I reckon a large capacity Lithium will suffice without it for my purposes.
Check with Hillside how they view the warranty on your SCA roof, if you were to DIY or even get another company to put holes in it. Might or might not be a problem or even an issue to them or you, but if a problem does occur, it’s usually always someone else’s fault.
Good points EAN. I'm due to visit Derby soon so shall discuss the retrofitting of the roof rails and electrical items when I'm there. Reflecting on your comments, my guess is that they won't vary anything from their spec as having the Whole Vehicle Type Approval depends on the campervan being build in accordance with the approved spec, not to mention their warranty. I did discuss the subject of solar panels and they seemed very reluctant to ft any panels whether flexible or rigid due to the excessive (and therefore costly) failures they had experienced. They were certainly not in favour of fitting flexible panels directly to the roof as these had the highest level of failures within the warranty period. Perhaps your approach to just fit a higher capacity LiFePo4 leisure battery with a suitable DC-DC charger is the way to go, at least until the Hillside warranty expires.

IMG_8949.jpeg
Had a look behind the secret door earlier to have a look at the current mains charger.

Any idea what the two loose cables could be? Perhaps spare connections for optional extras I don’t have?

Incidentally whilst on the topic of this cupboard, I was quite disappointed to find out the hot water cylinder on mine is mains power only. Seen various forum posts and videos where owners of older Birchovers have been able to heat on 12V also whilst travelling to site or driving around. I guess it won’t be that big an issue though

Reactions: EAN
I can’t believe I’m reading a thread where people have brand new custom vans “in -build” from a well known converter, and before the van is actually built they’re researching how to make it work properly. Is it me??

I can’t believe I’m reading a thread where people have brand new custom vans “in -build” from a well known converter, and before the van is actually built they’re researching how to make it work properly. Is it me??
For me it's an issue of making the vehicle work better. This converter has, like several other builders, Whole Vehicle Type Approval so is obliged to deliver a product in accordance with the approved spec. I want to make several modifications for my exact needs that the converter feels they can't. I don't have any problem with that and nor do other owners it seems.

Last edited:
Back