Hillside Birchover

Cool. Glad I clicked on this thread. Thanks very much for this information.

I love the fridge door (if you know what I mean). I am shocked that other companies haven't started copying this as it is a great feature and makes brilliant use of spare space.

I will have a nosey at their youtube channel. I am currently watching a few so one more won't hurt.
;)
The fridge door is great but, especially when you fully load it like we do with tins, bottles, etc., is does end up marking the floor in an arc where the wheel runs - we try to lift it when opening but still have some marks starting to appear in the floor - we have just accepted that this will happen from day 1 of ownership and regard it as a small price to pay for the extra, accessible, valuable storage.

Just got back from the Harrogate show, had a really good look at all the T6 campers on display, and I can honestly say (with some relief) that I'm really glad I went to Hillside. There was nothing to match the Birchover for build quality, finish or practicality. Some looked like DIY conversions or Ikea campers, furniture edged with B&Q angle-ali...
Had a long look at the Bilbos 'Nexa' which was my initial choice, but in practise the 'either side' layout doesnt work out as well as I expected, the corridor is so narrow and the beds (using the front seats) just aren't comfortable. The side-elevating roof is noticeably smaller & more claustrophobic than the SCA.
Met a few mates there and they agreed, there was nothing to match the Birchover. This isnt about pride, its genuine concern as to whether you've made a good decision with your life savings - and its a nice feeling to have that confirmed

I always regretted not taking more photos of our old Autosleeper Topaz, & was surprised to find one identical to ours in the exhibition hall so spent a few nostalgic minutes there. That was an either-side layout and also had uncomfortable beds!

On a general note a lot of the 'Motorhome' sized vans were 'overconverted' to our liking, some had 11 or more seats and almost no floorspace.
The Rolls-Royce, absolutely top-notch quality award should go to IH Motorhomes whose vans were all absolutely stunning.
All in all a really pleasant day out!
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference, this is the solar panel fitted by Hillside Leisure (unless you specifically ask for something different):
100 Watt Panel Kit

...and this is the controller they fit as standard. Its a straightforward PWM regulator, not MPPT:
10A Dual Battery Charge Controller

Cheers
Phil

@Phil_G
Yes we went to show at Harrogate.
We have a Rolling Homes conversion which we cannot fault.
BUT.... we were blown away with the IH Motorhomes conversions.
See my pics of the Crafter conversion that they had - quite stunning. Its on "VW Crafter thread"
Happy with my T6 for few more years but would seriously look at the Crafter conversion using IH
with a few personal changes. It only had a choice of 2 beds in this conversion but we would like the option
of 2 + 2 beds for future proofing (Grandkids!!)
:mexican wave:

we went to show at Harrogate... ... ...we were blown away with the IH Motorhomes conversions.
The IH conversions were absolutely superb. They're just around the corner from me, I'm not a customer and
not likely to be, but I feel the urge to call in just to say what a fantastic job they're doing

Back to the Hillside Birchover, I've finally managed to register the warranties for the solar panel, diesel heater and diamond-brite, none of which was straightforward... personally I'd expected Hillside to do these registrations as part of the package, especially since any warranty problems whatever will see the van back with them anyway...

Another question, did we all go for the VW factory extended warranty? 80k/£400 ? All being well I'll be keeping the van long-term so I intend to take it up well within the 90 days... but probably not the service plan as my mileage will be very low. Will be speaking to JCT Wakefield tomorrow, I'm worried because with my two previous VW campers, I found the service centres treat it as just like any old works van, not the 'cherished family member' that a camper actually is!

Bought myself a small telly, a DTV905 from Dafodil, its permanently on the rear of the drivers headrest. Its just a convenient size and I've fitted a flush-mount 64gb memory stick with about 60 films to choose from! (ripped from my own dvds)

Frustratingly, other than a couple of trips to my mums, the van hasn't budged, hopefully will be able to take a bit of time off soon and get some camping in

Cheers
Phil

Back to the Hillside Birchover, I've finally managed to register the warranties for the solar panel, diesel heater and diamond-brite, none of which was straightforward... personally I'd expected Hillside to do these registrations as part of the package, especially since any warranty problems whatever will see the van back with them anyway...

Another question, did we all go for the VW factory extended warranty? 80k/£400 ? All being well I'll be keeping the van long-term so I intend to take it up well within the 90 days... but probably not the service plan as my mileage will be very low. Will be speaking to JCT Wakefield tomorrow, I'm worried because with my two previous VW campers, I found the service centres treat it as just like any old works van, not the 'cherished family member' that a camper actually is!

Bought myself a small telly, a DTV905 from Dafodil, its permanently on the rear of the drivers headrest. Its just a convenient size and I've fitted a flush-mount 64gb memory stick with about 60 films to choose from! (ripped from my own dvds)

Frustratingly, other than a couple of trips to my mums, the van hasn't budged, hopefully will be able to take a bit of time off soon and get some camping in

Cheers
Phil
My Eberspacher warranty was filled out by Hillside - lots of doco and forms completed by them so I assume all ok. My solar panel was fitted after purchase but went back to Hillside twice with a problem before realising the problem was a faulty controller - the warrrany was subsequently filled in by me phoning Solar Technology but very easy and no problem.

Wish I had gone for an extended warranty on the van but, so far at least, no reason to regret.

Get out and enjoy your Birchover:)

Will be speaking to JCT Wakefield tomorrow, I'm worried because with my two previous VW campers, I found the service centres treat it as just like any old works van, not the 'cherished family member' that a camper actually is!
Well, spoke to the guy at Wakefield JCT who supposedly deals with this stuff. Utterly useless.
He suggested I "type vw extended warranty into Google". Really?
Will try JCT York.

Later...
Spoke to JCT York, 'Del' sounded much more on the ball but wasnt sure if I could register the extended warranty on a 3rd party conversion with them as they're not the supplying dealer. Apparently I need to write to VW for their approval before I can involve York JCT.
Did anyone else find this easy?

Not sure how many of you are in the Camping and Caravan Club but the May issue of the club magazine dropped through my letter box this morning and there is a review of the Birchover in there:-
IMG_3682.jpg

Nice, my copy's not arrived yet Dave, maybe tomorrow. Campervan mag did a nice review recently, but the 5 seater 'narrow kitchen' version.

Some more extended warranty adventures today. Posted here

Cheers
Phil

Update on the extended warranty story, Andy Williams rang from Sheffield JCT.
Eureka, Andy knows all about extended warranties and it transpires that they had supplied my van to Hillside
so he already had all the van details! He says its a simple process and cant understand why VW and so many
of their dealers were unable to sort it! Hopefully should be sorted by close of play today :)
Further, I'd been wondering where to go for servicing as previous experience was that VW commercial
seemed to treat a camper like a bricklayers van. Well, I'm told that JCT Sheffield are California dealers and
have a separate process with mechs properly trained on conversions. They also say that as the main
supplier to Hillside Leisure, a lot of Birchovers come to them for servicing. Thats clinched it for me!
afro.gif

Cheers
Phil

Edit: Wahoo! we have an extended warranty! As with most things, it seems that all you need is to find someone who knows :)

Update on the extended warranty story, Andy Williams rang from Sheffield JCT.
Eureka, Andy knows all about extended warranties and it transpires that they had supplied my van to Hillside
so he already had all the van details! He says its a simple process and cant understand why VW and so many
of their dealers were unable to sort it! Hopefully should be sorted by close of play today :)
Further, I'd been wondering where to go for servicing as previous experience was that VW commercial
seemed to treat a camper like a bricklayers van. Well, I'm told that JCT Sheffield are California dealers and
have a separate process with mechs properly trained on conversions. They also say that as the main
supplier to Hillside Leisure, a lot of Birchovers come to them for servicing. Thats clinched it for me!
afro.gif

Cheers
Phil

Edit: Wahoo! we have an extended warranty! As with most things, it seems that all you need is to find someone who knows :)
I've been wondering where to take my Westie when it needs servicing and Sheffield is well within range so I'll take it there, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Given the tremendous heatwave and continuous sunshine of late, I wonder how your Hillside-fitted panels are performing?
I've just upgraded the solar controller to a Victron 75/15 mppt & bluetooth one that can be monitored remotely.
Its come as a bit of a surprise that even in this solid, direct sunshine I'm getting an absolute maximum of 42 watts out of it. At our latitude you dont expect 100w, but I thought we might break 50 :)
I also have a larger, framed 50 watt panel and that is giving the same current - about 3 amps. This a bulk charge into a deliberately discharged battery so it should be working flat-out at over 5 amps. Its defo Hillside's standard fitting, the 100w 'PV Logic' panel. I'll keep experimenting!
Cheers
Phil

solarpanel.jpg

Given the tremendous heatwave and continuous sunshine of late, I wonder how your Hillside-fitted panels are performing?
I've just upgraded the solar controller to a Victron 75/15 mppt & bluetooth one that can be monitored remotely.
Its come as a bit of a surprise that even in this solid, direct sunshine I'm getting an absolute maximum of 42 watts out of it.
I also have a larger, framed 50 watt panel and that is giving the same current - about 3 amps. This a bulk charge into a deliberately discharged battery so it should be working flat-out at over 5 amps. Given the relatively small size of the Hillside panel, I'm starting to think that maybe its only a 40 or 50 watt panel, which is a little disappointing, I understood that Hillside's standard fitting is the 100w 'PV Logic' panel. I'll keep experimenting!
Cheers
Phil

View attachment 27609
I specifically asked for the 100w PV Logic Panel and that is what I've got. Can't comment about what it is actually putting out as all I have got is the basic controller, all I can say is that it does what I wanted it to and allows 24/7 running of my fridge.

It is the same panel Dave, 980 x 690 and its branded 'PV Logic' so it is the specified panel,
its just a bit short of expectations, the other 'cheapy' panels have always met or exceeded their spec.
Maybe they're specced under Equatorial sunshine and dont like the Brit lattitude :)

It is the same panel Dave, 980 x 690 and its branded 'PV Logic' so it is the specified panel,
its just a bit short of expectations, the other 'cheapy' panels have always met or exceeded their spec.
Maybe they're specced under Equatorial sunshine and dont like the Brit lattitude :)
Did you register the warranty on it? Might be worth taking it up with Solar Technology International to see what they say?

Its come as a bit of a surprise that even in this solid, direct sunshine I'm getting an absolute maximum of 42 watts out of it.
I also have a larger, framed 50 watt panel and that is giving the same current - about 3 amps. This a bulk charge into a deliberately discharged battery so it should be working flat-out at over 5 amps. Given the relatively small size of the Hillside panel, I'm starting to think that maybe its only a 40 or 50 watt panel, which is a little disappointing, I understood that Hillside's standard fitting is the 100w 'PV Logic' panel. I'll keep experimenting!
Cheers
Phil

View attachment 27609
Our fridge has been on 24/7 this year a couple of times battery has run low causing fridge to temporarily cut out. Think this was due to temperature inside van and fridge almost perminantly on . But to me looks like all is working very well. Not sure how long the leisure battery will last though with electrics on constantly

Our fridge has been on 24/7 this year a couple of times battery has run low causing fridge to temporarily cut out. Think this was due to temperature inside van and fridge almost perminantly on . But to me looks like all is working very well. Not sure how long the leisure battery will last though with electrics on constantly
Are you sure the fridge actually cut out due to low power??? We’ve had situations over the winter where if the ambient temperature outside the fridge drops below 5c the compressor won’t run with the result the ice box will defrost.

Yes sure it had .In summer, rather than the orange light coming on when down to temp flashing red light comes on and fridge is constantly trying to restart.

Back