Headlights so dull

I fitted these and coded out the dashboard bulb error. They are much brighter, a crisp white rather than dull yellow and I can’t see that it is an LED from looking in the headlight unit as it is behind the reflector thing so not sure come MOT time.

My decision was based mainly on appearance of the van with headlights on and the fact I’m not driving much in the dark and not driving on unlit roads much at all so didn’t want to spend money on H7s or THQs.

B0A69DEC-477B-472C-AF2F-AE6DC56DE44E.jpeg

@t6b Mine has gone through three MOTs with the Novisight H4 Led lamps one of which at the local Vindis dealer.
I don't know why some owners get all religious about not fitting Led lamps when they're probably likely to crash into something they couldn't see using the lousy stock halogen efforts.
Trotting out they're illegal and will blind everybody coming the other way misses out the major benefit that at least you can actually see up the road ahead and that you do have the option to motor down the headlights from that far horizon, not to mention when was the last time you were blinded by some completely road legal default full beam Led matrix array from some tossers rented German softroader?
Do I sound bitter this morning?

@t6b Mine has gone through three MOTs with the Novisight H4 Led lamps one of which at the local Vindis dealer.
I don't know why some owners get all religious about not fitting Led lamps when they're probably likely to crash into something they couldn't see using the lousy stock halogen efforts.
Trotting out they're illegal and will blind everybody coming the other way misses out the major benefit that at least you can actually see up the road ahead and that you do have the option to motor down the headlights from that far horizon, not to mention when was the last time you were blinded by some completely road legal default full beam Led matrix array from some tossers rented German softroader?
Do I sound bitter this morning?
I agree but in every insurance doc’ I’ve read it says ‘ vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition’. After a serious accident if the Police / insurance company determine that it wasn’t and that the lighting played a part in causing the accident you maybe prosecuted and / or not get an insurance payout.
Worst case you could have to sell your assets to cover the third parties compensation.
Massive price to pay for some better head lights IMO.

Last edited:
Only if you drive like a tosser in a rented German softroader... we live on a road leading to a state secondary school, twice a day during winter we're knee deep in stone faced parents driving Q7, X6, whatever that Merc equivalent is, I'm sure the headlight default setting is whole array full blast with very little of that array turned off as they whoosh up the road to pick up their kids.
Bit of a pet hate rant there but these intelligent Led arrays are not the perfect headlight they're made out to be more a great excuse for always driving on main beam as they're road legal innit?

Never mind the rented German softroaders, it's the grannies in the Honda Jazz, Hyundai i10's, whatever the German equivalent is around here with their 40 mph everywhere attitude and inability to turn-off their foglights ever again for the rest of their miserable lives !

Bit of a pet hate rant there but these intelligent Led arrays are not the perfect headlight they're made out to be more a great excuse for always driving on main beam as they're road legal innit?

The Tig has IQ (matrix) headlights. In Auto main beam mode, you don't get the full arsenal below 30mph. Above that speed it will switch to main beam, then turn off individual LEDs to blank out other traffic or stop dazzling reflections from road signs. A lot of the time it works really well and it's fun watching it do it's thing, but it's not perfect. It can be used in good old fashioned manual mode as well.

Whilst it doesn't have the all out power of the Lazers on my T6, you don't get plunged into what seems like darkness when you dip the lights. Most of main beam stays on, so it's actually not as tiring on the old eyes.

How you've explained the active array system is pretty much what's supposed to happen and is great from the driving seat but oncoming traffic definitely gets splashed by these on our quaint twisty roads and following something like the big Volvo is like sitting behind a Paris Dakar team truck with white reflective road signs additionally blasting back tons of flare from the Volvo.
I would argue that speed ie. lack of reaction time is invariably involved in most crashes with "he dazzled me!" rarely mentioned as being the cause of the crash.

Never mind the rented German softroaders, it's the grannies in the Honda Jazz, Hyundai i10's, whatever the German equivalent is around here with their 40 mph everywhere attitude and inability to turn-off their foglights ever again for the rest of their miserable lives !
My biggest fear of other drivers was when I parked in an multistory carpark at a out of town shopping center daily for work. Generally those aged 40-50 women who worked in M&S would tear into that carpark like they were being chased by the return of their monthly visitor and only driving at 30mph in a confined area would save them!

How you've explained the active array system is pretty much what's supposed to happen and is great from the driving seat but oncoming traffic definitely gets splashed by these on our quaint twisty roads and following something like the big Volvo is like sitting behind a Paris Dakar team truck with white reflective road signs additionally blasting back tons of flare from the Volvo.
I would argue that speed ie. lack of reaction time is invariably involved in most crashes with "he dazzled me!" rarely mentioned as being the cause of the crash.
I’ve had no more problem being dazzled by matrix headlights than I have by crap Amazon LED retrofits or misaligned halogens- that is when driving my car or camper (with ‘upgrade’ bulbs from a reputable brand).
As a pedestrian or cyclist (yes - I still ride after dark) those matrix lights are the worst for sure. Certainly not ‘smart’, just fkn selfish and an example of yet another thing designed by someone who has never even considered riding a bike.

I'm told that people had similar complaints when new fangled halogens started to replace tungsten headlights.

I’m not cunning enough to get a link but Google PowerBulbs or AutoBulbsDirect - both online retailers which use the genuine product. I know there are dodgy copies of the Philips bulbs so these shops are worth a look. I have the Philips 150% extra in H4 and they are definitely a worthwhile upgrade. They do a plus 200% now but remember it’s plus 200% on the minimum required amount of light to be road legal, not necessarily 200% over a standard bulb. I still find them noticeably brighter and a better light colour.
Excellent, thanks for this !

Hi All , was just about to buy some of the osram nightbreaker 200% , but seen some reviews saying you should only expect 6 months use from the bulbs can anyone confirm this ? Thanks

The star that burns brightest burns for the shortest time, on the plus side though now the nights are getting shorter they shouldn't blow until mid October, possibly December this year... my LED bulbs are just over three years old but were £63 so swings and roundabouts.

The star that burns brightest burns for the shortest time, on the plus side though now the nights are getting shorter they shouldn't blow until mid October, possibly December this year... my LED bulbs are just over three years old but were £63 so swings and roundabouts.
Ah ok that sounds good , are your bulbs legal and fine with MOT etc ? Trying a find a cheap ( ish ) option for now without any faff ! Thanks

Cheapest and least hassle to fit are indeed the 200% brighter than a candle Night Breakers.
I had to modify the headlight lamp access dust caps to accommodate the cooling fan on the rear of each Led lamp and they needed the resistor pack to fool the lamp out indicator so quite a bit of faffing.
The van hasn't failed an MOT yet for the three years the LEDs have been in, as for road legal I just use them as they give a much better chance of seeing what's ahead at night compared to the feeble stock halogen lamps.

Ah ok that sounds good , are your bulbs legal and fine with MOT etc ? Trying a find a cheap ( ish ) option for now without any faff ! Thanks
I bought the Philips Pro 150% which had the same life expectancy as standard, the only one I could find that was the same.

Will continue watching this thread with interest. I changed the pathetic original bulbs in my H4s for the Osram nightbreakers yesterday. I haven't used them at night yet so will see what they are like soon. I'll update when mine blow. For me it's worth it if they are significantly better, as the originals are just unacceptable and I don't have the stomach for changing the headlights.

Reactions: CAB
Hi All , was just about to buy some of the osram nightbreaker 200% , but seen some reviews saying you should only expect 6 months use from the bulbs can anyone confirm this ? Thanks
The Philips Rallye 150 (think that is what they were called) I installed in the Golf have lasted 18 months so far. I’ve have Osram plus 150 in the van for 8 months. Both say guaranteed for six months.
I’m wondering about buying a new set for the golf in case they go pop anytime soon but really pleased with longevity. I seem to think Philips do last longer than Osram and I’ve been buying various plus x% bulbs since they came out - plus 20% in my Sierra XR4 all those moons ago!

For the price, the improvement in light output and colour and to be fair the better than expected lifespan I’d just go for them again and again. I’m too much of a worrier to stick LED aftermarket bulbs in and to cheap to buy new headlights!

Looking to fit hew headlights to my T6 as the standard ones are terrible. What lights would people recommend?

Are these any good are they legal in UK?

Cheers

Back