H4 To H7 Upgrade

Are you sure they are H7s?
Yep 100%.
In fact in one of the pics there is a photo of the rear which shows them as H7
Just looked and the Ad is dated 30th Sept, but there’s no comments on it and the price has been dropped so looks like it’s still active.

Reactions: CAB
Have been following this thread for some time, thanks for all the info.

I have got hold of some OEM H7 headlight units from a Caravelle at a good price from Ebay. They are Valeo/VW units with a manufacturing date on the sticker is May 2018. They look in great condition but wanted to check the DRL terminals for melting etc so wiggled the DRL bulb holder out from the housing (not the easiest to get out and back in) but anti clockwise twist to unlock and a bit of confidence and they unlock, the terminals on the DRL bulb holder look fine, no heat damage.

Planning to fit LED DRL`s either the Osram w21w. w3x16d. or Twenty20 582 , any one see any issues using these bulbs for DRLs?
Planning to fit Nightbreaker 200 or 150% H7 into both main and dipped.
Planning to fit LED side lights, Osram w5w. w2 1x9 5d
All seem ok any words of wisdom?

Watched the videos for bumper removal but none show situation if you have Fog lights, I did read that you disconnect the loom via a terminal clip on driver side as you remove that corner of bumper and that fog lights units are attached to bumper so move as one away from van with bumper.
Is that right? any words of wisdom?

Oh and finally i have Carista Beta so will be selecting the "Dipped stay on with Main beam" option on that.

Anything else i should be aware of?

Have been following this thread for some time, thanks for all the info.

I have got hold of some OEM H7 headlight units from a Caravelle at a good price from Ebay. They are Valeo/VW units with a manufacturing date on the sticker is May 2018. They look in great condition but wanted to check the DRL terminals for melting etc so wiggled the DRL bulb holder out from the housing (not the easiest to get out and back in) but anti clockwise twist to unlock and a bit of confidence and they unlock, the terminals on the DRL bulb holder look fine, no heat damage.

Planning to fit LED DRL`s either the Osram w21w. w3x16d. or Twenty20 582 , any one see any issues using these bulbs for DRLs?
Planning to fit Nightbreaker 200 or 150% H7 into both main and dipped.
Planning to fit LED side lights, Osram w5w. w2 1x9 5d
All seem ok any words of wisdom?

Watched the videos for bumper removal but none show situation if you have Fog lights, I did read that you disconnect the loom via a terminal clip on driver side as you remove that corner of bumper and that fog lights units are attached to bumper so move as one away from van with bumper.
Is that right? any words of wisdom?

Oh and finally i have Carista Beta so will be selecting the "Dipped stay on with Main beam" option on that.

Anything else i should be aware of?

It’s likely the LEDs will trigger a dash bulb warning light. You can code this out with VCDS/OBD11, not so sure about Carista.

I fitted these and had no problems with the bulb warning light:-

There is also a cheaper alternative which may also be ok, so could be worth a call to ABD before ordering:-

Edit: bulb warning disable for this circuit is not possible with Carista.

Edit 2: yes, the fog light connection is on driver side, easy enough to disconnect. The real trick is remembering to reconnect it when putting the van back together. ;)

Last edited:
I fitted these and had no problems with the bulb warning light:-

There is also a cheaper alternative which may also be ok, so could be worth a call to ABD before ordering:-

Edit: bulb warning disable for this circuit is not possible with Carista.

Edit 2: yes, the fog light connection is on driver side, easy enough to disconnect. The real trick is remembering to reconnect it when putting the van back together. ;)
Thanks very much, think this answers the question that I need to get the correct bulb to ensure correct resistance so bulb out dosent come up, and can’t just rely on fixing everything with Carista or VCDS. Much appreciated.

Also if it makes a difference it’s a 68plate Highline Kombi.

Highline will be fine - just to reassure, I used Carista to enable dipped & main together without issue when I fitted H7 headlights to my Highline. :thumbsup:

Highline will be fine - just to reassure, I used Carista to enable dipped & main together without issue when I fitted H7 headlights to my Highline. :thumbsup:
Great thanks, have seen it as an option on the App but knowing in reality it works as expected is good to know.

Will give Auto Bulbs a call and see what they say, don’t really want to put it all back together and get bulb out errors then have to experiment and wallet-dent trying different options.

And you have no issues with indicator flash being less visible with a brighter DRL next to it?

Great thanks, have seen it as an option on the App but knowing in reality it works as expected is good to know.

Will give Auto Bulbs a call and see what they say, don’t really want to put it all back together and get bulb out errors then have to experiment and wallet-dent trying different options.

And you have no issues with indicator flash being less visible with a brighter DRL next to it?

I have no concerns, the indicator (standard bulb) still has good visibility.

Also, I am not a fan of DRL switching off whenever adjacent indicator is activated, but if that would be your preference once installed then an option to enable this functionality is available in Carista.

It's hard to capture in a photo, but below images were taken when I originally installed the headlights (before I switched to LED position lights):-

Screenshot_20221103-215253_Gallery.jpg

I have no concerns, the indicator (standard bulb) still has good visibility.

Also, I am not a fan of DRL switching off whenever adjacent indicator is activated, but if that would be your preference once installed then an option to enable this functionality is available in Carista.

It's hard to capture in a photo, but below images were taken when I originally installed the headlights (before I switched to LED position lights):-

View attachment 178252
Thanks! Pictures are really useful. Indicator looks plenty bright enough with LED DRL in

And yeh I also agree not a massive fan of dim or off DRL with Indicator on. So will leave that alone.

Thanks very much, think this answers the question that I need to get the correct bulb to ensure correct resistance so bulb out dosent come up, and can’t just rely on fixing everything with Carista or VCDS. Much appreciated.

Also if it makes a difference it’s a 68plate Highline Kombi.
Here’s what I fitted from Auto Bulbs Direct.
No bulb errors.3D417B40-2180-410A-8A67-C63E88B5C181.png

Quick!! Bargain!! £72 delivered!!

Make sure you get the right set from them, they have some H4s listed as well.

Deffo. Because bizarrely the normal H4 they are selling are £10 more.

Got them :thumbsup: and like you say they’re a bargain. Made sure I got the H7. Thank you put all your posts on the headlights. :mexican wave:

Back