H4 To H7 Upgrade

Thank you, so if I buy a set of caravelle H7 headlights this will improve the lighting at night? Or will buying better H4 be on a par?
As just mentioned by others the H7 is much, much better. Don’t waste your time with ‘upgraded’ bulbs for the H4 as it will make little difference. The H7 is less compromised with separate dipped and main beams. All the info you need to buy the right headlights and fit them is in this thread and there is a link to a THQ video showing how to remove the bumper. It’s easy stuff, just slightly scary pulling the bumper off. Coding takes 2 minutes with Carista which is often reduced on Amazon (mine was £17). Or see if any members that have one are close to you.

8B9986B0-6166-4B57-8D62-524F1DFD24A2.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
I upgraded H4 to H7 some time ago and have been very happy with the headlights now.
But my early H7’s have the overheating DRL holder issue and so I am going to change out the bulb holder for the wired version.
Sadly VW now want £27 each for the repair part!!!
So if your making the change to H7 check the DRL bulb holder and if it has the old style bayonet contacts maybe think about changing them out for the wired type while you have the headlight units out.

I upgraded H4 to H7 some time ago and have been very happy with the headlights now.
But my early H7’s have the overheating DRL holder issue and so I am going to change out the bulb holder for the wired version.
Sadly VW now want £27 each for the repair part!!!
So if you’re making the change to H7 check the DRL bulb holder and if it has the old style bayonet contacts maybe think about changing them out for the wired type while you have the headlight units out.
Sounds like good advice. Do you happen to know if the problem is alleviated if the DRLs are switched to LEDs?

Sounds like good advice. Do you happen to know if the problem is alleviated if the DRLs are switched to LEDs?
Probably yes, but. As the LED’s will run cooler and at a lower amperage so making it less likely that the plastic will get hot. But it’s possible that the issue is contact corrosion which causes the resistance of the contact to rise and like an electric element it then gets hot and knackers the bulb holder. It’s a well known problem that VW fixed by using fly leads to get rid of the contacts.
The DRL’s are so badly positioned that many people have to take the bumper and headlight off just to change the bulb. So for me it’s worth doing once. Fit the repair kits and use good quality LED bulbs.

Anyone got a recent link for good quality DRL bulbs it would be appreciated :)

Reactions: CJW
Probably yes, but. As the LED’s will run cooler and at a lower amperage so making it less likely that the plastic will get hot. But it’s possible that the issue is contact corrosion which causes the resistance of the contact to rise and like an electric element it then gets hot and knackers the bulb holder. It’s a well known problem that VW fixed by using fly leads to get rid of the contacts.
The DRL’s are so badly positioned that many people have to take the bumper and headlight off just to change the bulb. So for me it’s worth doing once. Fit the repair kits and use good quality LED bulbs.

I went for these, as recommended by others earlier in the thread. No bulb warnings unless your starter battery is really low which may trigger a warning. It clears next time you start after the battery has a bit of charge.

LED DRLs

Belt and braces - I like it.

Not sure if this is from the same thread, but slightly improved version. Will either get these or the Osram ones.

Thanks all. Spotted they do a ‘better’ version now (scores 9.5/10 on their canbus scale versus 8/10 for the old ones)

Belt and braces - I like it.

Not sure if this is from the same thread, but slightly improved version. Will either get these or the Osram ones.
I don’t think Osram do any Canbus friendly DRL bulbs for the H7 headlights anymore. If there are some pop a link here please.

Reactions: CJW
No good?

If it doesn't state Canbus friendly, you may well get light out errors once installed.
It's definitely worth reading the whole thread, I did, many many times, also taking on the sound advice of others. I have the same set up as @ginkster and have had no problems with them.
Have a look through ABD, it might shed a bit more light (no pun intended) on what route you want to go down.
>>Click here<<

Ther
If it doesn't state Canbus friendly, you may well get light out errors once installed.
It's definitely worth reading the whole thread, I did, many many times, also taking on the sound advice of others. I have the same set up as @ginkster and have had no problems with them.
Have a look through ABD, it might shed a bit more light (no pun intended) on what route you want to go down.
>>Click here<<
There’s an accompanying Osram control module for CANBuS. I’ll make this easy for everyone and just follow the pack on the Twenty20s. Thank you.

I believe the LED bulbs in that kit are not Canbus friendly. They are the same as the ones here at ABD and they say no to Canbus. They have them in Halfords and it says nothing about being Canbus compatible on the pack.
Thank you I’m convinced on the Twenty20s.

Well on Wednesday I found a pair of H7s on FB marketplace for £40. They’re from a 2017 Shuttle. I had them couriered by UPS. They arrive tomorrow. What will the future hold? Did I get a massive bargain, or will I regret buying them without seeing them? Find out in tomorrow’s instalment of ‘Rolling the Facebook Marketplace Dice of Chance’.

You have yourself a bona-fide bargain there my friend.
It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the f*****g century.
Cost you more in bulbs :slow rofl:

You have yourself a bona-fide bargain there my friend.
It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the f*****g century.
Cost you more in bulbs :slow rofl:
True! Already spent nearly that on the Twenty20 DRL LEDs when postage was included.

Back