[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Wow... An incredible amount of information here. Thanks to everyone that contributed but especially Dellmassive of course. It's taken me days to read this thread! :D
Did I read it right earlier that you can just plug a solar panel with controller straight into the cigarette lighter socket to charge the starter battery?! I haven't picked up my van yet..... But does this still work with the ignition off? Or did I miss an extra modification that's needed? I'm not good with electrics.... Sorry for the dumbass questions... There will be more I'm afraid. :whistle:

I plan on adding a mobile solar to my setup when I get it. I was thinking that my preferred solution would be to hardwire the mppt controller onto the leisure battery and have a long extension cable to my panels so I can move them around.

Looking forward to being part of this community.... Will introduce myself in the appropriate thread later tonight....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Wow... An incredible amount of information here. Thanks to everyone that contributed but especially Dellmassive of course. It's taken me days to read this thread! :D
Did I read it right earlier that you can just plug a solar panel with controller straight into the cigarette lighter socket to charge the starter battery?! I haven't picked up my van yet..... But does this still work with the ignition off? Or did I miss an extra modification that's needed? I'm not good with electrics.... Sorry for the dumbass questions... There will be more I'm afraid. :whistle:

I plan on adding a mobile solar to my setup when I get it. I was thinking that my preferred solution would be to hardwire the mppt controller onto the leisure battery and have a long extension cable to my panels so I can move them around.

Looking forward to being part of this community.... Will introduce myself in the appropriate thread later tonight....:thumbsup:
Yes.

One factory battery (starter) means both are permanent live (T6 anyway), factory 2nd battery means one goes each.

Would this me ok to go straight into the dash 12v socket, i think the 12v plug can be connected directly to the sola panel without the charge controller

Would this me ok to go straight into the dash 12v socket, i think the 12v plug can be connected directly to the sola panel without the charge controller
No, it would need to be connected via the controller. Also it looks very small to be able to produce 800W so I’d be very suspicious about the advertising.

The spelling errors if nothing else give it away as a scam.

I'm looking at getting a dash mounted 20w or similar starter battery trickle charger via the permanent on cig lighter socket.
My issue is my driveway is on the north side of the house and gets little to move sun. I could reposition the vehicle on the road which would give some sun but obviously not ideal.
Would a such a small panel get enough energy in the shade to the starter battery to make it worthwhile.

No, you need at least 50w and a solar controller.

See post on#6

Screenshot_20230215_083856_Chrome.jpg

I’m pondering this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renogy-Monocrystalline-Waterproof-Adjustable-Kickstands/dp/B0B39945F5/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?keywords=Folding+Solar+Panel+Kit&qid=1680031285&sr=8-14-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1. To plug into my dcc50s charger that or the eco flow 160 . I’m wondering if they are worth the extra cost over the array of cheaper panels on Amazon
They look a lot thinner than the Solar Suitcase I have. My Solar Suitcase is the 200W and comes in at £299 currently, but I bought mine a year ago for £270.

They look a lot thinner than the Solar Suitcase I have. My Solar Suitcase is the 200W and comes in at £299 currently, but I bought mine a year ago for £270.
yeh thats my thinking a smaller thing than the suitcase , I just wonder if they are any better than the chinese made kit

the Renogy kit is Chinese made, like the rest of it.,

but Renogy kit is very good.

I've got the older version of that panel:

more info:

SOLAR:

My Panels:

Any thoughts on this panel please people?

Will it work with my EcoFlow Delta Mini ?

I like it because it is all black and will be stealthy on the roof of my black van
These aero mounts look good to cut down on wind noise

Thoughts, reviews or alternatives welcome :thumbsup:

Any thoughts on this panel please people?

Will it work with my EcoFlow Delta Mini ?

I like it because it is all black and will be stealthy on the roof of my black van
These aero mounts look good to cut down on wind noise

Thoughts, reviews or alternatives welcome :thumbsup:
Looks ok for a black rigid panel.

But they haven't given the spec of the panel, so no way to compare. ( Voc, isc, imp)

Should work fine with the eco flow, but you need the spec sheet to be sure.

I do like the aero brackets though.

I have ordered the solar panel.

It comes with aero bars, fitting kit, gland, sikaflex but it looks like the end of the wire from the panel is not terminated at all.

My EcoFlow came with an XT60 to MC4 male and female. So I *assume* I just need to terminate the wire from the panel with the corresponding MC4s and plug the panel straight into the EcoFlow?

My other thought/question is surrounding a change over switch for the EcoFlow - it has one XT60 input for either solar or car ignition 12v.

If I connects the negative from solar, the negative from ignition and negative to xt60 together and then the positives through a switch will this work as a changeover switch to flick between solar and ignition feed to charge the EF or do I need diodes?

BD08CDB3-C21E-4FBC-B640-AB1420295FDA.jpeg

I love this forum for the fantastic amount of knowledge shared, love the YouTube clip @Dellmassive.

I’m still fairly new to my T6, came with an LB attached to a CTEK D250SA (no monitor though, so I can’t tell where I’m at in terms of level of charge left) all set under the front passenger captains chair.

I’m convinced a foldable panel is the way to go, I don’t fancy drilling the pop top nor trying to retrofit cables.

So on that basis can I just attach the panel to the ctek and away we go? Positive to solar ctek connection and negative to negative on the ctek.

I’m looking for a 150-200w foldable panel and I understand that I shouldn’t go above 24v into the ctek. (I’ll take a look at the allpower/dokio/renogy mentioned in thread)

Going forward I would like to extend my electrics and add EHU, inverter and a lithium battery to the van but just want to enjoy a little off grid time for now.

E0D30DD3-D4BB-40B5-B603-BE2CF3511D37.jpeg

I love this forum for the fantastic amount of knowledge shared, love the YouTube clip @Dellmassive.

I’m still fairly new to my T6, came with an LB attached to a CTEK D250SA (no monitor though, so I can’t tell where I’m at in terms of level of charge left) all set under the front passenger captains chair.

I’m convinced a foldable panel is the way to go, I don’t fancy drilling the pop top nor trying to retrofit cables.

So on that basis can I just attach the panel to the ctek and away we go? Positive to solar ctek connection and negative to negative on the ctek.

I’m looking for a 150-200w foldable panel and I understand that I shouldn’t go above 24v into the ctek. (I’ll take a look at the allpower/dokio/renogy mentioned in thread)

Going forward I would like to extend my electrics and add EHU, inverter and a lithium battery to the van but just want to enjoy a little off grid time for now.

View attachment 195653
Found some sun on Sunday, so displayed the foldable Dokio 160w panels over the dash and connected the ring connectors from the panel to the ctek ( positive to solar & neg to neg)…I don’t a light on the ctek to show that the solar panel is working and charging the ctek!!! Have I missed something?

F2E31034-12E1-43C0-95E0-7C3CAB8BBD35.jpeg

DDC8B989-DCDB-479B-BE90-CA0676816CB5.jpeg

Found some sun on Sunday, so displayed the foldable Dokio 160w panels over the dash and connected the ring connectors from the panel to the ctek ( positive to solar & neg to neg)…I don’t a light on the ctek to show that the solar panel is working and charging the ctek!!! Have I missed something?

View attachment 196063

View attachment 196064
What's the panel spec?

The ctek has a voc solar input of 23v max.

Also don't use any solar controller, just the panel direct to the ctek.

What's the panel spec?

The ctek has a voc solar input of 23v max.

Also don't use any solar controller, just the panel direct to the ctek.
D38E2754-7812-481F-B08C-AD1BB1FC20CA.png

Should be fine on that basis <24v…I’m going direct from panel to ctek (no controller) and using an extension to the wires that came provided, I had to crimp and heat shrink larger lugs to fit the ctek.

panels work fine when plugged in via controller to charge phone etc.

Not sure what I should be testing next!!

Back