[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

View attachment 196151

Should be fine on that basis <24v…I’m going direct from panel to ctek (no controller) and using an extension to the wires that came provided, I had to crimp and heat shrink larger lugs to fit the ctek.

panels work fine when plugged in via controller to charge phone etc.

Not sure what I should be testing next!!
Use a multimeter to check the polarity of the panel.

Sometime they wired back to front.

You should see +15-22v DC from the panel in strong daylight/sun.

Post some pics of the multimeter with the panel off the ctek.

Then connected to the ctek.

Use a multimeter to check the polarity of the panel.

Sometime they wired back to front.

You should see +15-22v DC from the panel in strong daylight/sun.

Post some pics of the multimeter with the panel off the ctek.

Then connected to the ctek.
Nice one @Dellmassive on the polarity shout, the extension cables were reversed, so adaptor added and now all working well !!

1E99FF73-ABBB-46A6-B3EB-20751885EB7A.png

Last edited:
Love this thread and thanks for all the info. I have a couple of basic questions which I am sure have been answered but I have managed to not take them in :).

1. How do you run cables from the leisure battery to a portable solar setup?
2. What are the benefits of suitcase style panels over a flexible setup? I am looking at a Dokio and a Renogy, Dokio looks better in terms of price and portability, but I see lots of recommendations for the Renogy's. I plan to run the panel off of a Victron MPTT.

Love this thread and thanks for all the info. I have a couple of basic questions which I am sure have been answered but I have managed to not take them in :).

1. How do you run cables from the leisure battery to a portable solar setup?
2. What are the benefits of suitcase style panels over a flexible setup? I am looking at a Dokio and a Renogy, Dokio looks better in terms of price and portability, but I see lots of recommendations for the Renogy's. I plan to run the panel off of a Victron MPTT.
1. Most people fit a short fused quick disconnect plug to the leisure battery.

With the other half being connected to your Victron solar controller.

That way when you're arrive onsite, just deploy the panel and plug in the Victron Vis the quick disconnect.

Personally I use Anderson conectors for the power side.

And mc4 extension leads to run the solar panels out further.

1. Most people fit a short fused quick disconnect plug to the leisure battery.

With the other half being connected to your Victron solar controller.

That way when you're arrive onsite, just deploy the panel and plug in the Victron Vis the quick disconnect.

Personally I use Anderson conectors for the power side.

And mc4 extension leads to run the solar panels out further.

Fantastic thank you very much, so no permanent external plug or connection I assume, just run the mc4 extension through the door or window?

Fantastic thank you very much, so no permanent external plug or connection I assume, just run the mc4 extension through the door or window?
Yep as you say.

That's what I do.

More info here:

Please can people help save me some time and advise?

Sort of new to camping, plus camping with a Caravelle.
I have a Elite DXL100 (84ahr) battery I have been using standalone for years with my DOMETIC TROPICOOL TCX 21 Thermoelectric Coolbox. I have just bought a Renology 100w with Voyager controller Solar panel. A fold up jobbie.

I mainly am going to use it for the coolbox and maybe some lights in the awning and van.

I am guessing I need an extension leads for the SP so I can move it away from the van? I cant find any detail what it comes with but it looks a like a coupole meters in the pictures. Do I need something like a Renogy 500A Battery Monitor Shunt?

This weekend I am just going to use it sort of standalone as decribed above. Next job is to move the battery into the seat and add batterty to battery charging via a Ctek d250sa I have been given. I thought I could put and panel on the back of the seat and have a connectors for the SP plus other outs etc.

Any advice would be welcolm (pretty please) :)

Please can people help save me some time and advise?

Sort of new to camping, plus camping with a Caravelle.
I have a Elite DXL100 (84ahr) battery I have been using standalone for years with my DOMETIC TROPICOOL TCX 21 Thermoelectric Coolbox. I have just bought a Renology 100w with Voyager controller Solar panel. A fold up jobbie.

I mainly am going to use it for the coolbox and maybe some lights in the awning and van.

I am guessing I need an extension leads for the SP so I can move it away from the van? I cant find any detail what it comes with but it looks a like a coupole meters in the pictures. Do I need something like a Renogy 500A Battery Monitor Shunt?

This weekend I am just going to use it sort of standalone as decribed above. Next job is to move the battery into the seat and add batterty to battery charging via a Ctek d250sa I have been given. I thought I could put and panel on the back of the seat and have a connectors for the SP plus other outs etc.

Any advice would be welcolm (pretty please) :)
The Renogy kit usually comes with MC4 conectors on the solar panels.

So look at a MC4 extension cable.... Like this 5m example.

Screenshot_20230521_154010_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This weekends setup.

Two 110w lensun panels chucked up on the roof.

They have the mag strips stuck on the back to stop the wind taking them.

I've plugged them in to a 75/15 Victron in series.

This is plugged into the van via a Anderson quick connect. Which is connected to the Roamer battery under the seat via a distribution fuse box.

A Renogy 1000w inverter is running all the fridges, lights and charging.

20230527_081535.jpg20230527_081522.jpgScreenshot_20230526_133619.jpgScreenshot_20230527_075323.jpg

20230527_081535.jpg

20230527_081447.jpg

This weekends setup.

Two 110w lensun panels chucked up on the roof.

They have the mag strips stuck on the back to stop the wind taking them.

I've plugged them in to a 75/15 Victron in series.

This is plugged into the van via a Anderson quick connect. Which is connected to the Roamer battery under the seat via a distribution fuse box.

A Renogy 1000w inverter is running all the fridges, lights and charging.

View attachment 200395View attachment 200396View attachment 200398View attachment 200399

The Renogy kit usually comes with MC4 conectors on the solar panels.

So look at a MC4 extension cable.... Like this 5m example.

View attachment 199690

So I bought a 100w Renogy briefcase panel, to go with my Dometic cool box, and 85a leisure battery in a box.

Used it over the weekend camping and it was brilliant very pleased. I want to get a pair of Bluetooth battery status gizmo’s. I would like to see a cheap option if anyone has a recommendation please IMG_3945.jpeg

Very informative thread, most of which (like all things electrical) goes over my head.

New to solar but thinking of getting a simple plug/play suitcase set-up to connect directly to starter battery for trickle charge when parked up. What would the current recommendation be for <£300? Cheers.

Very informative thread, most of which (like all things electrical) goes over my head.

New to solar but thinking of getting a simple plug/play suitcase set-up to connect directly to starter battery for trickle charge when parked up. What would the current recommendation be for <£300? Cheers.
this ---->

(200w or 100w + controller )

there awesome. . . i have three of them.

1686158860303.png

Thanks. Looks like a good option. So can I just alligator clip this as it comes (with a Renogy Mc4 cable extension) to either the starter or leisure battery?

Hi All. I'm just upgrading all my electrics and moving over to Roamer 160ah Lithium. I already have the Renogy 200w STCS200D suitcase which came with the Voyager controller. I want to install a Victron smart MPPT in its place. What size would I need? I've tried using the online calculator. I'm not running anything extravagant just the usual fridge, lights and usb charger. Any advice much appreciated.

Some specs of the panel
Open Circuit Voltage - 21.8v
Short Circuit Current - 11.7A
Optimum operating Voltage - 18.5A
Optimum operating Current - 10.5A

Back