[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

The shunt should be between the batteries and everything else before it gets to earth otherwise it can't see what's going in and out of the leisure batteries.

Last edited:
I think the problem is somewhere in this set up as the problems occur soon as the leisure batteries / DCDC charger are connected to the van via – firstly the cable that is already there under the drivers seat, and secondly when I only had a connection to the pos van batt (12v trigger wasn’t even connected)

WHY – that, is the question.

Ok here are some pics which are a bit shit so I thought I would sketch it out – which also isn’t very good

But here is explanation

I have cross connected 2 x 100Ah lithium batteries in parallel so the supply and feed go into POS on Leisure batt (LB) 1 and the earth is taken from LB2 through 100amp fuse both batt are connected ++ and Neg neg using 100A cable

(Taken from a diagram on net)

Feeds into DCDC charger (under drivers seat)

• From starter battery to DCDC charger I have used 100A battery wire, at the battery end a 70amp fuse and the charger end a 50amp fuse
  • 12v ign wire (from FB in drivers footwell)
  • Solar pos input through 20amp fuse (solar neg is taken to earth point on van)
Feeds out of DC charger

• From the charger to LB1 56A cable fused with 50amp fuse
  • Earth to Neg on LB1 56A cable
Feeds off LB1

• Supply feed to fuses and switch panel in van 56A cable fused with 50A through an isolator switch.
  • Plus and neg feed to 350w inverter

There is a shunt meter also fitted, main Neg is taken to van earth, 2nd Ned is to the Neg on LB1 and a small pos feed from LB1

View attachment 139863

View attachment 139864

View attachment 139865

View attachment 139866

View attachment 139867

View attachment 139868

View attachment 139869

View attachment 139870

View attachment 139871

View attachment 139872

View attachment 139873

View attachment 139875

Are you on a T6 or 6.1?
so you put the neg from DCDC to van earth point and not neg on leisure battery? as Dellmassive says - will it make any diff??
some observations:

A- this looks fine, but I've had issues with this style of breaker switches getting hot causing volt drop when pulling current - so keep an eye on it . . . if it starts to get hot swap out for a MIDI or MEGA fuse.

1640772822580.png

B- is this the main chassis ground connection in yellow? - of so the green? should be both the LB1 + LB2 NEG feeds.

1640772797388.png

both battery NEGS need to got to the SHUNT, then one common GROUND from the SHUNT to the van BODY. Also the gauge of the cable needs to be the same thickness as the main POS as it will be carrying the same high current . . . so if you use 150A cable for the POS, then you need 150A cable for the NEG . . .

if 2x 150A POS then you need 1x300A for the main NEG from the shunt ( same as you have done with the main starter battery feed)

C - where is the second battery? - each battery needs a fuse next to the POS interlink cable.

1640772880175.png

D - Fuse should be on the POS side of the battery. (technically it could go on the NEG side, but depending on the circuit layout the power could fin an alternate route to ground so POS is always best place)

1640773040319.png

E - the second LB2 should have a direct connection to the shunt, it can go to either the LB1 or the shunt, whatever is shortest.

yellow or blue is ok, red is not right, the shunt will not read the power correctly.

1640773186429.png

F - where is this master switch in your schematic?

1640774127729.png

G - can you post a pic of your starter battery NEG terminal and connections

H - Inverter NEG connection needs to do direct to chassis ground, same as all you loads NEGS to chassis. . . ONLY the LB1 & LB2 NEGS to shunt - then shunt to chassis. credis to @Grim Reaper for spotting that one.

1640774354747.png

I - Fuse layout - this is where the fuses would normally be, as close to the battery POS connections as possible.

1640774587841.png

J -

Last edited:
(12v trigger wasn’t even connected)

WHY – that, is the question.
The 12v IGN trigger isnt needed for most DC-DC chargers as they will AUTO switch on when they detect 13.2v or above from the starter battery.

what the IGN sense wire does is allow the DC-DC to stay running to a lower voltage than without the wire. . . . its not a hard ON/OFF signal.

But it will demand a drain on the alternator where a smart alternator is fitted to keep charging the leisure batteries when the van decides it doesn't need it to charge it's starter battery

Your inverter negative is in the wrong place, it defeats the shunt as well or rather any use of the inverter would not be logged on the battery monitor.

Your inverter negative is in the wrong place, it defeats the shunt as well or rather any use of the inverter would not be logged on the battery monitor.
I've added that observation to the list above, well spotted.

But it will demand a drain on the alternator where a smart alternator is fitted to keep charging the leisure batteries when the van decides it doesn't need it to charge it's starter battery
Wouldn’t the DC-DC charger trigger the alternator regardless? Even if the starter battery was charged, the alternator wouldn’t shut down because the DC-DC would be pulling 30-40A. If the alternator did shut down, the starter battery voltage would soon drop enough to call the alternator due to the load from the DC-DC. That’s how I understand it, but I may be wrong.

Wouldn’t the DC-DC charger trigger the alternator regardless? Even if the starter battery was charged, the alternator wouldn’t shut down because the DC-DC would be pulling 30-40A. If the alternator did shut down, the starter battery voltage would soon drop enough to call the alternator due to the load from the DC-DC. That’s how I understand it, but I may be wrong.
Yes, thats correct . . and what i saw during testing . .

The starter battery rapidly drops in voltage causing the alternator to kick back in . . . but it will cycle on/off a lot.
without the IGN feed the DC_DC will switch off at say below 12.6v and then back on above 13.6v - causing the cycling effect.

its DC-DC charger specific on how and when they will turn on/off.

WITH the IGN feed the dc-dc will stay on to a much lower starter voltage, say 11.9v which reduces the cycling effect. . . .

without IGN feed average ( Traditional ALT) on/off : 13v - 16v

with IGN feed average (Smart ALT) on/off : 11v-16v

DC-DC on/off voltages listed here - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

1640774864771.png

AUTO VSR feature listed here - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

1640774993522.png

Last edited:
thanks chaps.
i am in NZ and its near midnight now so i will study that tommorow and poss pull it out and start again

thanks chaps.
i am in NZ and its near midnight now so i will study that tommorow and poss pull it out and start again
you should start you own thread @Epic-Rob . its a nice setup you have.

would be nice to keep it all in one place.

start your own build thread here:

then you can add your setup and mods going forwards . . . well help out on that thread too.

am just thinking i had no probs when i did my T6 but i only had 1x 100ah Agm and a dcdc charger (seperate solar controler) so its prob something to do with how i have it set up at mo.

you should start you own thread @Epic-Rob . its a nice setup you have.

would be nice to keep it all in one place.

start your own build thread here:

then you can add your setup and mods going forwards . . . well help out on that thread too.

did think about it but am not very media friendly

Yes, thats correct . . and what i saw during testing . .

The starter battery rapidly drops in voltage causing the alternator to kick back in . . . but it will cycle on/off a lot.
without the IGN feed the DC_DC will switch off at say below 12.6v and then back on above 13.6v - causing the cycling effect.

its DC-DC charger specific on how and when they will turn on/off.

WITH the IGN feed the dc-dc will stay on to a much lower starter voltage, say 11.9v which reduces the cycling effect. . . .

without IGN feed average ( Traditional ALT) on/off : 13v - 16v

with IGN feed average (Smart ALT) on/off : 11v-16v

DC-DC on/off voltages listed here - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

View attachment 139895

AUTO VSR feature listed here - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

View attachment 139896

Cheers for the info. I used the ign feed when I fitted my Orion, I already had one available under the passenger seat & I didn’t trust the new fangled auto sensing. I’m a binary kinda guy & I wanted to be sure that if the engine was running, the battery was charging. None of that ambiguous maybe/maybe not nonsense :rolleyes:

@Salty Spuds - yes me too.

(but for testing i have that connection on a bullet connector so i can test DC-DC units with/without the IGN feeds)

1640777297400.png

i have the Factory T6 OEM LB, so had the fancy BCM Engine RUN feed fitted from new . . it only goes +12v live when engine RPM is detected . . .

so much better than the plane IGN feed. ( which could cause excessive starter battery drop if the IGN is left of for too long without the engine running.)

BCM engine run feed mentioned here: [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

1640777000232.png

1640777013917.png

1640777025403.png

some observations:

A- this looks fine, but I've had issues with this style of breaker switches getting hot causing volt drop when pulling current - so keep an eye on it . . . if it starts to get hot swap out for a MIDI or MEGA fuse.

View attachment 139887

B- is this the main chassis ground connection in yellow? - of so the green? should be both the LB1 + LB2 NEG feeds.

View attachment 139886

both battery NEGS need to got to the SHUNT, then one common GROUND from the SHUNT to the van BODY. Also the gauge of the cable needs to be the same thickness as the main POS as it will be carrying the same high current . . . so if you use 150A cable for the POS, then you need 150A cable for the NEG . . .

if 2x 150A POS then you need 1x300A for the main NEG from the shunt ( same as you have done with the main starter battery feed)

C - where is the second battery? - each battery needs a fuse next to the POS interlink cable.

View attachment 139888

D - Fuse should be on the POS side of the battery. (technically it could go on the NEG side, but depending on the circuit layout the power could fin an alternate route to ground so POS is always best place)

View attachment 139889

E - the second LB2 should have a direct connection to the shunt, it can go to either the LB1 or the shunt, whatever is shortest.

yellow or blue is ok, red is not right, the shunt will not read the power correctly.

View attachment 139890

F - where is this master switch in your schematic?

View attachment 139892

G - can you post a pic of your starter battery NEG terminal and connections

H - Inverter NEG connection needs to do direct to chassis ground, same as all you loads NEGS to chassis. . . ONLY the LB1 & LB2 NEGS to shunt - then shunt to chassis. credis to @Grim Reaper for spotting that one.

View attachment 139893

I - Fuse layout - this is where the fuses would normally be, as close to the battery POS connections as possible.

View attachment 139894

J -
OK Q on cable size and fuses.
from Starter to DCDC i have 100A cable with the 70a fuse
Between (connecting) the 2 batteries again 100A cable with ??a fuse OR is 50amp cable with a ??a fuse.

fuses in Shunt, inverter and DCDC to POS terminal - what are you rating those at?

supply feed ok with 50A cable and appropriate fuse of not higher than cable load?

It's all a question of sizing appropriate to the expected current drain/feed over the cable.
What size is your DC-DC charger? 40A? Then a cable rated for 50A (over whatever length you need to feed it) and a fuse rated 50A to protect the cable from ever getting that much current fed down it would be acceptable.
What rating is your inverter? what is the maximum expected drain from your leisure batteries required to run the inverter at its maximum load? It should be in the specs somewhere. 100A? then you'd need to rate the cables from your leisure batteries to the inverter at say 120A and fuse it accordingly, not forgetting that the negative cable needs to be the same rating or actually higher because you may have the inverter running flat out and all the lights/chargers/water pumps/televisions etc etc on at the same time.
Always fuse nearest the source of the current feed, and rate the fuse to protect the cable not the item that is draining through it (eg if you installed a 50A cable for a 50A drain and fused it at 50A, the chances are you would keep blowing the fuse every time you pulled max current), so rate the cable above the drain, and fuse the cable accordingly.
Nothing wrong with installing 100A cable, and fusing it at 60 or 80A for a 50A device.

There's a handy rating calculator on this page, about halfway down..

You want to be aiming for under 3% drop over the length.

Back