Fuel economy difference between t6 and t6.1 California

if you compare the VW catalogues its 8.5-9.1 l/100km for T6 vs 6.2-7.9 for T6.1 both 204 PS 2WD

if you use sprit monitor the numbers are closer. 9.5 l/100km vs 8,2 l/100km

but either way there's a clear difference between different generation vehicles with the same transmission and power.

same goes for other models

As far as i can see the key differences between 6 and 6.1 which might effect efficiency are:

suspension design (significant updates)
motor generation (same design with updates)
tires
empty weight improvement from 2,568kg to 2,424kg
nominal aerodynamic improvements with face lift bumpers.

so assuming a difference of 1.3 l/100km that difference would be about 650 pounds on 20000 mile annual millage and a 2 pounds a litre fuel price.

If main difference driving that difference is changing your tires then you could be onto a winner after 1 year. Is that a bad pay back?

hence the question.
No idea why that is, but can't imagine tyres will make a big difference, I'm sure that lower rolling resistance have been fitted for years, T6 included.

As far as i can see the key differences between 6 and 6.1 which might effect efficiency are:

suspension design (significant updates)
motor generation (same design with updates)
tires
empty weight improvement from 2,568kg to 2,424kg
nominal aerodynamic improvements with face lift bumpers.
Would imagine all of the above in combination. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Possibly:
The power steering pump on a T6 runs off the engine Aux belt, thus causes drag to the engine (same as Air con pump when engaged), the T6.1 steering rack is electric (doesn’t add any drag to the engine) ?

Back