What do we all think of the T6?

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
I think it's just about long enough into the production and ownership of the T6 to have a fairly good idea of our opinions on the T6; many are ex T5 owners, some are new to van ownership. We had a T5.1 California 180 4motion for three years that was great but had a lot of issues - so bad we sold it and planned never to buy a VW van again! A year later we got sick of pretending we still liked tent camping and started looking again arriving back at the door of VW in the middle of the emissions scandal....

Anyway a number of things brought us back - the engines were completely different, the option of a 5 year warranty was a massive plus and while many T5.1 owners claimed the T6 was pretty much the same, it was tweaked in the right places for us.

So...

We're pretty pleased with ours - it looks better, climate (which was a £2500+ option) is now standard as is a decent Bluetooth hands free phone system and it streams music well even with the basic stereo. Oh and unlike our hateful Kenwood dealer fit "VW" satnav, it switches on in the same week as we turn it on.

So we trimmed the spec down to what we actually need; our last Cali was a pre-reg and pretty much had every option except DSG; we ordered a 150PS 4motion having lost faith in VW bi-turbos but we actually got a 150KW (204PS) model - for once an error worked in our favour and I'm now glad we have the full fat engine.

The new dash is a big plus too BUT it's not as durable as the old one - the piano black trim scratches easily and needs constant wiping. It's very useful though and almost has too many cubby holes - we don't use some of them at all. I've heard a few complaints about the standard dash though - it looks more robust but a cupholder ON the dash? Eh?!

The engine is a LOT better - yes it uses AdBlue but I haven't heard of any issues yes bar the smaller tank which for us is offset by much improved mpg. It's MUCH quieter than before and pulls a lot harder - so much so that it's fairly easy to spin the wheels when pulling away hard - almost impossible in our 180 (also 4motion) and makes me wonder if the FWD ones might be a bit of a handful!?

However one thing keeps coming up - the lights. Ours are the H7s and are "okay" (about the same as with our T5.1) but it's clear that the H4s are a step down really letting the Transporter down as a van. VW NEEDS to sort this out because it's actually dangerous.

So what do you all think? Pleased or not? Better than your T5? Or worse?

Last edited:
The T5 we had was the California SE 130 and I have to admits it belonged to my wife who drove it most The Beach came out after we bought bought ours on the back of the Cape to Capen drive they did. Both of us did enjoy driving it and my wife managed 45mpg driving on the motorways. Best trip was when we went to Scotland. We had problems with the pop up roof after the bellows got caught. The new roof we had never looked right after that's and it put us off using it, could never understand why they never offered the manual version. We also had problems with soft paint where it kept coming off were the roof closed on the body never got to bottom of it. We sold it after we had our house extended as we did not use it much. The dealer who bought it snapped our hand off. The new T6 feels nicer and the 150 engine seems to go like a rocket in comparison though I have not given it much Welly. I get caught out using 5 & 6th gears, it does not like driving in 6th much under 45mph. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks once the running in period is up but I like it and am already thinking what I can buy. Just need to get rid of the spair set of 17'' wheels I have Inthe garage now. :)

Like: Economy, looks, DSG gearbox, seat trim.

Dislikes: H4 headlights,cup holders, size of glove compartment,build quality of dashboard,sliding windows (10 year +design that hasn't been improved),sliding door and tailgate still need slamming,VW sales lack of product knowledge when ordering, and finally H4 headlights.

This is my first VW after having renaults Vauxhalls and the new transit custom . Never went for the transporter because of the very basic equipment levels for the money but after getting a lot of problems with the ford and Renault going to the small engine I gave it a go. The highline is now up with top ford but has better gear ratios and engines . MPG is up by about 5 or 6 mpg on my 140 and drives much better as ford use leaf springs on the rear without a antiroll bar.
I think VW need to keep a eye on the build quality as the ford is better build ( stronger) and the t6 rear bumper is not up to the job on a builders van it the sort if thing you get on a Kia . I must say the rear and side doors are a pain to close after the other makes and noise levels are higher but not to bad .
I would get another and I am very happy with it but if Renault still built the old 2 lt sport I would have one in a flash as I was paying £12500 plus vat for them and all four of mine never let me down.
It all comes down to the dealer after you own it so will have to see how they shape up but can't be as bad as my ford dealer .
It would be better if the highline could have a few more extras as standard so stock vans could be a better buy things like
Heated seats , led front lights and the comfort dash as the standard dash lets it down and few pieces of coloured plastic makes a big difference .

50/50 at the moment. Doesn't help having four faults in four months of owning it and two of them being engine management faults that have been alarms with no answer to why they came up and two more that are still out standing awaiting a fix from VW HQ (two months ago)).
MPG is not what I was expecting (low to mid 30mpg) on dual carriage and motorway sat at 65mph with the 150bhp engine.
Despite having it lined and sound proofed by one of the best conversion companies in the UK, I still find it very road and wind noisy (Kombi)
Positive's
The DSG along with ACC is stunning and makes for a relaxing drive when your stuck behind the 40mph brigade on a 60mph road.
Despite the poor MPG the engine is smooth and refrained for a diesel.
The external looks with the LED's are spot on.
Internally with the Comfort Dash the front cabin is very nice and feels just like a top end VW car.

VW don't offer enough customisation so I did it myself to get the van how I want it.

I love the van to bit.

The poor fuel economy is bang out of order. I'd have had a petrol anyday over a diesel.

I've got to say after 25 years of VW ownership, the T6 is by far the best I've ever had.
But did I mention the H4 headlights??!!

VW don't offer enough customisation so I did it myself to get the van how I want it.

I love the van to bit.

The poor fuel economy is bang out of order. I'd have had a petrol anyday over a diesel.
Your struggling with low MPG too are you? I honestly am not heavy footed and all my other vehicles I've had have given pretty good real world results compared to what the manufacturers have stated but this van is nowhere near what they state. Can't believe VW would lie to us can you. I'm sure they've not lied about anything else before

If I was to rate my overall satisfaction as a percentage, I would probably be around 65% mark.

Dash is a bit plastic-fantastic. 16 plate T5 courtesy van had imho a better dash and the cubby holes had rubber liners- why is this option not available on the T6? Dash creaks a bit too much for my liking also.

I agree with @Twoguns about road noise. I too have added additional soundproofing but noise can be excessive at times, but to be fair, I am running larger wheels and tyres (245 45 19)

Fuel consumption is not too bad (getting around 40mpg) but 70 litre tank is too small.

Driver seat has an annoying creak, had been back at dealer for one (unsuccessful) attempt at a repair.

H4 lights- FLOL

Agree with tailgate needing a bit of a slam to close.

Euro 6 system causes lumpy and erratic idle at times.

Well, you did ask!

Glad I bought a Euro 5 before the 6 came out, fuel consumption is not too bad and runs sweet. Love the van, even the creaky seat and dash rattles, just hope it doesn't get worse over the next five years. Like the driver aids too, auto lights and wipers and even the Discover Media centre works a treat for me too. 95% happy here, just wish the dashboard designer had a brain and the accountants allowed a better quality finish to the plastics.

Yes, the obvious attempts by the VW accountants to claw back some pennies does stick in your throat a fair bit.

I think the new Euro 6 engines are far better than the Euro 5. They sound more petrol like and grunty.
The pretty curves are more akin to the old 1.9pd engines before the tdi Euro 5.

They are quiet and refined and obviously cleaner.

However I just can't get decent economy out of it. I tried really hard. Careful acceleration and steady 70mph and got 28mpg. I now don't try, accelerate hard to the given speed (supposed to be now scholarship that way actually) and still get 28mpg. Best I ever got was 30.1. Worst was 26.

Despite the fuel economy I don't care as I love the van. How it drives, the engine, interior quality now I modified it and my abt kit all overwhelm the poor economy.

I'm hoping it's reliable which I have no reason to believe it won't be.

I just need a remap with the same economy to ease the economy shortfalls.

14 months in and love our van, the few faults (new power side door motor and dash rattle) all sorted by dealer, along with software updates and waiting for a new window regulator.

204 with dsg is just a fine place to be any time, view up the road is great, quiet and refined, average 36 mpg, oh and the looks and waves from other VW's too.

Compared to my 2009 T5 (84bhp chipped to 102bhp)........quantum leap forward. More refined.......more car like.
Negatives.......H4 headlights (there's a surprise!).......occasional degraded performance (regen of DPF?)......having to leave a front door open so as not to have to slam the tail gate or slider.....poorly designed dash (loads of pointless cubby holes.......whoever heard of a car/van glove box that wouldn't take a service book?).......not as economical as my T5. Not as much mid range pull as my T5.....oh, and the creaky drivers seat.
Can I live with those negatives......you bet your boots I can cos I love it.......but oh lord, those bloody headlights! I too think they're dangerous and I'll be contacting VW in the next few days.....but I know they'll say "get the alignment checked......blah, blah, blah"......but I'm gonna really gonna give them grief over this issue.

I think the new Euro 6 engines are far better than the Euro 5. They sound more petrol like and grunty.
The pretty curves are more akin to the old 1.9pd engines before the tdi Euro 5.

They are quiet and refined and obviously cleaner.

However I just can't get decent economy out of it. I tried really hard. Careful acceleration and steady 70mph and got 28mpg. I now don't try, accelerate hard to the given speed (supposed to be now scholarship that way actually) and still get 28mpg. Best I ever got was 30.1. Worst was 26.

Despite the fuel economy I don't care as I love the van. How it drives, the engine, interior quality now I modified it and my abt kit all overwhelm the poor economy.

I'm hoping it's reliable which I have no reason to believe it won't be.

I just need a remap with the same economy to ease the economy shortfalls.
"Obviously Cleaner" who told you that? VW? We will see.

Oh yeh,.....I forgot to mention the work of fiction that is the fuel consumption readout in the MFD......the most woefully inaccurate I've ever experienced......I'll be having a word about that too!

These H4 headlights, what's the easy/cheap way of upgrading these lights? Just curious as my new van has the LED upgrade. Haven't seen an answer yet.

Back