My T6.1 Review

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
The same as my T6 review, but a T6.1:cool:
2021 LWB 150 T30 Manual, Highline Panel van.

OK, 2 months of ownership, and 6000 miles under my belt, so time to do a proper review on my new 6.1

Disclaimer: My original T6 was a fantastic van and did me proud as you can see here in my original T6 review So this isn't a comparison between the two versions 'per se'

10,000 miles and no faults to speak of.
When I say no faults, I do have a couple of gripes that I need to get addressed when the van goes in for servicing, main one being the radio. How have Volkswagen gone several steps forward with the new radio, yet several steps further backwards? DAB doesn't work, so I'm back to FM, which seems to be a common problem, but more annoying is the fact that every few days I have to re-enter my phone code for the radio to recognise my phone, and then re-input all my settings. I did read a while ago that people were having issues with the radio, but it's rather inconvenient, so that needs addressing. Although I highly suspect Volkswagen will just say it's working fine now and there isn't much we can do with it. Only other slight gripe is now I'm running a panel van with a double and a single seat, the double has no adjustments and my colleague complains it's a little too bolt upright. Not much I can do with that and probably a design to maximise loads with the bulkhead.

The van itself is genuinely a pleasure to drive. Volkswagen really have made quite a leap in refinement between my old van and the new, but much of that will be down to the fact I was low in the T6 and stock in the 6.1 at the moment. People say they do need an uprated anti-roll bar, the same as I had in the T6 and I do agree that they have a little body roll when loaded as mine is all the time, but not enough to be uncomfortable. The stock suspension is the first time I've owned a Transporter that's not slammed on the floor, but it's extremely comfortable and sucks up potholes and rough roads with total ease. As do the very uncharacteristic (for me) 16" Clayton's running 65 profile tyres, although the stock Hankook Vantra tyres are total garbage and need throwing off a cliff, but I find any Hankook tyre I've owned to be rubbish. So these will be changed ASAP.
The interior is a big improvement on previous versions, with a much more 'car like' refinement, better use of space and the USB-C outlets, combined with a genuine Volkswagen lead is super fast to charge up my Samsung phone, where as the previous ones took hours.
The biggest and by far the most impressive upgrade on the 6.1 is the steering. This is now electronic and on paper you wouldn't really pay it a huge amount of attention, but the difference between that and the previous hydraulic is striking. The van feels much lighter to drive, the input is very little and the much improved Highline steering wheel only adds to the experience.
My wife has a full electric Mini and this also has the same electric steering, but hers is no where near as light. Volkswagen have exceeded my expectations on this change alone.

It's nice to see VW putting front sensors as standard in the higher commercial models, but the fact it jams the brakes on if it thinks you are too close to an object when parking, can take some getting used to, but that's not a negative. The factory LED lights are as good as the previous ones at night, although I'd of liked more dynamic features. Again, the Mini as a comparison, has matrix headlights, which anyone who's driven a car with this feature will agree, it's fantastic. I see no reason this couldn't of been added to the headlights in the factory baring in mind the cost to upgrade to factory LEDs.
As a previous DSG owner and now a Manual, I don't really miss the DSG. The manual is silky smooth and the clutch is super light, so doesn't detract from the experience at all.
The 150 is certainly not as powerful as my mapped 204 was, but it still has enough to pull a heavy van and will still cruise at daft speeds if you want it too (apparently) but the biggest improvement on the 204 is the fuel consumption. I've always been used to mid 20s at best on my T6, but the 6.1 is high 30s all the time. Maybe some of that's to do with the T6 being very powerful and therefor very playful, but the 150 has calmed me down somewhat, so maybe that's why. Again, certainly not a negative.

Lastly, I need to address the reoccurring question that I get asked. What am I going to do with the T6.1?
My T6 was slammed, different wheels every month, constant modifications etc etc. My life was different then. I've sat back over the past few months and taken stock of the money I spent on my van and it's eye watering. This only came to light when one of my businesses that's 20 years old, seemed to totally stall for months (something I've never seen, but we live in precarious times now) and I realised that all that spending would have been better placed elsewhere. Thankfully that industry has now recovered for now, but it did show me that we cannot take anything for granted anymore and my priorities are best placed elsewhere, which they are now.
So what will I be doing? The van certainly won't be slammed, mapped, tweaked or modified in any major manner. I purchased a new set of exterior plastics that are in the bodyshop for Gloss Black work, but that's mainly because painted plastic trims are much easier to look after and keep their new look much longer than the mass of unpainted bare plastic Volkswagen stick on a commercial vehicle. I was tempted to Swamper it, thus keeping the nice comfortable feel, but previous experience has taught me that once I start moving the wheels closer to the body, they only end up chipping the hell out of the paintwork, which then leads to rust, which the T6 had plenty of. So I'm keeping it as it is, with just a tyre change. That may sound rather boring to some, but I've been in the other places and I've done it to death. Plus I put some of my previous modifications down to some the issues I had in the latter stages of the T6 ownership, which again cost me a stack of cash to rectify. Hence the 6.1 still sat as Volkswagen built it in the factory. I never say never, but this is where I'm at right now.

The T6 was a different beast being low and powerful, which in turn made me heavy footed, competitive and aggressive on the roads and always stressed out when driving. The 6.1 is no head turner, doesn't kick the ass of your average BMW driver and doesn't corner like one of the Mario brothers, which in turn makes me less stressed, less aggressive and more money in the bank at the end of a month, and that's literally no exaggeration.

My 2017 T6 was a brilliant van and I loved almost every moment of ownership, and I will say the the replacement 6.1 is slightly better to drive.
As per my T6 review that I started in December 2017, only time and mileage will tell if this is going to be as good.

OK, 2 months of ownership, and 6000 miles under my belt, so time to do a proper review on my new 6.1

Disclaimer: My original T6 was a fantastic van and did me proud as you can see here in my original T6 review So this isn't a comparison between the two versions 'per se'

When I say no faults, I do have a couple of gripes that I need to get addressed when the van goes in for servicing, main one being the radio. How have Volkswagen gone several steps forward with the new radio, yet several steps further backwards? DAB doesn't work, so I'm back to FM, which seems to be a common problem, but more annoying is the fact that every few days I have to re-enter my phone code for the radio to recognise my phone, and then re-input all my settings. I did read a while ago that people were having issues with the radio, but it's rather inconvenient, so that needs addressing. Although I highly suspect Volkswagen will just say it's working fine now and there isn't much we can do with it. Only other slight gripe is now I'm running a panel van with a double and a single seat, the double has no adjustments and my colleague complains it's a little too bolt upright. Not much I can do with that and probably a design to maximise loads with the bulkhead.

The van itself is genuinely a pleasure to drive. Volkswagen really have made quite a leap in refinement between my old van and the new, but much of that will be down to the fact I was low in the T6 and stock in the 6.1 at the moment. People say they do need an uprated anti-roll bar, the same as I had in the T6 and I do agree that they have a little body roll when loaded as mine is all the time, but not enough to be uncomfortable. The stock suspension is the first time I've owned a Transporter that's not slammed on the floor, but it's extremely comfortable and sucks up potholes and rough roads with total ease. As do the very uncharacteristic (for me) 16" Clayton's running 65 profile tyres, although the stock Hankook Vantra tyres are total garbage and need throwing off a cliff, but I find any Hankook tyre I've owned to be rubbish. So these will be changed ASAP.
The interior is a big improvement on previous versions, with a much more 'car like' refinement, better use of space and the USB-C outlets, combined with a genuine Volkswagen lead is super fast to charge up my Samsung phone, where as the previous ones took hours.
The biggest and by far the most impressive upgrade on the 6.1 is the steering. This is now electronic and on paper you wouldn't really pay it a huge amount of attention, but the difference between that and the previous hydraulic is striking. The van feels much lighter to drive, the input is very little and the much improved Highline steering wheel only adds to the experience.
My wife has a full electric Mini and this also has the same electric steering, but hers is no where near as light. Volkswagen have exceeded my expectations on this change alone.

It's nice to see VW putting front sensors as standard in the higher commercial models, but the fact it jams the brakes on if it thinks you are too close to an object when parking, can take some getting used to, but that's not a negative. The factory LED lights are as good as the previous ones at night, although I'd of liked more dynamic features. Again, the Mini as a comparison, has matrix headlights, which anyone who's driven a car with this feature will agree, it's fantastic. I see no reason this couldn't of been added to the headlights in the factory baring in mind the cost to upgrade to factory LEDs.
As a previous DSG owner and now a Manual, I don't really miss the DSG. The manual is silky smooth and the clutch is super light, so doesn't detract from the experience at all.
The 150 is certainly not as powerful as my mapped 204 was, but it still has enough to pull a heavy van and will still cruise at daft speeds if you want it too (apparently) but the biggest improvement on the 204 is the fuel consumption. I've always been used to mid 20s at best on my T6, but the 6.1 is high 30s all the time. Maybe some of that's to do with the T6 being very powerful and therefor very playful, but the 150 has calmed me down somewhat, so maybe that's why. Again, certainly not a negative.

Lastly, I need to address the reoccurring question that I get asked. What am I going to do with the T6.1?
My T6 was slammed, different wheels every month, constant modifications etc etc. My life was different then. I've sat back over the past few months and taken stock of the money I spent on my van and it's eye watering. This only came to light when one of my businesses that's 20 years old, seemed to totally stall for months (something I've never seen, but we live in precarious times now) and I realised that all that spending would have been better placed elsewhere. Thankfully that industry has now recovered for now, but it did show me that we cannot take anything for granted anymore and my priorities are best placed elsewhere, which they are now.
So what will I be doing? The van certainly won't be slammed, mapped, tweaked or modified in any major manner. I purchased a new set of exterior plastics that are in the bodyshop for Gloss Black work, but that's mainly because painted plastic trims are much easier to look after and keep their new look much longer than the mass of unpainted bare plastic Volkswagen stick on a commercial vehicle. I was tempted to Swamper it, thus keeping the nice comfortable feel, but previous experience has taught me that once I start moving the wheels closer to the body, they only end up chipping the hell out of the paintwork, which then leads to rust, which the T6 had plenty of. So I'm keeping it as it is, with just a tyre change. That may sound rather boring to some, but I've been in the other places and I've done it to death. Plus I put some of my previous modifications down to some the issues I had in the latter stages of the T6 ownership, which again cost me a stack of cash to rectify. Hence the 6.1 still sat as Volkswagen built it in the factory. I never say never, but this is where I'm at right now.

The T6 was a different beast being low and powerful, which in turn made me heavy footed, competitive and aggressive on the roads and always stressed out when driving. The 6.1 is no head turner, doesn't kick the ass of your average BMW driver and doesn't corner like one of the Mario brothers, which in turn makes me less stressed, less aggressive and more money in the bank at the end of a month, and that's literally no exaggeration.

My 2017 T6 was a brilliant van and I loved almost every moment of ownership, and I will say the the replacement 6.1 is slightly better to drive.
As per my T6 review that I started in December 2017, only time and mileage will tell if this is going to be as good.
Can't believe I won't be meeting you in some random car park half way up the country.

We are about to sell our 2017 T6 and buy another new Van and the T6.1 is making more sense at the moment than a crafter for my business. I think the 150 is also what we will be looking at, nice to hear it has enough power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another couple of thousand miles later and still no issues, but I wouldn't really expect there to be any.

Couple more points now I'm settled in:
Still stock, and still no regrets staying stock.
The LWB Panel van has been a total revolution for my work, especially my Home improvement business.(having previously being LWB Kombi)
I can get 10ft lengths in this thing corner to corner, which is a life saver on some projects. We recently started a Greenhouse project, where the owner wanted an older better quality Greenhouse (used) in fact the whole project is about re-using as much as possible, rather than buying new. Anyway, they wanted an 8x10 Greenhouse, which I found and had to dismantle from another county. The longer 10ft sides were a Tetris nightmare to actually get in the back, with the tailgate shut, but I did it. I may modify the lower part of the bulkhead to get things like this through the bulkhead, using some kind of closing flap, like other manufactures do, but it's not uncommon to need this kind of length in my industries.

Also, a slight gripe that I could do with finding out if anyone has the same issue? I actually like the Start/Stop function on a manual, but I do find the starter motor to be a little agricultural, as in it's quite aggressive at restarting and tends to be far less refined a start, than the T6 was, which in traffic, just means I switch it off because it's annoying.

One bonus being stock, that I've never seen before, is throughout the winter months in the T6, I would pick up loads of stone chip damage around the edges of my arches, which eventually led to rust issues. I washed off the 6.1 yesterday and I have no chips around the arches, or on the bonnet for that matter. I can only put this down to the wheels naturally sitting much further under the wheel arch than any previous wheels on the T6.

Lastly, I am really disappointed with the stock radio, as pointed out initially. The DAB is still unusable, and it still requires my phone pin to connect every few days, but more annoyingly is the handsfree is not brilliant either. I'm on the road a lot, and therefor answering the phone a lot, but I've lost count of the amount of people that have said the handsfree is really poor quality. I never had a complaint with the T6.

Despite the above gripes, I'm still loving the 6.1 and genuinely look forward to jumping into it each day.

3k a month? On par with my days in a Ford repmobile!
Thanks so much for your review, it’s confirmed that the steering difference between 6 and 6.1 is worth it.
Also the standard set up staying put-parking on brownfield sites cost me the AGR and radiator on my A3 sport!
I can’t see that the potholes, speed bumps, rumble strips, managed motorways and all the other s****e today are going away-plus we want to drive up a farm track without damaging the van andL2 disc!
How does yours drive when not full (2 up and as a day van)? Does it get jumpy.
Cheers
Shrimps on tour

I've been in my T6.1 now for just over a year and........hmmmmm, not sure. I think there's more road noise in the cab, and wind noise from the drivers door despite fitting the seals. There isn't as much room above the ceiling in the front to get much insulation in, same with the doors. The steering is better, the fuel economy is worse ( 140 to a 150 DSG) The DSG gear stick looks like the cheapest thing in the VAG parts bin! but the dash is nicer. Sliding windows haven't started leaking yet ( damn! Jinx! ) LED's are a revelation, and the auto dimming is the dogs. ACC is annoying but I miss it when I'm in the car. You have to lean round to see the heated windscreen button, stupid design!

We have had a number of VAG cars and vans back to back over the years, and this T6.1 like the vehicles we've had, suffer from the same feeling; more fancy tech but a general slide in build quality and materials used.

I've been in my T6.1 now for just over a year and........hmmmmm, not sure. I think there's more road noise in the cab, and wind noise from the drivers door despite fitting the seals. There isn't as much room above the ceiling in the front to get much insulation in, same with the doors. The steering is better, the fuel economy is worse ( 140 to a 150 DSG) The DSG gear stick looks like the cheapest thing in the VAG parts bin! but the dash is nicer. Sliding windows haven't started leaking yet ( damn! Jinx! ) LED's are a revelation, and the auto dimming is the dogs. ACC is annoying but I miss it when I'm in the car. You have to lean round to see the heated windscreen button, stupid design!

We have had a number of VAG cars and vans back to back over the years, and this T6.1 like the vehicles we've had, suffer from the same feeling; more fancy tech but a general slide in build quality and materials used.
Agreed on all of the above ,we have ours now but man alive 70s pop tins were thicker metal just washed the van it the metal under the drivers door window is so flimsy you can push it in with a little finger no wonder the cab is so noisey ,ours is a pannel van it comes with zero sound deadening from the factory
All new vans are the same, my mate has a new transit custom same thing its all about reducing weight and emissions .
Not a patch on the build quality of the T5 or even T6.
It drives really well the steering is ace ,but for such an expensive thing I dont know I hope it grows on us .

5pot T5 we’re like a tank, no cam belts to worry about, just turbo hoses blowing off. (1.6mm gas welding rod and cordless drill easy repair)

Back