@Skyliner33 there are a few videos on YouTube showing the bench removal in the standard cali, most seem to loosen the drivers seat base to do this. I have a swivel on the drivers seat which allows just enough space to get the bench out with the drivers seat part rotated. You might get lucky it the seat is mounted on the passenger side though.

For the bed board brackets they are caravelle ones from ebay modified to suit, the caravelle brackets are higher than the california one. I reduced the height of them and set them back a bit on the base. The bed board is just a bit of lightweight furniture ply, I just used the mattress topper as a template to cut it.

If I was doing it again in the lwb van I'd go with the single swb rails set at the back of the van, it'd give you a good mount for the bed board and make removing easier while still having a good range of movement in the seat.

I’ve removed my Cali seat from the rails and didn’t have an issue with the front seats. My rails may not be in the standard position.
I’m not sure it’s relevant to the positioning but I removed the seat cushion and drawer so it reduced the weight but I could also position one of my legs in the centre of the seat to help with lifting.

I’ve removed my Cali seat from the rails and didn’t have an issue with the front seats. My rails may not be in the standard position.
I’m not sure it’s relevant to the positioning but I removed the seat cushion and drawer so it reduced the weight but I could also position one of my legs in the centre of the seat to help with lifting.
Would you mind measuring where your rails are please,?

Mine's the same. Colin sets the rails back slightly for this reason

@david173 i ran mine for a little while without the covers or floor inplace after i did the conversion so yes they still work just not as smooth as they are when the covers are on.
Thank you thats really useful to know. It means I don't have to have the floor sorted straight after rail fitting.

Would you mind measuring where your rails are please,?
Here are a few photos which show the measurements. Its a NWCC Verso conversion, the seat is removable (not done it yet). If the bed board and support is removed the seat goes all the way back or if the bed board is just tilted on the support frame it can give extra space. For two of us we find there is plenty of room without removing or tilting the bed board.
There is one photo of the seat back close to the wheel arch, I think I’ve seen a thread on this forum regarding the mod, from what I remember it’s not much more than a quick hacksaw and file job with some fabric tucking and fixing.
I’m very pleased with the rail / cali seat system, it gives so much flexibility with very little effort, however the anodised rail trim isn’t very tough so I’d advise a rug to cover the rails near the side door where there is most traffic.
View attachment 69686View attachment 69687View attachment 69688

@DXX
Thanks, it looks like Exploria mount the rail a bit further back. This could either be the way the mount it, or a slight difference between Cal and Velle rails. Maybe this extra few cms makes it a bit easier to remove.
Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 12.11.46.png

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 12.11.58.png

@DXX
Thanks, it looks like Exploria mount the rail a bit further back. This could either be the way the mount it, or a slight difference between Cal and Velle rails. Maybe this extra few cms makes it a bit easier to remove.
View attachment 135063

View attachment 135064
It definitely isn’t easy and the risk of damaging the floor is high.
I’m planning on making some bolt on bogeys for the Cali seat to allow a simple cam action to lift it out of the rails and wheel it out of the side door on to a platform.
It’s one of the many things on my jobs list!

I have a LWB van that I stuck 4 of the SWB outer rails from your picture in, works no bother with the cali seat - it would be fine using the two rails in the position you show in the pic. The only reason I stuck the 4 rails in was for lashing points when the seat/kitchen is out.

I fitted them at the forward position in the van (so rails finish where they should at the front and bigger gap at the back) and just made up a couple of brackets to hold a 'parcel shelf' for the back of the bed as in the photo below.

One thing I didn't appreciate is the cali bed is a bit of a pain in the hoop to remove as the handle fouls on the driver seat base when you go to remove it. If you are planning having the seat in and out frequently and don't need it right forward I'd consider having the SWB rails positioned where they end at the right place at the back and you have the gap at the front - would make removing the seat less of a faf.

View attachment 134966
Did you fit the rails yourself?
If so how did you go on with the fact that the square holes in the SWB rails wont match up with the correct mounting points in the van floor?
Thanks

Did you fit the rails yourself?
If so how did you go on with the fact that the square holes in the SWB rails wont match up with the correct mounting points in the van floor?
Thanks
Yeah, stuck them in myself. With the SWB rails in the LWB almost all the holes lined up with the correct mounting points on the van, the only one that didn't land on a cross member was the last bolt in each of the outer rails - for those two bolts I just put a spreader plate in.

Yeah, stuck them in myself. With the SWB rails in the LWB almost all the holes lined up with the correct mounting points on the van, the only one that didn't land on a cross member was the last bolt in each of the outer rails - for those two bolts I just put a spreader plate in.
Thanks.

Sorry anther question, did you start at the front in the OEM position? So putting the seat in and out becomes a bit difficult?

I have a LWB van that I stuck 4 of the SWB outer rails from your picture in, works no bother with the cali seat - it would be fine using the two rails in the position you show in the pic. The only reason I stuck the 4 rails in was for lashing points when the seat/kitchen is out.

I fitted them at the forward position in the van (so rails finish where they should at the front and bigger gap at the back) and just made up a couple of brackets to hold a 'parcel shelf' for the back of the bed as in the photo below.

One thing I didn't appreciate is the cali bed is a bit of a pain in the hoop to remove as the handle fouls on the driver seat base when you go to remove it. If you are planning having the seat in and out frequently and don't need it right forward I'd consider having the SWB rails positioned where they end at the right place at the back and you have the gap at the front - would make removing the seat less of a faf.

View attachment 134966
Hi, would you mind sharing a bit of information how you make the brackets and bed shelf please? It's one thing now Im not sure where to buy one. I can find loads online for the triple bench Velle seats, but none for the Cali seats. Thanks again

Hi, would you mind sharing a bit of information how you make the brackets and bed shelf please? It's one thing now Im not sure where to buy one. I can find loads online for the triple bench Velle seats, but none for the Cali seats. Thanks again
Hi, the ones I bought were the caravelle ones, as you say, not many about the right height for the cali bed. I cut them down to height and welded (well splattered some weld about the join) a replacement longer base on them, this allowed them to overhang the end of the rail given it is a swb rail but still have two fixing points on the rail. On the overhanging bit I put a wee plastic foot on to keep it the same height. All pretty solid when in place.

I'm away this weekend so can't get photos, although do have this one on my phone. Hopefully that's a bit clearer, shout if there are questions.....

20211105_131114.jpg

Back