First time builder- Orange Camper (ex RAC conversion)

We got a bit side tracked with swivels and seats… having bought a rotating base for the driver from Rusty Lee, we rapidly learned that we really needed something more for the passenger seat, so a bit of forum browsing and we ended up buying a Vankraft adaptor, for £160ish i think.

at this point though I learned about ‘star sockets’… so a few quid later the van looked at a new low point (-10 smug points) :

View attachment 196122
but…. Oh my goodness what an improvement!
View attachment 196123
we also made some wooden reinforcement for the seat back from 9mm ply. I work in a job where light weighting things is the default, so it has a few holes in it, which took about 30 percent of the weight out but still has holes too big for my body kiddos for to crack it.

View attachment 196124
lovely bit of teak oil and sealed edges… even though it’s hidden… +3 smug points

This is neat. I need to make something similar for a bed board.

How do you figure out the optimum hole size and spacing while keeping the strength you need to retain?

I have just started to convert an ex RAC van and the switches will go back ok into their original places (loom is long enough). The RAC fit kit is very well made and it does take time to carefully remove all their ancillaries.

Can anyone assist me with how to remove the road speed limiter? mine is limited to 74mph?

View attachment 196120
with the floor in it was time to start laying out the van. We built it all to use eurocrates; they stack neatly, are a set size so actually work together and are sturdy. We’re also using 20mm x 20mm Aluminium extrusion to build something modular and flexible.

We ordered an Alpicool compressor fridge (waaaay too big… don’t get sucked in!) it’s nice, but far too big and caused issues with our home brew kitchen.

A bit of masking tape later and we were feeling hyper confident in our diy ability. TEN THOUSAND SMUG POINTS,
Hi. How are you getting on with the ali extrusion and eurocrates. Just about to start my build Looking at 2020 for the kitchen section at least…

Back