Just about to join team EX RAC

I have already disconnected the feed when I installed the new battery it just made sense to start again I don't like picking up on other peoples work.
Best way, it is also why I didn't want to buy a converted van, some are dodgy if not done right and it is all hidden.

I just drilled them out, either go for a bumpy ride and they will work themselves down to a point you can get them from or I think they are magnetic so use a strong magnet.
Sounds like a plan I'll try that and hopefully they stick to the drill bit and come out.

So i've junked the electrics now but i'm left with a couple of questions. Firstly does anyone know what the single yellow wire is and what it does it seems to come off the standard VW wiring secondly the live power came from the battery under the seat and fed relay 64 3 and 3 other fuses Im guessing they are the tow bar electrics and the 12v socket at the bottom of the gear. Now that the second battery is gone they will presumably need power again and are they already grounded? Can anyone shed some light on this please.Thanks.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

wiring.jpg

So progress has been a bit slow of late as work has got in the way of my conversion plans, but I have been beavering away and have now fully stripped all of the electrics out of the van plus sound deadened an insulated the rear all the decals are gone some were a real pain to remove I have sound deadened the front cab above the headliner also carpeted the headliner and sound deadened the side steps and I took of the wipers and did the scuttle area which has made a surprising reduction in engine noise entering the cab. Today after reading many good reviews about CRS Performance I took the 6 hour round trip to Cannock to have the van lifted by 25mm so now I have Koni springs and dampers plus new disc and pads all round and new anti roll bar Powerflex bushes and new drop link arms. I can't tell you how much better the van is now, gone is the vague downright dangerous steering and the crashing and banging from the super stiff springs on the back that felt like when I took a corner I was going to tip over I can now take roundabouts a ease aim at potholes and blast over them without a care in the world Steve and his team did a fantastic job I can highly recommend them. And finally Steve fitted the new wheels Id bought off Flea Bay last week a set of 17'' Riviera RXS3 With General Grabbers the entire set up is spot on and is just superb.
I managed to get a few hours in over last week and the Transporter HQ V3 Sequential headlight and the Laser lights in the grill so I can now see where I am going at night and instantly blind all oncoming vehicles with my Lasers.
So that's it for now I think windows next and reverse camera which reminds me does anyone know if the standard head unit can facilitate a reversing camera?
All the best everyone and here's some pics ( we all like pics ).

van3 copy.jpg

van1.jpg

van2 copy.jpg

van copy.jpg

So progress has been a bit slow of late as work has got in the way of my conversion plans, but I have been beavering away and have now fully stripped all of the electrics out of the van plus sound deadened an insulated the rear all the decals are gone some were a real pain to remove I have sound deadened the front cab above the headliner also carpeted the headliner and sound deadened the side steps and I took of the wipers and did the scuttle area which has made a surprising reduction in engine noise entering the cab. Today after reading many good reviews about CRS Performance I took the 6 hour round trip to Cannock to have the van lifted by 25mm so now I have Koni springs and dampers plus new disc and pads all round and new anti roll bar Powerflex bushes and new drop link arms. I can't tell you how much better the van is now, gone is the vague downright dangerous steering and the crashing and banging from the super stiff springs on the back that felt like when I took a corner I was going to tip over I can now take roundabouts a ease aim at potholes and blast over them without a care in the world Steve and his team did a fantastic job I can highly recommend them. And finally Steve fitted the new wheels Id bought off Flea Bay last week a set of 17'' Riviera RXS3 With General Grabbers the entire set up is spot on and is just superb.
I managed to get a few hours in over last week and the Transporter HQ V3 Sequential headlight and the Laser lights in the grill so I can now see where I am going at night and instantly blind all oncoming vehicles with my Lasers.
So that's it for now I think windows next and reverse camera which reminds me does anyone know if the standard head unit can facilitate a reversing camera?

View attachment 209983

View attachment 209984

View attachment 209985

View attachment 209986
Looks awesome, loving the Lasers :)

The stock head unit doesn't take a reverse camera, unfortunately. The RAC had it connected via a rear view mirror screen, most of them got removed when they decommissioned the vans. I ended up replacing the camera (they kindly cut the wire in several places!) and replacing the head unit

View attachment 209983

View attachment 209984

View attachment 209985

View attachment 209986
How easy was it to get the headliner down? I'd like to do something similar.

Remove A and B pillars
Remove sun visors
Remove grab handles if you have them
Remove cabin light unit (2 screws in the unit holding it to the roof)
Then just start prising it down

Then you are left with the removed article......

IMG_5922.JPEG

Looks awesome, loving the Lasers :)

The stock head unit doesn't take a reverse camera, unfortunately. The RAC had it connected via a rear view mirror screen, most of them got removed when they decommissioned the vans. I ended up replacing the camera (they kindly cut the wire in several places!) and replacing the head unit
Thank you.

Not too bad to be honest I faffed around a bit getting the light out as I was convinced there was more screws than there actually is you just need to remove the blanking plate behind it and remove I think it was 3 screws in total it's a nice jobb to do freshens the entire cab up and I sound deadened it will it was off.

It's the little things that give us such pleasure. Just fitted the glasses holder hopefully that will prevent my reading glasses going walkabout every 5 minutes :)

sunnyies.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back