Failed Solar Panel Advice

musttriharder

VIP Member
T6 Pro
The solar panel on my van doesn't appear to be charging anymore (last 'successful' cycle was 3 weeks ago). Oddly though, when looking at the Victron app first thing in the morning, there is voltage (but no watts / amps due to lack of sunlight), but an hour or so later, there's nothing.

I disconnected the MC4 connectors this morning to test the panel directly and got voltage @ 07:45, but when I checked again @ 09:11, I got nothing (multimeter probes are correctly inserted and contacting metal). I'm not sure what brand / rating the panel is (the black box at the back is labelled PV-XC502, which leads me to believe it's not perhaps the best panel in the world)

Would I be correct in assuming that the panel has failed, or am I doing something stupid?

If it has failed, given it appears to be bonded down, is the best way to remove using a windscreen removing wire?

Thanks for any advice
image0.jpeg
image1.png
image2.jpeg
image3.png
IMG_8311.jpg

Your charger is turned off. Go to settings and switch it back on

Your charger is turned off. Go to settings and switch it back on
Multimeter was connected directly into the solar panel cables, MPPT was disconnected from the circuit, so why would that matter?

Rain today, so no chance of PV voltage > 5v over battery voltage to initiate charge, but yesterday was bright sunshine and PV voltage didn't go over 12v

Watching this! I have the same problem, zero problems in over 2 years but I’ve the last 30 days have had the very same symptoms. I haven’t fully cleaned the panel as yet (tomorrow’s job!) let me know what you find

Loads of info & experience of this on the forum. Search for “failed solar panel”

Watching this! I have the same problem, zero problems in over 2 years but I’ve the last 30 days have had the very same symptoms. I haven’t fully cleaned the panel as yet (tomorrow’s job!) let me know what you find
To search the forum as per @Salty Spuds advice @CtotheA, google "failed solar panel site:www.t6forum.com". I already had and was hoping someone might have replaced the diodes / electronics rather than having to replace the whole panel

This has the same panel as mine

This demonstrates similar issues

Unfortunately these type of panels do fail and there’s nothing you can do but find a cheese wire and remove it.

And how it’s going to help with heat on the next one? Repeat same mistake? Better go for a decent ally frame and glass, it will outlast the vehicle.
My panel is 5 years old and still going strong, on a Reflex Silver GRP Reimo roof. I’ve checked and it doesn’t get hot.
Anything not flush with the roof will cause extra drag and fuel consumption, calculate that into the lifetime of the vehicle and it’ll negate any panel cost savings I think.

Back