Solar Panel dilemma ...

Orca

VIP Member
A year ago I replaced my failed 120W Photonic Universe semi-flexible panel (initially fitted by Low-Life when they did the roof) with a 200W semi-flexible Photonic Universe panel.
This seemed to work really well initially but, unfortunately, has also now failed!
It is still under warranty and Photonic Universe is happy to send out a replacement.
I have noticed that they are now supplying a fibreglass semi-flexible panel that theoretically has a longer lifespan and comes with 3-year warranty.
I can get a discount on one of these if they don't send out the replacement!
So, I'm tempted by a 270W one ...
However, they are only 2 mm, rather than 4mm, so need to be installed on a flat surface - not the ribbed roof.
Q1 - any ideas on the best way to fill the troughs in the roof to make it flat.
(I thought of sticking on top of the existing panel but the new one is longer and marginally wider.)
The 270W fibreglass panel has an open circuit voltage of 28.6V compared to the existing panel's 23.8V so I'm not sure if my CTEK D250SE (with a limit of 23V) will work.
Has anyone had experience with these fibreglass panels?
Q2 - any recommendations for either replacing the CTEK (I think even the Renogy has a max 25V) or would it be better to get a stand-alone Solar Charge Controller? - maybe one specifically for the 100Ah LiFePO4 battery?
Q3 - do I need 270W or should I just fit the replacement 200W?
... or any other suggestions?

(I thought of sticking on top of the existing panel but the new one is longer and marginally wider.
Isn’t that an advantage when sticking over the top? Just build up the edge lip with adhesive.
I have a Photonic Universe semi-flexible that’s been in use on a flat Reimo roof for 5 1/2 years without any issues, it has a textured finish, no idea if that is a fibreglass type. I‘d guess mine is closer to 2mm than 4mm.
IMO 200W is more than adequate but only you know what equipment you want to operate and for how long.

A year ago I replaced my failed 120W Photonic Universe semi-flexible panel (initially fitted by Low-Life when they did the roof) with a 200W semi-flexible Photonic Universe panel.
This seemed to work really well initially but, unfortunately, has also now failed!
It is still under warranty and Photonic Universe is happy to send out a replacement.
I have noticed that they are now supplying a fibreglass semi-flexible panel that theoretically has a longer lifespan and comes with 3-year warranty.
I can get a discount on one of these if they don't send out the replacement!
So, I'm tempted by a 270W one ...
However, they are only 2 mm, rather than 4mm, so need to be installed on a flat surface - not the ribbed roof.
Q1 - any ideas on the best way to fill the troughs in the roof to make it flat.
(I thought of sticking on top of the existing panel but the new one is longer and marginally wider.)
The 270W fibreglass panel has an open circuit voltage of 28.6V compared to the existing panel's 23.8V so I'm not sure if my CTEK D250SE (with a limit of 23V) will work.
Has anyone had experience with these fibreglass panels?
Q2 - any recommendations for either replacing the CTEK (I think even the Renogy has a max 25V) or would it be better to get a stand-alone Solar Charge Controller? - maybe one specifically for the 100Ah LiFePO4 battery?
Q3 - do I need 270W or should I just fit the replacement 200W?
... or any other suggestions?
We have had one fail on a HiLo and a Low-life, just wondering if the flex in the roof when its get put and pulled down stresses it , I also know low-life have had ones fail

just a thought

That's a good point.
I have gone for the exact replacement under warranty - I may stick the new one on top of the old one - maybe that will stiffen it up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed mine to 4mm twin wall, you can cut a piece to the exact size for the new panel and the total thickness will only be 6 mm,

I guess that would work.
Have you installed the fiberglass reinforced panel? Have long has it been installed?
What wattage did you go for?

I guess that would work.
Have you installed the fiberglass reinforced panel? Have long has it been installed?
What wattage did you go for?
Its an 80 W panel from Lensun Solar, been on since May, fixed to the roof using VHB tape, still stuck down firmly despite all the wet weather and motorway driving. I think its a better solution to bonding to an old panel as it provides air gaps under the panel to help with cooling and expansion (well that's the theory anyway). Someone on here said that that's what the do in Australia

I suspect panel reliability is affected by the colour of the roof. My Reimo roof is Reflex Silver (metallic) and isn’t hot even in strong direct sunlight.

I should add the panel is fixed to the twin wall using the eyelets already in the panel which means there is very little surface area of the panel fixed in place allowing expansion and contraction and I can remove the panel if it fails in minutes, The twin wall is fixed to the roof using VHB tape. I cut the twin wall over size so that each edge was resting on a raised rib, a larger panel would probably be a better fit

IMG_1926.jpg

I should add the panel is fixed to the twin wall using the eyelets already in the panel which means there is very little surface area of the panel fixed in place allowing expansion and contraction and I can remove the panel if it fails in minutes, The twin wall is fixed to the roof using VHB tape. I cut the twin wall over size so that each edge was resting on a raised rib, a larger panel would probably be a better fit

View attachment 209114
Thats a different solution. I would be worried about the studs pulling through the twinwall when driving if wind got under the panel. How did you stop this? Also do the bolt heads under the twinwall not prevent it lying flat on the van roof?

Thats a different solution. I would be worried about the studs pulling through the twinwall when driving if wind got under the panel. How did you stop this? Also do the bolt heads under the twinwall not prevent it lying flat on the van roof?
The studs wont pull through the twin wall as there are washers underneath spreading the load and I lined it up so the bolts go in a dip in the roof. The black caps on the bolts look a bit odd from this angle but its all lower than my roof bars and you can't see them or the panel from ground level.

IMG_1930.jpg

Back