Solar panel failed

Slask

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Our T6 has a poptop, with a solar panel bonded directly to it. The panel has failed, but we can get a replacement under warranty. However, getting the panel off the roof is not covered by the warranty, and my conversion company say it's impossible without causing damage to the roof. They suggest bonding the replacement panel directly on to the old, failed panel. I'm reluctant to go down this route, as I fear developing a rising stack of failed panels is inevitable? Any suggestions?

Get a section of vinyl wrap stuck to the roof....

Then bond the panel to that.....that way when it's removed it shouldn't damage the paint work.

Some ppl do just stick the new one on top as they are so thin....but getting the same size panel can sometimes be an issue.

The old one can be cut off using the cheese wire method with a string line or cotton to cut the old adhesive. Then you need to remove the residue...then maybe vinyl wrap.

Some info over here....

Our T6 has a poptop, with a solar panel bonded directly to it. The panel has failed, but we can get a replacement under warranty. However, getting the panel off the roof is not covered by the warranty, and my conversion company say it's impossible without causing damage to the roof. They suggest bonding the replacement panel directly on to the old, failed panel. I'm reluctant to go down this route, as I fear developing a rising stack of failed panels is inevitable? Any suggestions?
Join the club, loads of failed panel stories on the forum. I’m on my 3rd. The first 2 failed & were semi flexible bonded ones like yours. The first one was removed using the cheese wire method. I then had the next one bonded on top of a piece of vinyl wrap in anticipation that this would fail too. It did, & now I have a rigid, which is what I should have had in the first place.

Thanks. I've been thinking about this. Will the poptop bear the additional weight of the rigid panel, and can one just install the rigid over the old semi-flexible one without removing it?

Thanks. I've been thinking about this. Will the poptop bear the additional weight of the rigid panel, and can one just install the rigid over the old semi-flexible one without removing it?
Weight certainly isn’t an issue. For the sake of my OCD I’d want the dead one off & gone. But feasibly yes it could.

Stick it over the top IMO, but not the same brand, nothing worse than repeating a mistake.

Very many thanks for the advice guys. It bothers me to leave the old panel there but not enough to pay for 8 hours labour that I've been told is needed to remove it!

I think a reliable rigid panel over the top of the old is probably the way to go.

8 hours labour!? A windscreen company could wire it off in 10 minutes. If you glue back down over the top, no need to remove all the old glue, just go over it.

cheese wire the old one off, toffee wheel to get rid of and big spots then re bond over.

8 hours labour!? A windscreen company could wire it off in 10 minutes. If you glue back down over the top, no need to remove all the old glue, just go over it.
Yep, that's what they advised, based on their recent experience of having removed another failed panel like mine

Now just had a strip panel just put on and the converter from Glossop said there has to be a 3mm gap between the panel and roof

Reactions: CAB
I’ve got a bonded panel directly stuck to the Reflex Silver Reimo roof. It’s almost 5 years old and no issues.
I checked the roof temperature on one of the hottest days last summer and it wasn’t even warm, I suspect that the surface temperature is a significant factor affecting reliability.

I'm in Spain and have had a motorhome with panel stuck to roof direct, it never failed in 6 years of use before selling.
Our current camper T6 I fitted same make of panel 3 years ago and expect to get same usage from it. I have stated before on the forum buy cheap buy twice.............

Mine also failed under warranty, as far as I’m aware the installers used a device similar to a wire cheese cutter to slice through the bonding agent.

Back