Euro 5 - 6 speed vs Euro 6 - 5 speed

No it isn't.
Yes some will need DSG for the reasons you allude to; if you think for one second I'm having a go at that group of people, you really are seriously misguided. But that is not only irrelevant to this discussion, it's also a cheap shot to try and win an argument.

You're a strange chap - you seem angry about everything but with no real focus. Sort of like an out of control machine gun firing shots all over the place rather than a well handled sniper rifle.

You've foxed many of us with your random rants - are you just ranting for the sake of ranting? Good to see your Dad "liking" your posts though....
@Polzeylad I like many posts and I judge each post on its merits. If I believe a post is making a valid point that I wish to endorse it will get a "Like" and if I may feel that I have something to add then I will do so. There are many of @T6 Dave's posts that I have "Liked" but not endorsed because of the potential of comments such as that in your last sentence which calls my judgement into question by imputation. If you did not mean that as a snide comment then I apologise. Please don't leave remarks open to misinterpretation.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that @mhill , that's why I like the thought of paddles on the wheel, but I will see how the future goes.. Still using a manual whilst I can.

Sorry to hear that @mhill , that's why I like the thought of paddles on the wheel, but I will see how the future goes.. Still using a manual whilst I can.

These things happen at sea!

Only things that really affect me with it is manual transition & riding a bike so I'll live.

The huge upside is that the only 4x4 auto that's commercial with 5 useable seats for P11d purposes is a T6!

I can drive a manual, but it causes me a lot of pain and discomfort after a accident in a Lifeboat about 8 years ago.

I'm with you totally but I'm approaching 30 with haste & discrace!
Ah but remember that us half way to 60!

@Polzeylad I like many posts and I judge each post on its merits. If I believe a post is making a valid point that I wish to endorse it will get a "Like" and if I may feel that I have something to add then I will do so. There are many of @T6 Dave's posts that I have "Liked" but not endorsed because of the potential of comments such as that in your last sentence which calls my judgement into question by imputation. If you did not mean that as a snide comment then I apologise. Please don't leave remarks open to misinterpretation.

You seem a lot more level headed than Dave Jnr on this forum; it's slightly odd that you don't have a T6 and aren't getting one but you generally seem to chip in with some sensible comments. My remark was simply an observation. The whole son/dad dynamic is quite unusual on a forum - I tend to "like" most things my son does because... he's my son.

@mhill - nope, I simply speak my mind. Can't be bothered with pussyfooting around trying to please everyone.

The BM has paddles - they rarely get used.

My first 6 speed box was an Outlander wich had the VW lump & box in, fount it really good and I could use all the gears localy. When we got the T5 that also had the 6 speed box and my wife drove that most of the time but with the 5 cylinders useing all the gears was no problem. What I have found with my new one is that localy I can only use 5 gears, the sixth is no use till you hit 5o or 55 so as far as I can see it will only be of any use in long flat roads or dual carrage ways. The lump does not feel as though it has as much torque as the old one either even though it does go like a rocket. I might add I have never driven a DSG but as it's an auto I'm really not keen on them no matter if it does have paddles on the steering wheel, the only similar box I drove like that was a Honda Jazz and I thought it was ruibbish. I have heard more bad stories about DSG than good ones so I'll stick to the manual option.

Remember...... DSG you can PADDLE SHIFT!! So, auto, semi, and paddle! Best of everything! Auto box sport mode with paddle is FUN, and shifts gears quicker than manual!
No it's an Auto the van only has two peddles no mater what you say and you will never convince me any other way.

No it's an Auto the van only has two peddles no mater what you say and you will never convince me any other way.
Technically it's a semi auto because it has clutches which are pre-selected by the vehicle. Quite a few manufacturers use them but very few seem to get them right. The Merc version is dire, the BMW one is too brutal and so on. Even Porsche's PDK box has issues.
I like good (only very recent) auto boxes and good manuals. I've yet to try a semi auto I like and I've tried a few.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1926 Lanchester with a pre-select gearbox - and before anybody asks, NO I didnt buy it new. Magic system with a gear selector on the steering column and a gear shift pedal in place of the clutch pedal. It worked by pre-selecting a gear and only effecting the change when ready. It meant that the driver always had both hands on the steering wheel at all times when in motion. Very smooth drive too.

@Roadrunner I didn't say it was a new but you may guage when I bought it as it cost me £5.00. My first new car many years later was a Renault 16. Wish .that I still had them both.

Last edited:
Back