Leaving stood/unused for 5 months, parked on an incline

Lewi5

Hi all. I am going overseas for 5 months from Feb until July. Unfortunately, I am going to have to leave my 2016 T28 T6 stood/unused during this time. It is going to have to be left on a driveway that has a circa 6° incline. The van will be empty. Not ideal at all, but my options are limited. I have some questions about it being stood for this period of time on the wonk please:

1. How would it be best parked in this situation? Reverse on to drive, use chocks in front of front wheels and leave in reverse gear? If recommended, any pointers on the best way to use chocks?

2. Does anyone have any general advice on how it should be left to reduce issues?

3. I read about keeping a full tank of fuel to avoid condensation in the tank. Is this right?

4. Is tyre pressure important?

5. I was considering covering it, but I’m thinking that this may be a bit risky on the blackberry paintwork, with the driveway being exposed to wind?

6. What issues am I likely to come back to?

Or is this situation absolutely a no-go? Apologies for all the questions, I'm clueless as you can probably tell! Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks, Lewis

I would:

Make sure it is secure from theft as far as you can.
Inflate the tyres to the max pressures recommended by VW - they will lose some pressure over that period.
Don’t worry about fuel levels.
Disconnect the battery - the van will flatten it over that period.
Check your insurance - disconnecting the battery will disable the alarm. Consider a wheel clamp.
Don‘t cover it.
Put it in gear if it’s a manual. P if it’s automatic. I would be happy to leave the handbrake on if it gets parked in dry weather.
Charge the battery fully when you get back before you reconnect it.

Pete

Definitely don’t use the handbrake. Leave it in gear and for belt & braces chock the wheels.
I also wouldn’t cover it having had the paint rubbed of motorbikes in the past due to flapping covers in the wind.
If you can’t put the battery on maintenance charge while it is in the van, then take it out and leave it in the house on maintenance charge (or at least disconnect it to prevent any drain).
When you come back, you might find that the brakes are a bit graunchy until the rust has been cleaned off (they might even have stuck on slightly), and the tyre pressures may have dropped a bit, but nothing to worry about.

I would also consider a solar trickle charger, you can get some that sit in the windscreen and plug into the cigarette lighter to keep a charge in the main battery. There was a thread on here about it , would be worth a search.

I might also consider some of the crystal dehumidifier boxes you can get and put a few of those in there. Last thing you want is any damp or mold growing as it wont be getting and fresh air.

Check your insurance - disconnecting the battery will disable the alarm. Consider a wheel clamp.
Rather than disconnect the battery, can you leave a smart charger connected to it? This will maintain the battery and still keep the alarm functioning.

I would:

Make sure it is secure from theft as far as you can.
Inflate the tyres to the max pressures recommended by VW - they will lose some pressure over that period.
Don’t worry about fuel levels.
Don‘t cover it.
Put it in gear if it’s a manual. P if it’s automatic. I would be happy to leave the handbrake on if it gets parked in dry weather.
Charge the battery fully when you get back before you reconnect it.

Pete
Pete - I'm interested in your tip to not cover it. I will have mine on my drive but under a whopping lime tree that drops treacle like sticky residue all summer long. Was planning on covering the van when not in use. Would that be a problem if using regularly?

Pete - I'm interested in your tip to not cover it. I will have mine on my drive but under a whopping lime tree that drops treacle like sticky residue all summer long. Was planning on covering the van when not in use. Would that be a problem if using regularly?
@Tourershine will clarify, but I think the issue with covers is that the vehicle needs to be spotlessly clean beforehand otherwise the fabric will run the dirt in, marring the paintwork. So, if you can guarantee you’ll wash your van before covering it - like @Lewi5 could do here - you’re good.

Thank you for your helpful replies. It really is appreciated.

I have purchased some chocks and will use with tyres inflated to the maximum recommended pressure. Hopefully flat spots will sort themselves out on my return.

I will reverse up the incline, chock the front wheels and leave in reverse gear. Handbrake off. No cover due to wind exposure. I have also bought some dehumidifier boxes and means of extra security.

Any comments on the above or further suggestions would be gratefully received.

I also really like the suggestions of a solar starter battery maintainer so that the alarm is not disabled. I have read a number of posts on the forum about these, as well as DellMassive’s fantastic ‘How I done it’ blogs. You will have to forgive me, but unfortunately what I have read is a little above my pay grade – I need an idiot’s guide... The simplicity of a solar panel on the dash, plugged into the 12v starter battery socket sounds great. I have read that I will probably need a panel of around 100w to counteract the sun blocking properties of the windscreen. If anyone could recommend a complete kit or a selection of products that would be suitable, I would be very grateful.

A mains charger on a timer set to run for say, 5 hours every 2 weeks, would be an alternative to a solar panel in the windscreen. So long as you have access to a plug socket.

Last edited:
Definitely don’t use the handbrake. Leave it in gear and for belt & braces chock the wheels.
I also wouldn’t cover it having had the paint rubbed of motorbikes in the past due to flapping covers in the wind.
If you can’t put the battery on maintenance charge while it is in the van, then take it out and leave it in the house on maintenance charge (or at least disconnect it to prevent any drain).
When you come back, you might find that the brakes are a bit graunchy until the rust has been cleaned off (they might even have stuck on slightly), and the tyre pressures may have dropped a bit, but nothing to worry about.
Only for my education, what’s the issue with leaving handbrake on folks?

Only for my education, what’s the issue with leaving handbrake on folks?
The damp seeps into and around the brake linings and then corrosion sets in on the braking surface. If left for a long time this can bond the brake linings to the surface.

At best it makes the brakes hard to release, at worst it can cause the linings to separate and remain on the braking surface which if you then move the van can cause all sorts of issues.

I would personally take the van to storage.
The damage you can possibly make to the van leaving it outside for 5 months is not worth the risk.
3/400 pounds to keep it safe and dry is a good investment. Leaving it outside on your driveway will also attract interest of certain types of people.
Years ago I have left my Saab 900 parked in a safe private property for at least 4/5 months.
When I went back to collect it 2 callipers were seized, hand brake stuck, battery flat, bird poop damaged the bodywork here and there.
Lessons learnt…

Back