Euro 5 - 6 speed vs Euro 6 - 5 speed

stamar

Hi all
Looking to buy a T6 but just need clarification on the 5 speed & 6 speed gearboxes.
Is 5th gear on the 5 speed box about the same final gear ratio as 6th n the 6 speed.
Do not want the van to be over revving during motorway miles.
Any advice appreciated.

Hi I went dsg but the lads on here do recommend the 6 speed box it copes better with the power and if you ever decided to remap the 6 speed would cope easy

I had a 5 speed t5.1 and now have a 6 speed t6.

From a driving point of view on a stock van the 5 speed was better. The gear ratios was much better for its power band.
However once remapped the 5 speed showed it's flaws. It can't handle the torque so it had to be limited. And the diff inside it is very weak. The diff is spot welded and mine failed. Like most 5 speed vags do.

I'm not used to 6 speed gearboxes so I find 6 gears difficult. Below 60mph it stays in 5th gear and it's in the power band and I actually get more economy. Above 60 the 6th gear really comes into its own.

I plan to get my t6 remapped soon so I can really compare 5 to 6 both stock and remapped.

From reliability and future proof point of view for me it's 6 speed all the way.

On a side note. I never liked dsg. I tested it and it sucked absolute balls. Compared to a good manual it's slow and unresponsive and no enjoyment. But easy to use.

I had a 5 speed t5.1 and now have a 6 speed t6.

From a driving point of view on a stock van the 5 speed was better. The gear ratios was much better for its power band.
However once remapped the 5 speed showed it's flaws. It can't handle the torque so it had to be limited. And the diff inside it is very weak. The diff is spot welded and mine failed. Like most 5 speed vags do.

I'm not used to 6 speed gearboxes so I find 6 gears difficult. Below 60mph it stays in 5th gear and it's in the power band and I actually get more economy. Above 60 the 6th gear really comes into its own.

I plan to get my t6 remapped soon so I can really compare 5 to 6 both stock and remapped.

From reliability and future proof point of view for me it's 6 speed all the way.

On a side note. I never liked dsg. I tested it and it sucked absolute balls. Compared to a good manual it's slow and unresponsive and no enjoyment. But easy to use.
I wish I had gone for a manual ( will do on my next )and I can relate to it being slow and unresponsive and abit boring to drive until the engine lossen up mine is coming up to 3000 miles and coming to life now just glad I went for the 180 4motion and I will be remaping

6 speed manual here too. 1st feels very short but I think that's normal for vans.

Love my 6 speed manual, always in the right gear for the situation. Haven't had a five speed box in years.

I had a 5 speed caddy on load and haven't driven a 5 speed diesel for year . The gears have big gaps between them so you can find yourself waiting for the engine to pickup and the need to change down a lot more .
If you run empty most of the time then you should find it ok but put some weight in it and it will drive you mad . I was thinking of going for the DSG but with the great 6 speed box on these transporters and a light clutch the manual is great to drive . I had a transit custom before and the gears radios on that were a nightmare . I think using 5 speed boxes is a VW thing as they just want you to upgrade to the 6 speed bhp vans and can't map up the lower bhp to save money . A lot of transit custom drivers just get the lower hp and map them . Even my local ford dealer mapped there van to save money .

I've got the DSG 7speed wouldn't swap it for the world 7 months old and done 9000 mls already fantastic van.

I've got the DSG 7speed wouldn't swap it for the world 7 months old and done 9000 mls already fantastic van.
Totally agree with the DSG , had a six speed before and will never go back . But the DSG in sports mode and is far better than a manual , by the way it's been mapped .

Come on chaps the thread is about 5/6 speed boxes not banging on about bloody DSG (which some of us REALLY don't like).

Hi @stamar I would always go for the 6-speed box for its better gear ratio spacing that allow you to use the engine torque over a narrower rev range and will tend to be slightly more economical. I have driven 5 and 6 speed non-VW vans and there is always one ratio spacing on a 5-speed that is too large and it can sometimes feel on the open road that it needs one more. The 6-speed is more amenable to driving in traffic and you will soon get used to which gear gives the best flexibility in traffic in 30 or 40mph zones and top is a lower rev cruise.

Hi all
Looking to buy a T6 but just need clarification on the 5 speed & 6 speed gearboxes.
Is 5th gear on the 5 speed box about the same final gear ratio as 6th n the 6 speed.
Do not want the van to be over revving during motorway miles.
Any advice appreciated.

I recently had a 5 speed 16 plate T5 as a courtesy van, so would assume same gear ratios as a 5 speed T6. I can confirm that 5th gear in the T5 was a shorter gear ratio than 6th gear in my T6- ie, 5 speed box revs higher than 6 gear in top for a given speed.

I had a 5 speed with the T5 always felt like it needed that extra gear on the motorways, maybe try and get down the local dealer and test drive both and then a dsg whilst your at it... just to annoy @Polzeylad

Remember...... DSG you can PADDLE SHIFT!! So, auto, semi, and paddle! Best of everything! Auto box sport mode with paddle is FUN, and shifts gears quicker than manual!

Remember...... DSG you can PADDLE SHIFT!! So, auto, semi, and paddle! Best of everything! Auto box sport mode with paddle is FUN, and shifts gears quicker than manual!
Totally agree Dave to much choice , a bit slower from a standing start but once your going it's miles quicker than a manual , would be better with launch control like my last R32 .

Back