110 5 speed vs 150 6 speed

Locko48

Hi, new to forum currently deciding between a 110 5 speed in ascot grey or a 150 6 speed in indium grey. I like both colours slightly prefer the ascot. I am going to be converting to a camper and just wondering if anyone has advice for which one to go for. Is one miles better than other/better resale or not too much of a deal and go for preference colour?

Both highline with tailgate and same mileage the 150bhp one is 2k more due to being 1 year newer.

My old T5 was a 102 ps and 5 speed. Had it for 13 years.
I originally remapped it to 140 and it drove fine.
Sat on the motorway at 80mm fine.
I once drove from Rochester in Kent to Holland then Belgium and got home and still had a weeks fuel left in it as it was so good on fuel.
The engine will be the same in both vans it’s just the gearbox will be different.
Good luck in whatever you choose :thumbsup:

Less power isn’t an issue when you get old like me. Cruise and enjoy the scenery. :p

Can you drive both and see which you prefer? I have a 150 and like the torque and 6 speed but many people are perfectly fine with the 110 etc. Much depends on the type and style of your driving. Probably more important is the max weight, are they both T28 or is one a T30 or 32? The higher gives more of a weight margin for your build and equipment.

I have a 21 plate 110bhp 5 speed box T28 Campervan . The 5th gear is very motorway/dual carriage way oriented in my opinion you spend more time in 3rd or 4th in normal driving particularly rolling roads with bends 5th is just too long. Torque isn’t dramatic either but sufficient enough though long climbs loaded require use of low gears earlier than other vehicles I have driven.

Round town and local A roads it’s ok but to get the best it needs the lower gears working which makes it a bit revvier. It goes along well and smooth enough . Economy is fine imo eg 460 miles this weekend to Devon A roads, urban and motorway for half of it used just over 3/4 tank.

I think if I had the choice between a manual 110bhp 5 speed and 150bhp 6 speed (price being equal) I would go for the 150 mostly because I would like a little more torque and better gear range , but if the 110 was in better nick I wouldn’t have an issue having one again, though in your case £2k more and year newer might sway it also especially with a cheeky offer ?. All being said we have discussed a remap between us to give it a bit of peppiness across the range, currently undecided as its been fine so far if honest we just cruise along at 65-70 on motorway which it’s fine with.

Last edited:
With the known weakness of the 5 speed gearbox it must be worth paying the extra 2K for the 6 speed 160ps alone.

Back