EGR cleaned but still having issues.

What engine exactly?

The cooling system needs to be manualy pressure tested on cold/hot engine.

That will show you where leak is.

Possibly via EGR cooler and ingested into engine when running.

sorry to jump in here, my T6 Velle has started losing coolant on a daily basis, having to top it up, AA did a pressure test today and said showing no fault, I suspected the EGR now not so sure, would the EGR leak show up on a pressure test

Replied to your PM.

How much coolant u loosing each day?

Miles driven?

The T6 EGR cooler / EGR valve assembly has fixed mounting points at both ends. I’ve seen plenty of tube bundle heat exchanger issues over the years because of this, it doesn’t allow for linear thermal expansion along the tube length. I've seen tube leakage and cracked mounting brackets due to thermal stress.
Industrial / maritime heat exchangers use brackets around the casing to allow the shell and tubes to expand.
Looks like it was designed to fail!

sorry to jump in here, my T6 Velle has started losing coolant on a daily basis, having to top it up, AA did a pressure test today and said showing no fault, I suspected the EGR now not so sure, would the EGR leak show up on a pressure test
I’m having the same issue with my Gen 6, which started just after lockdown. There are no signs of leaks & it’s pressure tested, which passed. The garage topped it up almost to the top of the expansion as we were just about to go to France. We’re now in France, having done about 400 miles & the coolant light has just come on. Checked the tank & it’s down below minimum. I noticed a small wet patch near the rear offside wheel on the way here, but it seemed to be just water. Is there a rear coolant fed heater in Caravelles? If it’s not that I’m thinking it the EGR cooler?

A wet patch behind the nearside wheel will most likely be condense drain from the aircon. There is also a diesel water heater in the wing though and could be leaking but you would see it first thing in the morning before you start.

Dropped my ‘velle at main dealer this morning
They’re saying it’s egr and it’s on back order
Sis going the same old Song as many others I think
ITa under warranty so they’ve got to provide me with a replacement vehicle, offered me a corsa which was naturally rejected so got to wait 2 days for something else

I’ve insisted on confirmation that in the event they change egr and it continues they will
Continue to honour the warranty

have been advised it is likely to continue and will
Eventually need a new engine

Try holding a clean, dry sheet of A4 paper against the exhaust with the engine revving, if there is water in the exhaust it should leave a deposit on the paper.

Try holding a clean, dry sheet of A4 paper against the exhaust with the engine revving, if there is water in the exhaust it should leave a deposit on the paper.
And if that is the case ? Sorry I can drive it 25 hours a day 8 days per week but I’m not a mechanic of any sorts

And if that is the case ? Sorry I can drive it 25 hours a day 8 days per week but I’m not a mechanic of any sorts
Looks like VW are taking care of your van anyway. It’s an indication that coolant is passing through the engine, normally a good way to spot a leaking head gasket but also any other internal coolant leak such as the EGR valve or EGR cooler. The bigger the leak the easier it is too find.

Thanks, was intrigued to understand
I’m not overly confident that VW are doing me right, far too many horror stories to instil confidence in owners now

If you watch this guys vlogs, he is doing up a T5, he is having a similar problem with the cooling system. The last vlog is where he is having the head skimmed so no results as yet to a cure. Interesting and worth a watch.

I’ve just put piece of paper under the exhaust whilst the engine was running & after a few minutes water started dripping out. I put my head down to have a closer look & got a whiff of hot coolant coming from the exhaust, so I’m definitely thinking it’s the EGR cooler. It’s out of warranty, so looks like it’s going to cost me a bit when we get home.

I’ve just put piece of paper under the exhaust whilst the engine was running & after a few minutes water started dripping out. I put my head down to have a closer look & got a whiff of hot coolant coming from the exhaust, so I’m definitely thinking it’s the EGR cooler. It’s out of warranty, so looks like it’s going to cost me a bit when we get home.
Oh no!! VW told me this morning that the egr is totally unavailable and on back order
If you can get your order in ASAP so at least it’s gonna get to you sooner rather than later
Where in Uk you based as in County

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately some of the coolant might be finding it’s way past the piston rings, keep a close eye on the oil dipstick and oil filler cap for emulsification or what some on here call ’mayo’. VW say it’s ‘normal‘ on the T6 filler cap, IMO I really don’t think it is.
I’d avoid driving it if possible as water / steam don’t do engine internals any good. Steam can damage the turbo blading on the exhaust side. I would certainly give it an oil and filter change.
As water has made it’s way into the cylinders make sure you turn the engine over every few days to prevent rusting piston rings.

I'm having same problem, suspect egr cooler. Ordered the genuine vw part from poland via eBay Screenshot_20200730-213040_eBay.jpgfor 345 Inc vat and delivery. Hopefully changing today

So.. VW who were going to get it done today say the whole front of the van is off so as to fit this thing, they’re running out of time so expect it to be finished but not tested until Monday
Said it is a huge job, I’m thinking more like not even started it, but hey ho

So.. VW who were going to get it done today say the whole front of the van is off so as to fit this thing, they’re running out of time so expect it to be finished but not tested until Monday
Said it is a huge job, I’m thinking more like not even started it, but hey ho
I suprised they didn’t give you an accurate time estimate, they must have done plenty of them before.

I suprised they didn’t give you an accurate time estimate, they must have done plenty of them before.
I was hoping the same, guessing it’s being done amongst other things going on or probably not even looked at it today

The front does not need to come off for that job!

Back