EGR flush RESULT…….

Sweet getting mine replaced tomorrow hope it helps with all the adblue faults aswell sick of the thing not even had it aonth

I reckon it will. I’ve had my new egr in since feb and dare I say it it’s been running fine since

Mines in for a flush on the 20th, I have the extended warranty so if the flush doesn’t fix it (not expecting it to) I will push for a new EGR, good to hear you got yours done out of warranty- it’s clearly a design flaw, VW should do more for customers
So I’m away in the van exploring the Cotswolds, the van is booked in to have the EML looked at on the 20th, expecting an EGR flush, however today the light went out whilst driving. Anyone know if these things reset themselves or could the blast up the M40 cleared a blockage and will VW still see that the light was on when I take it in and they scan it? I don’t want them to say there’s no problem when the lights been on for a month or so.

if these things reset themselves
Yes, they do - and fade away. Some details here:

Just had an erg flush, pdf regen and glow plug number 3 replaced under the extended warranty- like @Deaky they replaced the front and back pipes that go into the erg unit thing, let’s see how long the eml stays off

posting this to help other & show what VW do to flush the EGR and replace the pipe with an updated pipe design:

aug 2020: After a few hundred mile drive to my holiday destination, followed by some local one hour drives the Engine management light came on, call VW Assist who sent out an AA patrol.

AA guy reset the engine management light, but said it would come back on (the engine management light did come back on during the next drive)

However the AA guy said that VW have supplied the AA with machines to flush the build up of exhaust sludge from the system.
He asked if I wanted to get it fixed whilst I was at the campsite?

Obviously I accepted his offer, several days later ( after Bank holiday) another AA patrol attended my vehicle, he had a machine with him, long story short, the existing EGR pipe was removed the EGR valve was fitted with a device to hold it open, the machine was connected to the engine and a valve was connected to my vans exhaust, the AA man added a chemical to two 10L water drums, which were attached to the machine. My van was started, the machine was started and the flush process commenced.

The AA man went to his van, got a band new “modified “ EGR pipe

The modified (brand new) pipe has a slot in the top of the tube, the old pipe has two holes in the end.

He also pulled out several old type design, used but cleaned up, which presumably they fit at the road side when the machine is not available.

On inspection, the old EGR pipe has quite a lot of soft black tar in the end where the holes were, the holes were partially blocked by the black gunk that was residing in the tube.
the black gunk is what causes the sensor to register “low flow“ rate and throw up the engine management light.

Whilst the machine carried out its job, flushing the EGR system, I spoke the AA man.
Who told me that the EGR low flow is a very common issue particularly on T6 vans, VW had recognised the “design fault” and had re-engineered the EGR pipe to change the design and prevent the issue.

VW have provided the AA with these machines and the modified VW EGR tube, so they can carry out the mod at the road side, saving on breakdown and recovery costs.

The AA guy told me that he is carrying out the work on behalf of VW ( and VW assist) the work is authorised by VW and is fully warranted by VW,

VW have widley acknowledged the issue and therefore provide the parts and equipment to the AA so they can carry out the remedial works.
The work will be registered by VW assist, presumably updating my vehicle records to show the updated EGR pipe has been supplied and fitted.

The whole process, including me chatting to the AA man (so slowing him up) took about an hour !
The part, IMO would be £20, the 2 litres of chemical. !

IMO, the dealer is having our pants down

My van is still in warranty, but I suggest if you get the low flow either contact VW assist if you are a member, if you are not a member, suggest you join, call vw assist and have a discussion regarding the above and having the remedial work carried out at your location, you may need to drive a few miles from your home to ensure the costs of recovery etc warrant the cost of VW assist authorising the work)
I have attached photos of the original EGR tube, the new modified design and the machine , chemical etc that the AA used. Note it was raining when the work was Gp arrived out that’s why there is water over everything.

8A60CEE6-F3AF-43AC-88AF-C5B65EB61648.jpeg

C670CF85-DE68-4E97-A782-B97829B55D64.jpeg

7ED5C90A-EF0D-48A4-8861-281BD3E9EDBF.jpeg

667A1F57-0F6B-40B4-8EC4-C82F8DCD03F5.jpeg

AD044BCF-109A-449E-A8D9-EE3A2B65DB5C.jpeg

E5883322-0127-4531-9CF6-37B6863287B6.jpeg

ED459C58-6927-4763-9D42-CBB331B57F17.jpeg

D7570F8A-2D98-43A0-B938-D93DD2E8D9C6.jpeg

8DDD70B6-B62F-4B23-B0E3-D48BF29B774C.jpeg

Forgot to Add the fault code for the above post: (may assist searches)

OBD port fault code:

VW fault code P040100 - Exhaust gas recirculation low flow rate

Sorry to jump in on this.
But I’m currently stuck waiting for the AA to arrive. I think my egr is stuck or blocked etc from the fault code.
I was wondering if it’s best I get a new egr and egr pipe etc? If I need to take it to the garage anyway?
The AA guy won’t do the pipe replace now or anything obviously. And it’s not under warranty anymore.

Thank you

Sorry to jump in on this.
But I’m currently stuck waiting for the AA to arrive. I think my egr is stuck or blocked etc from the fault code.
I was wondering if it’s best I get a new egr and egr pipe etc? If I need to take it to the garage anyway?
The AA guy won’t do the pipe replace now or anything obviously. And it’s not under warranty anymore.

Thank you
Out of warranty they won’t, unless it will save the cost of a recovery vehicle
me personally having seen the upgraded pipe, I would buy & fit the upgraded pipe, buy a Carista OBD tool and carry out a forced regen to two.
if that fails to fix the problem you may need to get the egr flushed or replace,
I would try the above before parting with my hard earned at a dealers for the flush, others have said it is £450 ( EGR £900+)

Thought I would jump on here to give an update on my EGR drama/ succesful outcome.

My engine management light came on about 2 weeks ago, had a friend run a diagnostic for me which said the EGR cooler efficient was below threshold.

Took it to the local VW van centre today where they advised they would do a flush of the egr for free as 'goodwill'.
Recieved a phonecall later in the afternoon to say the flush was unsuccessful and that a new EGR would be required. *que sinking feeling in chest*
Fortunately he said this would all be covered under warranty, so would be of no cost to me!

My van is a 2017 T32 204ps, DSG with 44k mileage for context.

Pick it up tomorrow morning with a shiney new EGR and a hopefully warning light free dash.

its not just the pipes its whats inside the egr valve, when i took mine apart and cleaned it there no way that a flush could get the built up crap out from the inside out fully

not to mention the correct movement of the valve itself,

a flush might just be a temp fix, which probably gets the loose gunk out, but its going to keep recurring unless it replaced or cleaned fully, this is why poeple need lots of flushes

Thought I would jump on here to give an update on my EGR drama/ succesful outcome.

My engine management light came on about 2 weeks ago, had a friend run a diagnostic for me which said the EGR cooler efficient was below threshold.

Took it to the local VW van centre today where they advised they would do a flush of the egr for free as 'goodwill'.
Recieved a phonecall later in the afternoon to say the flush was unsuccessful and that a new EGR would be required. *que sinking feeling in chest*
Fortunately he said this would all be covered under warranty, so would be of no cost to me!

My van is a 2017 T32 204ps, DSG with 44k mileage for context.

Pick it up tomorrow morning with a shiney new EGR and a hopefully warning light free dash.
I have a 2017 (67) 204ps DSG, 4Motion, Ocean, 41,000 miles. We had the EML appear 1,000 miles into a drive to Corfu a few weeks ago.
We took it into a VW garage in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, France, they cleared the fault and (we discovered a day later had taken the cigarette lighter torch, £80 to replace!) suggested we drive at 2,000 rpm for 40 minutes to reset the system. This equates to 70 mph in 7th which is what we had being doing for hundreds of miles. Needless to say the light came back on, then off again, on again, off again and finally remained on for the last four days of a 4,600 mile drive back through France.
I booked it in immediately to VW Kettering at 8.15 am (where I am still sitting 12.14 pm) who say it needs a flush and have ordered the parts for later today somewhere around 5.00 pm (I’ll wait). Luckily the van has an extended warranty so if the flush isn’t successful (2 needed before they will replace the parts) it should be covered.
The extended warranty has been very useful, lots of bits replaced to date.

Update, finally left VW Kettering at 5.00 pm having been there since 8.15 am. The EGR having had one flush, not successful, so undergoing flush number two. According to the service lady this only counts as one flush because two would require a new EGR (not entirely convinced of the logic here).
Drove home in an UP, while the van remains in the workshop.

Glass sort of half ish full!

I’ve just had my EGR cooler replaced as a gesture of goodwill at VW Preston.
Van Is 4 years 9 months & done 23.5k.
EML light and carista codes P0401, P20EE
Had it flushed under warranty a couple of years ago at Manchester.
Was ringing around for quotes on EGR replacement before reading this thread.
Instead took it to Preston for EML light diagnosis and mentioned examples of VW going this out of warranty.
Faultless service from Preston VW.
Thanks all on here for the heads up, saved me £££!

Back