EGR cleaned but still having issues.

I had a leaking front pipe, and the cooling channels were partially clogged with soot.

Without opening, I can’t confirm, but it stopped my engine light and AdBlue faults. May be that I went overkill and could’ve got away with just the front pipe, but hey ho.

I had the same adblue fault. There is a firmware upgrade for this now but I think it is a main dealer only option but should be done for free.

I'm not convinced there will ever be a fix for the egr/cooler issue. I have on good authority that engine oil is one of the main contributors to the sooting up of the egr/cooler.

I have been advised by a fuel expert to try a Ester based oil such as Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Any thoughts?

I had the same adblue fault. There is a firmware upgrade for this now but I think it is a main dealer only option but should be done for free.

I'm not convinced there will ever be a fix for the egr/cooler issue. I have on good authority that engine oil is one of the main contributors to the sooting up of the egr/cooler.

I have been advised by a fuel expert to try a Ester based oil such as Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Any thoughts?
IF oil is the major factor causing EGR fouling then it’s best to remove the oil with a separator tank positioned between the crankcase breather and the induction.
I’ve been using these for years on old cars and they work very well with some quick periodic draining, the bigger the tank the less frequent the draining.
Search ‘oil separator tank’ on Ebay, plenty of choice available and cheap. With some simple additional hose routing and a suitable location it’s a quick modification.
It will also reduce exhaust emissions and the van will have a cleaner charge air cooler / intercooler (dependent on engine code).
Note that if your vans oil level is not decreasing with use this is not going to help you as your van is not consuming oil.
If your vans oil level is decreasing it won’t help with a leaking turbo charger seal or damaged piston wiper rings.
It will significantly reduce the oil content of the crankcase vapour that is fed back into the induction system, all engines have some blow-by, turbo-charged engines will inevitably have more.

¿Alguien tiene una guía sobre cómo reemplazar la EGR? He buscado mucha documentación en la red pero no encuentro cómo hacerlo.

;)

Attachments

• 444 engine-cxeb-cxfa-cxga-cxgb-cxha-cxgc-cxhb-cxec-repair-manual-eng-301-400-71-100.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Interesting. I posed the same question back in June as that was my theory:

My other thought is that this causes a boost leak, which means it runs rich, which will create more soot and more regular regens.

Also, the EGR reduces combustion temperatures which in turn reduces NOx (same pollutant as Adblue reduces), so a poor EGR means the AdBlue has to work harder. My EGR leak used to sometimes manifest itself as an AdBlue fault as the NOx was out of tolerance.

They all seem to be related. :whistle:
Sorry to dig this up. I have posted about my issue in another thread but found this whilst doing some digging.

I had my EGR flushed on Thursday. Then had a juddering issue which they say is unrelated and now I have an engine management light on which when plugged in I’m told shows an issue with Ad blue. Not sure of the code though. They are adamant it’s nothing to do with the flush but now I’m thinking otherwise

Back