EGR cooler - supplier needed.

Churchy

VIP Member
Hi all,

Code P0401 and engine light on - have been to three garages and all suggest EGR / cooler need replacing…….again! Last one has lasted about 10k. Engine light has turned itself off twice over last month or so lastly after not driving the van for a week but returned about 100 miles into the first journey back in the van and I also had to top up the engine oil (0.5L) as that light came on at the same time (had oil change service just before Christmas and done around 1000miles since).

It’s booked in for tomorrow but the garage just called to say they can only get hold of one via a main dealer - as far as I know I haven’t won the lottery so can’t really afford to buy from them at circa £900 apparently!

Does anyone know of stock anywhere as apparently they re in short supply (probably because they are rubbish and everyone needs them replacing).

Any help greatly received as losing faith rapidly and thinking seriously about parting company with my ‘beloved’ van…..

2017 4motion DSG 86kmiles

Cheers
Churchy

AFF0CA94-EBFE-4A51-A5B5-43C31554A6DA.jpeg

Tried TPS?

EuroCP. Autdoc, etc?

If yours is only 10k miles old.

And assuming you do short journeys.......

Have you looked into having it flushed ?

10k seems short, that seems like it's being damaged and is a symptom of another fault, possibly the same one that's causing you to lose 0.5 litre of oil in 1000 miles (if that's not normal for your engine)?

Well at the beginning of last year it was using oil but then I haven’t had to top it up for 6 months or so until last weekend when I was driving from Bournemouth back to the Lakes. I did notice a bit of a weep around the oil cap so wondering if under pressure on the motorway it is coming from there?

I’m no mechanic really so at a bit of a loss. Going to go to garage in morning anyway and have a chat with them. Found a Pierburg egr and cooler on GSF but assuming the garage want to fit genuine which is why they can’t find any apart from at dealer.

Dellmassive - is a flush likely to be effective and if so how much roughly should I be paying for that?

Love the van but just want to get it properly sorted so I can get it up for sale with confidence.

Not sure.

I had two flushes under warranty..... Then a replacement.

No mention of cost.... But there was a mention of flow rate.

I'd imagine it to be a mobile service from the dpf clean guys.?

As per my luck the warranty is up by a few months plus the egr was fitted by a garage where we used to live in Wiltshire who were great but now we live in Cumbria it’s hard to find a ‘new’ garage from whom I get the same confidence from……

Recently bought one myself from local main dealer...around £600 for the complete EGR with cooler. I couldn't find anywhere cheaper at the time, most that come up online or at the likes of Euros are the T5.1s despite giving reg etc. Part number was 04L131512CF for the latest variation (the old one fitted was 04L131512T)

Recently bought one myself from local main dealer...around £600 for the complete EGR with cooler. I couldn't find anywhere cheaper at the time, most that come up online or at the likes of Euros are the T5.1s despite giving reg etc. Part number was 04L131512CF for the latest variation (the old one fitted was 04L131512T)
Thank you I’ll mention that to the garage when I speak to them again - the price they were telling me from the main dealer was as much for the part alone as I paid for the original parts and fitting the last time I had to replace it!

One on eBay item number 115008345994 £309 for cooler
I have use these guys before for parts excellent

Also replaced mine along with Egr valve from main dealer and I payed £550 maybe give your local vw van centre a ring for a price

Back