T6 Poor running, Inlet manifold oil and carbon build up

Birsey

Hi All
Long story and apologies for lack of concise info. Got a 2017 T6 Sportline with 60k miles. I have had it from 12 months old and for the past 3 years i have had unresolved issues of cutting out, excessive oil usage, wooly performance and poor mpg. Had it back many times in warranty and out but never sorted...always £200/300 bills with replacement pipes or valves, fuel additives, no fault found etc. No fault codes were showing and i had this confirmed by another garage.
I took it to a friends garage about 6 months ago and he diagnosed EGR valve which was replaced and ran ok for a few weeks, then issues came back. Had Clutch and starter replaced at same time btw. Apparently the error codes were P040100 insufficient flow.
Anyway, friend has now stripped inlet manifold and as you can see from the pic, its a mess. He now wants to pull the engine out. Anyone got any experience of this carbon build up? Is something sinister going on in the engine or could it just be cleaned and put back together?
With regards to the vans history, its had a pampered life, well serviced with plenty of long runs and varied driving.
Any advice much appreciated.

RF17PWK.jpg

Hi DXX
I presume to find the root cause of the issue. Maybe turbos or valves...I'm guessing. Reading other threads, removing the inlet manifold doesn't sound like a big job but on mine the front end is well stripped and cambelt is off. Should i be worried?
Cheers
Chris

RF17PWK_2.jpg

Another 204PS, the casualty list is growing.
No point in worrying it is what is. I have to say that if I had a vehicle with constant issues it would be straight into Autotrader. If I was spending out on a regular basis without results I certainly wouldn’t be going back to the same mechanic either.
I’m a little surprised that the engine is being dismantled before doing an oil analysis and compression test (in that order), you could have saved yourself a lot of time and money if the bores / pistons are damaged as it’s probably cheaper to exchange a short engine. Those two relatively quick and cheap tests would have provided a lot of information.

Im in the same issue , just replaced it today hopefully will resolve the limp mode
Hi All
Long story and apologies for lack of concise info. Got a 2017 T6 Sportline with 60k miles. I have had it from 12 months old and for the past 3 years i have had unresolved issues of cutting out, excessive oil usage, wooly performance and poor mpg. Had it back many times in warranty and out but never sorted...always £200/300 bills with replacement pipes or valves, fuel additives, no fault found etc. No fault codes were showing and i had this confirmed by another garage.
I took it to a friends garage about 6 months ago and he diagnosed EGR valve which was replaced and ran ok for a few weeks, then issues came back. Had Clutch and starter replaced at same time btw. Apparently the error codes were P040100 insufficient flow.
Anyway, friend has now stripped inlet manifold and as you can see from the pic, its a mess. He now wants to pull the engine out. Anyone got any experience of this carbon build up? Is something sinister going on in the engine or could it just be cleaned and put back together?
With regards to the vans history, its had a pampered life, well serviced with plenty of long runs and varied driving.
Any advice much appreciated.

View attachment 201593

TRANSPORTER T32 LWB DIESEL 2.0 TDI BMT 150 Highline Kombi Van 4MOTION - 2017 94k miles

Hello! I have a horrid sinking feeling that this is happening to my van….

While in Scotland we had recovery out and the diagnostics showed a P2279 fault. The other image shows a healthy sensor L and my sensor R…. Independent mechanic says manifold full of this too and warned me that a proper clean out would mean a lengthy disassembly job. He has cleaned the sensor and replaced it and at present the van is on the road without the flashing glow plug light of doom and not going into limp mode like it was. But for how long ?

He has mentioned that some garages do TerraClean but I am somewhat sceptical that this would make any difference. Has anyone had any positive results from this treatment for this problem?

Thanks in advance :)

71684364651__3F1BDE98-ED96-4A27-BA0A-46D7BC557654.jpeg

IMG_4136.jpeg

Back