EGR flush RESULT…….

My EML light came on a few weeks ago, van had to lie dormant on drive until they had a booking slot, diagnosed yesterday at dealer new EGR cooler required! they have offered 50% goodwill, i am pushing for 100% as others have received, van is 2017 T32 204 DSG 50kmiles FSH.
Just wondering if there is any coincidence between EGR pipe splits (mine went in December 2021 and was replaced at dealer) and then subsequently EGR valve / cooler failing, as assuming pipe split would negatively effect designed gas flow for some time before pipe repair?
Anyway looking at half of £1224.39 + Vat bill currently, although EGR coolers are on backorder (raised eyebrow of suspicion!)... fingers crossed the chap at VWCS can do a deal with dealership!
Service advisor also wasn't sure if it was safe to drive whilst i await the backorder EGR cooler....

Reactions: CAB
My light comes on only when it's cold for some reason. A test of the egr valve showed it doesn't fully reach the end stops so its gunked up. Replacement costs are about £1700. I looked for spares online and all the parts suppliers Inc refurbished units have been out of stock for months. Luckily yesterday I found a place in that had 1 unit arriving in 3 days for £250 .. they used to be £170! As I'm out of the warranty period I will do it myself.

Does anyone know whether these EGR issues still plague newer, T6.1 vans, or have VW resolved (or at least improved) the situation with their redesigned EGR tube?

Given their track-record with leaky windows, I suspect I know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone know whether these EGR issues still plague newer, T6.1 vans, or have VW resolved (or at least improved) the situation with their redesigned EGR tube?

Given their track-record with leaky windows, I suspect I know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.
I'd guess that the cracking EGR tube and the blocked EGR cooler/valve are unrelated.

Had mine replaced in May ,the light came on yesterday! No short journeys as such lots of duel and motorway trips . I have to go to either Bilston or Wrexham for a flush both are over 30 miles .
Has anyone had a carbon clean ext and had any luck ?

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Currently sitting at SMG cowfold (VW) waiting for diagnostics to be completed. Had my egr replaced June last year, same fault code appeared last week. Was adviced by vantech in Uckfield (quality service) that parts have 2 year warranty and VW should replace it, after he diagnosed the issues.

The guy at VW at the desk this morning already said I bet it's not the egr valve probably needs a flush.

Will see how this pans out. Ideally don't wanna drop another £1k+ on a new egr.

Update:

Back pipe to egr cracked, recommends replacing that and do a flush, but he was near £550 to do both, even though the part is under warranty.

Update:
Had the backpipe replaced, under advice from the mechanic the readings in the emmissons for the egr were just about the threshold, 0.36 my van was reading 0.56 probably wouldn't need a flush after replacing the pipe.

Just drove 20/25 miles home and the eml light came back on. Will probably need to return for a £260 flush

Update:
Had the backpipe replaced, under advice from the mechanic the readings in the emmissons for the egr were just about the threshold, 0.36 my van was reading 0.56 probably wouldn't need a flush after replacing the pipe.

Just drove 20/25 miles home and the eml light came back on. Will probably need to return for a £260 flush
Get it coded out

To share a positive experience...

I have had EGR insufficient flow problems on the van (2 flushes whilst under warranty) and recently Engine Management Light came on just before it was going in for a service at a local garage (year 4, so cam belt change - 2018 Highline, 102BHP, 34k). The mechanic explained the EGR problem - similar to everyone else - and likely cost. He suggested if I didn't want to pay him a 4-figure sum to do it I could try asking the dealer for a Goodwill gesture (he'd researched the background of modifications etc that VW have been doing before giving me the keys back).

Booked it into VW commercials Aberdeen (John Clark) apprehensively as it was £195 just to plug it in. I went armed with this thread, a full scan from my mechanic and the knowledge of 2 previous warranty flushes.

After they'd looked at it and asked about my driving style (34k total, 10k last year, mixed journeys, some dual carriageway, not much motorway). they suggested 2 flushes (because the flow rate was so badly impeded) at a cost of £800. We had a full and frank discussion about the EGR and eventually they were persuaded to ask VW for a goodwill replacement. Unfortunately it seems that VW needs a vehicle to fail on insufficient flow 3 times before they will replace the EGR under goodwill. So they said they would flush it and see if it still failed... so it might still cost £800.

With wallet firmly clenched between cheeks I waited for the verdict.

Eventually I came away with a double flushed EGR but no bill - they even cleaned the bodywork! Not to be too cynical here, but the dealership is going to claim those flushes back from VW so I guess it was not so much generosity as good business. I will be looking for a replacement if this 'fix' is only temporary, now that it's had more than the 3 mandatory flushes (does that make it a Royal Flush?).

So that was a great result but, without the back-up of this forum and my local garage, I doubt it would have been offered as a goodwill - you know how things are always the driver's fault... I kind of 'saved' £1000, so for anyone else in a similar situation it's well worth the 'discussion' even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

Hold your nerve. Keep the tone level. Thank Forum for that!

To share a positive experience...

I have had EGR insufficient flow problems on the van (2 flushes whilst under warranty) and recently Engine Management Light came on just before it was going in for a service at a local garage (year 4, so cam belt change - 2018 Highline, 102BHP, 34k). The mechanic explained the EGR problem - similar to everyone else - and likely cost. He suggested if I didn't want to pay him a 4-figure sum to do it I could try asking the dealer for a Goodwill gesture (he'd researched the background of modifications etc that VW have been doing before giving me the keys back).

Booked it into VW commercials Aberdeen (John Clark) apprehensively as it was £195 just to plug it in. I went armed with this thread, a full scan from my mechanic and the knowledge of 2 previous warranty flushes.

After they'd looked at it and asked about my driving style (34k total, 10k last year, mixed journeys, some dual carriageway, not much motorway). they suggested 2 flushes (because the flow rate was so badly impeded) at a cost of £800. We had a full and frank discussion about the EGR and eventually they were persuaded to ask VW for a goodwill replacement. Unfortunately it seems that VW needs a vehicle to fail on insufficient flow 3 times before they will replace the EGR under goodwill. So they said they would flush it and see if it still failed... so it might still cost £800.

With wallet firmly clenched between cheeks I waited for the verdict.

Eventually I came away with a double flushed EGR but no bill - they even cleaned the bodywork! Not to be too cynical here, but the dealership is going to claim those flushes back from VW so I guess it was not so much generosity as good business. I will be looking for a replacement if this 'fix' is only temporary, now that it's had more than the 3 mandatory flushes (does that make it a Royal Flush?).

So that was a great result but, without the back-up of this forum and my local garage, I doubt it would have been offered as a goodwill - you know how things are always the driver's fault... I kind of 'saved' £1000, so for anyone else in a similar situation it's well worth the 'discussion' even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

Hold your nerve. Keep the tone level. Thank Forum for that!
You were overdue a good customer care experience from someone!

You were overdue a good customer care experience from someone!
I got one from Vanmax with the replacement roof, to be fair, but yes it like felt a bit of Karma credit being used up.

And most of us are not as quick to raise a compliment as a complaint, so thought it would be good to do so :)

Hi all, I went to Bognor Motors on Saturday for a suspension check and a Revo remap. They checked for fault codes first and said the EGR low flow code was coming up. I've not had any EML warnings though. I've plugged in Carista and it comes up with a different code but a Google search says the same issue. I cleared it and it's still on. Again no EML. My question is should I get it looked at or even take it to VW to see if they'll do anything before something bad happens? Or will they not help as the light isn't on? It is out of warranty, 2016 but only on 36k and I bought it from the local VW garage 2 years ago on 26k.

Back