Short honeymoon - egr issue?

Longers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hmmm… only had the van for a week. Loving it. But had an engine management light come on last night grr!

It’s a 66 plate 150 ex RAC van with 124k.

Was driving great, had a couple of motorway runs on Saturday, about 40 miles each. Then down to Taunton and back yesterday, about 40 miles each way. Drove down fine but then on return drive noticed the orange engine management/emissions light was on. Still drove absolutely fine, no noises, smoke or loss of power or anything, just the light. Stopped and started a few times when I got back and the light stayed on.

Ordered a carista so am waiting for that to arrive today but reading here and elsewhere I’m guessing it’s the egr. Anything to check or hints etc while I’m waiting?

Will see what the code reader says, but even if not egr I’m tempted to replace the egr anyway as it looks pretty common issue at that mileage. Will also give the garage I bought it from a call, they put a 3 month warranty on it but doubt they will cover egr issues - worth a try though as only picked it up on Tuesday last week.

Any good how to’s out there for egr replacement. Also will replace the pipes as well. Fun fun - was a short honeymoon for the van!

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Couple of pictures, engine code and also, under oil filler white gunk doesn’t look good!

71ADB129-D544-4C95-9F25-68F8CEC6E3DE.jpeg

F87F64DA-1444-4D64-85FA-E41B29521A96.jpeg

Yellow EML is normally emissions related.

Could the EGR flow warning, but you will need to scan for codes first.

Carista is a good start for code scans.

The EGR can be flushed in situ as a first thing VW do, then a second flush, then a replacement if it fails.

Just had mine done at 62k 5yrs.

Post in thread '@Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure' @Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

The white gunk in filler cap is normal.

If you only had it a week. And you have a warranty.

Take it back to them and ask them to sort it out.

Don't clear the codes.

A new EGR is £600-£1200.

A flush is £300-£400

So try them first.

“Also will replace the pipes as well.”

See post #28 shows the procedure, revised EGR pipe etc.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/egr-flush-result…….35618/page-2#post-498222

Edit: the white gunk under the filler suggests it’s been used for short runs recently, where the engine has not reached / maintained a normal operating temp for a sustained period (enough time / temp to remove the water from the oil, which is hygroscopic ) which will contribute to potential EGR problems

Last edited:
Called dealer that I bought it from. We’re super helpful. They scanned it, had two codes, one for the NOx sensor and another for glow plug module. They’ve booked it in for Wednesday for an auto electrician to diagnose and replace if necessary.

Proper surprised by the garage - good customer service does still exist! Glad it’s not egr - but may plan in for replacement later in the year anyway. Parts don’t look too bad and can fit myself.

Reactions: CAB
Glow plus and Nox sens,

Keep us posted.

And try to get as much information from them as possible.

Scan report.

Codes.

Parts replaced.

Etc.

When you get your Carista post those codes here as well.

Called dealer that I bought it from. We’re super helpful. They scanned it, had two codes, one for the NOx sensor and another for glow plug module. They’ve booked it in for Wednesday for an auto electrician to diagnose and replace if necessary.

Proper surprised by the garage - good customer service does still exist! Glad it’s not egr - but may plan in for replacement later in the year anyway. Parts don’t look too bad and can fit myself.
When you get your van back running like it should stick something in https://www.t6forum.com/forums/review-a-business

Back