EGR flush RESULT…….

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
My van is 4 nd a half years old, 60k miles. Had a major service last week and a new cam belt. Couple of days before the service the engine management light came on. When I dropped it in I asked him if I could take a look at it only to be told by charged £125 for diagnostics so I said I’d leave it and I hooked it up to the VCDS to see what the fault was. Turned out it was poor gas flow in the EGR, something that has plagued my van ever since I’ve had it. in the first three years of ownership it has required an EGR flush every six months but since I moved house and now commute 30 miles on the motorway into work it’s not needed one for the last 18 months. I thought the problem was just that I was doing short traffic jam queueing along journeys.

Anyway I had to suck up their £125 and booked it in for an EGR flush ok Monday. I had a phone call Monday afternoon asking me if I wanted the good or the bad news. The bad news was the EGR flush had not cured the problem and they were unable to clear the blockage. The good news was they were going to replace the whole EGR cooler and valve at no cost to myself covered by VW even though the van has been out of warranty for 18 months.

i’ve picked the van up today and there’s a few shiny new parts bolted to the engine I asked the service people how come they’ve covered it when in the van is 18 months out of warranty and he said sometimes when has been ongoing issues we are able to get VW authorise the work.

Happy days :mexican wave:

On the downside I cubed one of my alloys driving off the car park:mad:

My van is 4 nd a half years old, 60k miles. Had a major service last week and a new cam belt. Couple of days before the service the engine management light came on. When I dropped it in I asked him if I could take a look at it only to be told by charged £125 for diagnostics so I said I’d leave it and I hooked it up to the VCDS to see what the fault was. Turned out it was poor gas flow in the EGR, something that has plagued my van ever since I’ve had it. in the first three years of ownership it has required an EGR flush every six months but since I moved house and now commute 30 miles on the motorway into work it’s not needed one for the last 18 months. I thought the problem was just that I was doing short traffic jam queueing along journeys.

Anyway I had to suck up their £125 and booked it in for an EGR flush ok Monday. I had a phone call Monday afternoon asking me if I wanted the good or the bad news. The bad news was the EGR flush had not cured the problem and they were unable to clear the blockage. The good news was they were going to replace the whole EGR cooler and valve at no cost to myself covered by VW even though the van has been out of warranty for 18 months.

i’ve picked the van up today and there’s a few shiny new parts bolted to the engine I asked the service people how come they’ve covered it when in the van is 18 months out of warranty and he said sometimes when has been ongoing issues we are able to get VW authorise the work.

It's great to hear of a dealer acting ethically and looking after a customer, I guess you'll be happy to go back there in future. Shame about the alloy, we've all done it, or will in the future!

I paid £1,100 to cure the same EGR fault on mine, and only just out of warranty, so you had a right result.

.....The good news was they were going to replace the whole EGR cooler and valve at no cost to myself covered by VW even though the van has been out of warranty for 18 months....
Christmas came early for someone. :thumbsup:

Booked my 102 in for the 30th. £650 all in.
That a VW price?

Mines in for a flush on the 20th, I have the extended warranty so if the flush doesn’t fix it (not expecting it to) I will push for a new EGR, good to hear you got yours done out of warranty- it’s clearly a design flaw, VW should do more for customers

VW should do more for customers

All brands dealers are the same, once you've spent your money on a new car they have no interest in keeping you happy until you return to spend more money on a new car.

If you look at how they can't make their new vans quick enough and the redicilous waiting times they have no reason to put any effort in, people will buy them anyway!

Last edited:
Sweet getting mine replaced tomorrow hope it helps with all the adblue faults aswell sick of the thing not even had it aonth

Back