EGR cleaned but still having issues.

Hello N58,

I bought my van and drove her home to Scotland, she is a 2016 t6, 102(remapped to 140), i had her around an hour when the engine management light came on, on the trek north. She was ok, never lost power or anything, oil levels etc all good.
After getting her up the road, called the local dealer, they booked me in for a couple of days later. I have the Diagnostic software, new it was EGR.
They called and said they would have to put through a 'cleaning cycle' on their new egr machine. They had the van just short of 2 days.
Everything has been ok since, the dealer was ace, said it should be ok after the clean but any issues bring it back and the valve will be changed, they seemed decent enough.

Hope your van is better now and sorry for the late reply!

BB

I'm glad this thread got back on track!
By the way don't forget Chigley, Camblewick green, Topcat, Banana bunch
Tiswas. Ifor the engine and the Clangers

anyway, might be worth you getting CARISTA and dongle for your phone.

you can then check the faults out yourself before getting the heavy guys involved.

save you hanging about if its not too serious.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bl...e=UTF8&qid=1530732974&sr=8-1&keywords=carista
Just looking at this, does it just plug in then get the app for Android phone and done? I know you can't program off it but it will read the error code and tell you the fault?
Sorry for all the questions but at £22 with cable seems brilliant

Just looking at this, does it just plug in then get the app for Android phone and done? I know you can't program off it but it will read the error code and tell you the fault?
Sorry for all the questions but at £22 with cable seems brilliant

You can do some basic programming, but theres a catch.

the APP is free and the OBD2 plug in unit is very cheap.

the basic setup will read fault codes/ basic diagnostics etc. (which is what you want and what were referring to on this thread)

Oh it also works with the TORQUE APP on android too.

The benefits are, its small enough to leave in the van all the time. it works with your phone (which you have all the time). so in a situation just just plug it in - scan for codes - google said codes - decide if its safe/ok to carry on with your journey and worry about it next week . . . . or its a major problem and need VW Assisit or AA recovery.

now heres the catch, if you want to subscribe to the premium service then you get advanced diagnostics and programming (customization) but it will cost you.

Carista OBD2 App | Diagnose, customize and service your car

The App
Free Features
Basic OBD2 Diagnostics
Basic Service

The Adapter
$19.99
Free 1-Month trial of paid app features
Works on both iOS and Android via Bluetooth LE
Compatible with a multitude of partner apps

$39.99/year or $9.99/1-week pass
Advanced Diagnostics
Customizations
Advanced Service
For Supported Vehicles Only

some vids here >

Now compare that with VCDS

VCDS software download - FREE

VCDS adapter cable is £225 - £480

Ross-Tech: VCDS

Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG-COM) Packages :: Gendan Automotive Products

what ever you decide eveyone should have some sort of access to reading fault codes, and for £15.99 its a no brainer - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bl...e=UTF8&qid=1531643773&sr=8-1&keywords=carista

Hello N58,

I bought my van and drove her home to Scotland, she is a 2016 t6, 102(remapped to 140), i had her around an hour when the engine management light came on, on the trek north. She was ok, never lost power or anything, oil levels etc all good.
After getting her up the road, called the local dealer, they booked me in for a couple of days later. I have the Diagnostic software, new it was EGR.
They called and said they would have to put through a 'cleaning cycle' on their new egr machine. They had the van just short of 2 days.
Everything has been ok since, the dealer was ace, said it should be ok after the clean but any issues bring it back and the valve will be changed, they seemed decent enough.

Hope your van is better now and sorry for the late reply!

BB
Thankyou very much barry..
It is finally going in tommorow to be assessed!
So fingers and toes crossed

The deep clean is probably some version of Terraclean........or Terraw**k depending on who you speak to. Having had to clean out EGR systems before I can't see how it can effectively get all that cack out (it needs chiselling out in some places!) however a friend with a garage is a Terraclean agent and tells me of miracle stories on vehicles he's used it on.

Update...
Dealer is replacing egr, even though warrenty hq said do clean .

They refused to just clean , as they dont go down this route often ,
Due to egr failing again on previous vehicles they done

So quick update- been into the dealers, it is the egr need cleaning, and pipes to be replaced. No parts available :mad: so Friday at the earliest:cry: we go on holiday next Tuesday :( slightly worried

Let's not forget 'Why don't you' on a Saturday morning.

Great to hear your getting good service from the dealer @Barry Buckley. Would you mind telling us which dealer your using in Scotland?

Carista is a handy wee tool. Remember you get a months free trial with it, which gives you plenty of time to make adjustments to the settings on your van. You simply cancel the subscription on your play store app, if you don't want to be billed at the end of the trial period for continued use. I signed up a couple of times to be a beta tester too which gave free access for a while also.

Morning guys my T32 has engine warning light on 2nd time in 225 miles had vw assist out first time did static regeneration at 14.825miles now just rolled over 15.000 and its back on again
No loss of power van runs fine afterregen the van did very well on fuel better then ever
And felt more responsive but this regen only lasted 225 miles
Vw assist back out today
I’m fed up of been bullshited byVW had this kombi 1 year codes showing are P0401
I’m ok under warranty but what in 3 years time
I don’t want to be in that situation
I may have to sell my mint black kombi shame but I’m not been stuck with a lemon
And it sounds like there are many T6s suffering same issues
I’m interested in any updates on EGR FAULTS OR are VW ignoreing the issues
thanks Royboy

Morning guys my T32 has engine warning light on 2nd time in 225 miles had vw assist out first time did static regeneration at 14.825miles now just rolled over 15.000 and its back on again
No loss of power van runs fine afterregen the van did very well on fuel better then ever
And felt more responsive but this regen only lasted 225 miles
Vw assist back out today
I’m fed up of been bullshited byVW had this kombi 1 year codes showing are P0401
I’m ok under warranty but what in 3 years time
I don’t want to be in that situation
I may have to sell my mint black kombi shame but I’m not been stuck with a lemon
And it sounds like there are many T6s suffering same issues
I’m interested in any updates on EGR FAULTS OR are VW ignoreing the issues
thanks Royboy
Whats you style of driving? how many miles a day? whats the driving duration?

If VW Assist done a static regeneration, thats implying that you are not driving enough for the van to complete its own DPF Regen cycle?

anyhow the PO401 may be EGR valve related - or blocked,

There were more issues with the EU5 T5/T5,1 engine than the EU6 T6 engines in regards to EGR valves (i had one done on our EU5 T5.1 180).

maybe check the below about completing the regen, also note the van will normally do two regens per tank of fuel, (1/3 & 2/3 tank mark roughly) and that having a low level in the tank all the time will stop the regen proces so make sure you fill it up.

Maybe take the van in to the dealer for the EGR valve fault and possible replacement.

P0401 possible egr valve fault

How to reset/regenerate/clear your DPF warning light (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Whats you style of driving? how many miles a day? whats the driving duration?

If VW Assist done a static regeneration, thats implying that you are not driving enough for the van to complete its own DPF Regen cycle?

anyhow the PO401 may be EGR valve related - or blocked,

There were more issues with the EU5 T5/T5,1 engine than the EU6 T6 engines in regards to EGR valves (i had one done on our EU5 T5.1 180).

maybe check the below about completing the regen, also note the van will normally do two regens per tank of fuel, (1/3 & 2/3 tank mark roughly) and that having a low level in the tank all the time will stop the regen proces so make sure you fill it up.

Maybe take the van in to the dealer for the EGR valve fault and possible replacement.

P0401 possible egr valve fault

How to reset/regenerate/clear your DPF warning light (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Hi thanks for reply
Yes if van not doing long enough runs then it will block up but not at 15.000 miles
If VW state that it’s down to customers driving
Then why when you buy the van are you not WARNED that little use will result in possibilities
Of engine issues .??
This won’t hold water in a court of law as I don’t believe any T5 or T6 buyer
as been warned not to do short trips you buy a vehicle to use VW ASSISTANCE
Just tool me he been to vans doing motorway miles daily of 200-400 miles and still got issues
With EGR faults same
So why do EGR FLUSHING why not solve the issue and redesign part anyway van going in tomorrow
To see Dr. It also got a extra prescription for faulty battery that VW have fitted from new
MOLL batteries between years 2016-18 if your having starting issue please check with VW FOR CORRECT DATEcode thanks for all your input glad folk are keeping up to date with faults
Other wise VWwill just ride out our warranty and then your at mercy of paying dealer prices
Thanks again Roy xx

Morning all,

So over the last 3 weeks my 2016 T6 150 Euro 6 has been slowly losing coolant and I have had to top it up on a few occasions after the warning light came up on the dash.

I finally got it booked into my local VW dealer and they kept it for 2 days to have a look at. I got a call last night and they said that the EGR looked to be leaking/cracked and they have ordered a new one under warranty.

Would the EGR fault cause the coolant to leak? And is there anything else I should maybe be aware of that the dealer isnt telling me/found?

Cheers,

Steve

My understanding is that the EGR valve is normally cooled by the flow of engine coolant, so the dealer’s diagnosis could well be right.
As an aside, BMW are currently dealing with a massive similar issue on a number of their cars, caused by faulty EGR valves. It’s a serious issue on these cars.

Keep a very close eye on your coolant level until they fix it.

Pete

Last edited:
Failed EGR/cooler has been known to fail before...

The EGR is water cooled, so yes. If there is a crack in the cooler section the coolant can be sucked into the EGR and then sucked and burnt by the engine its self.

This can sometimes be diagnosed by excessive white smoke/steam from the exhaust and a sweet antifreeze smell from the exhaust..... oh and on the more technical side a coolant system pressure test.

Good job you reacted to the low water alarm and got it looked at..... a overheated engine is never a good thing.

I had a P0401 alarm through most of May/June. I was resetting it with Carista but came back on within a few days.
Breeze Portsmouth flushed out the EGR yesterday, no replacement, no software upgrade.

I had a P0401 alarm through most of May/June. I was resetting it with Carista but came back on within a few days.
Breeze Portsmouth flushed out the EGR yesterday, no replacement, no software upgrade.

lets see how long before the light comes back on . . . . . . . . .

Back