They are part of the goodnight package on caravelles and are fixing points for some kind of detachable blinds/curtains for when you sleep in the van (never seen them so not sure exactly what they are)

I had a 2005 T5 Caravelle and I was told they are for attaching a dog guard or net to prevent things dropping on the rear seats,

I have one in the Volvo and they're a godsend when you need to carry loads so got one for the Caravelle too.

Here's mine in situ in the front mounts:

20230421_170501-01.jpeg

And the rear mounts:
20230421_172922.JPG

I'd hoped that we could leave it in place at the rear as a luggage guard but it's under too much tension for comfort. The Volvo one is tensioned by a buckle so has some variability, the VW one is like an elastic safety strap and a T fitting into the rails.

The front is useful as I can drop the seats flat, throw the rugs over them and move big IKEA boxes etc. But given the roof mounts are fixed and there is so little variability in the bottom straps I'm not sure why they hook into the rails, in both positions a tensionable strap that hooked into the lashing rings would make it sit better.

They're around £600 new and IMHO not worth that, keep an eye out second hand I ended up getting one for £150 and they are worth that for when you want to move big stuff.

Back