Campervan: microwave / oven / grill?

thanks Chris yes we are also going to have foldable barby , but I am thinking also of quick or wet cold weather cooking options as well

thanks Chris yes we are also going to have foldable barby , but I am thinking also of quick or wet cold weather cooking options as wellI
I have a double gas hob inside and i have a small plug in toaster ( only works on electric hook up (EHU) ). I do have a compact mini oven stored in a cupboard but it rarely gets used to be honest.

I have a double gas hob inside and i have a small plug in toaster ( only works on electric hook up (EHU) ). I do have a compact mini oven stored in a cupboard but it rarely gets used to be honest.
Thanks Chris its so good to get different idea's , I was also thinking about the really very small toasty grill we have already ,that we have used indoors for toasted sanys and even steaks too ... space being of a premium whilst camping in a T6 I think I will be able to have that on board too

Thanks Chris its so good to get different idea's , I was also thinking about the really very small toasty grill we have already ,that we have used indoors for toasted sanys and even steaks too ... space being of a premium whilst camping in a T6 I think I will be able to have that on board too
If I was doing it again, I wouldn’t bother with facilities to cook in the van. Makes it smell & takes up storage space. Each to their own tho’.

Reactions: JOG
just making decisions on what to have fitted in our Kombi SWB by the conversion company.
one thing needed are idea's / guidance on whether to have a two or three ring hob?
Also whether to have either an oven/grill or a microwave?
What are the pro's and cons to each?
Mate has a microwave and regrets it due to the power usage and prefers mine with an oven/grill.

just making decisions on what to have fitted in our Kombi SWB by the conversion company.
one thing needed are idea's / guidance on whether to have a two or three ring hob?
I have an oven, grill and did have a microwave. I hardly use the oven or grill these days, binned the microwave and now I have a small air fryer. Had a Jackery, just changing to a EcoFlow, and will be using this one pot cos it does it all. Travelled to Austria, Spain and Czechia in the last year put my stuff in the one pot and it was ready when I stopped or threw some chips and sausages in the air fryer.

We don’t have any onboard cooking facilities and just use the Cadac / Jetboil.

Used the oven once in the old van. New van has a cupboard there instead. Double gas hob (Thetford 165) running off Cadac dual. We might use the electric pressure cooker on hookup.

Just debating whether to fit an oven and/or grill to my camper.
As we all seek different arrangements, I both agree and disagree.

We have a SWB camper and have two gas rings. As above, this is more than sufficient and we could probably easily manage one. Yet on the oven/ grill, we use ours every day and wouldn’t be without it.

I have an oven, grill and did have a microwave. I hardly use the oven or grill these days, binned the microwave and now I have a small air fryer. Had a Jackery, just changing to a EcoFlow, and will be using this one pot cos it does it all. Travelled to Austria, Spain and Czechia in the last year put my stuff in the one pot and it was ready when I stopped or threw some chips and sausages in the air fryer.

I noticed in your picture you have the reverse pop up - that is the type we are having on ours , do you have kitchen area in back ? Be very interested in your layout in your van

I noticed in your picture you have the reverse pop up - that is the type we are having on ours , do you have kitchen area in back ? Be very interested in your layout in your van
Yes I do. It's designed for skiing. Central aisle for the skis, onboard port potti, 2 front rib beds that can be pushed together to form a double ( too cold in the pop top in -15c) and pop top bed. Fridge, cooker & grill with , insulated water tank, separate 12v & 240v hot water tank. I also paid extra for the solar panels and a Lithium battery.

Looking from the tailgate on the right there is a wardrobe and storage which doubles as a step to the pop top. Underneath is the toilet and some more cupboards.
1678648037739.jpeg1678647893116.jpeg

1678647748151.jpeg

1678647790942.jpeg

1678647851456.jpeg

1678647929069.jpeg

1678647990456.jpeg

1678648010751.jpeg

We have a microwave that only works on EHU and have never used it. We never used the gas oven/grille in the caravan either.
We always use the two burner gas hob and portable gas cooler and sometimes BBQ.
You can do a lot in a pot and if you’re knackered after a day climbing/walking/biking etc it just feels easier. Especially if using dried food for speed and no washing up - Firepot are surprisingly tasty and filling and weigh next to nothing.
Life’s to short to be cooking for ages!

We have a microwave that only works on EHU and have never used it. We never used the gas oven/grille in the caravan either.
We always use the two burner gas hob and portable gas cooler and sometimes BBQ.
You can do a lot in a pot and if you’re knackered after a day climbing/walking/biking etc it just feels easier. Especially if using dried food for speed and no washing up - Firepot are surprisingly tasty and filling and weigh next to nothing.
Life’s to short to be cooking for ages!
It certainly is ! thanks for your reply

Yes I do. It's designed for skiing. Central aisle for the skis, onboard port potti, 2 front rib beds that can be pushed together to form a double ( too cold in the pop top in -15c) and pop top bed. Fridge, cooker & grill with , insulated water tank, separate 12v & 240v hot water tank. I also paid extra for the solar panels and a Lithium battery.

Looking from the tailgate on the right there is a wardrobe and storage which doubles as a step to the pop top. Underneath is the toilet and some more cupboards.
View attachment 191919View attachment 191915

View attachment 191912

View attachment 191913

View attachment 191914

View attachment 191916

View attachment 191917

View attachment 191918
It looks amazing ( and similar in ways to what we have in mind for our layout too ) Is yours a LWB ? Also re the captains seats and the rea seats that make up into the singles, what do you use for bedding ?- do you have roll up under mattresses - some one mentioned duvalay but I am not sure if they make anything that width for some padding to sleep on ? or do you use something else or nothing else underneath? For top bedding do you use sleeping bags or quilts ? Where do you store your bedding in the van during the day ? Do the rear seat open up and have storage underneath? Thank you for your help , your van is just great and perfect as you say for your skis too! Do you use the oven grill very much , I am trying to decide which way to go , and one more query are you diesel or gas heating ? thank you for taking the time to reply and share your pics with me its really helpful .

View attachment 191919View attachment 191915

View attachment 191912

View attachment 191913

View attachment 191914

View attachment 191916

View attachment 191917

View attachment 191918
I just noticed the picture of your bed made up - ( hence asking about duvalay etc as was looking for something for the single) I think our seats might be narrower? as when made up ours leaves a gap up the middle so you can access the loo at the back but will also have tracks on the floor so they could be slid into a double if required ( well thats as far atm as I know anyway ( I think its something along the lines of the Knights Mountain tourer interior layout) Is yours a reverse pop top ? Is that a TV you have there , what type/size screen ? I think your van is terrific looks so comfy and versatile, we have our layout planning meeting in a couple of weeks hence trying to get as many idea's / opinions as possible thank you for your help Mick - happy travels !

I just noticed the picture of your bed made up - ( hence asking about duvalay etc as was looking for something for the single) I think our seats might be narrower? as when made up ours leaves a gap up the middle so you can access the loo at the back but will also have tracks on the floor so they could be slid into a double if required ( well thats as far atm as I know anyway ( I think its something along the lines of the Knights Mountain tourer interior layout) Is yours a reverse pop top ? Is that a TV you have there , what type/size screen ? I think your van is terrific looks so comfy and versatile, we have our layout planning meeting in a couple of weeks hence trying to get as many idea's / opinions as possible thank you for your help Mick - happy travels !
My TV is quite old now. It's a 14" Cello 240v/12v. Quite a good combination of connection HDMI, USB, Cable and Aerial (digital & Analogue). Yes it is a reverse pop top.

Although the front seats are versatile and look great they are not very comfortable when you use it as a bed. I have an airbed if I am going to use it for more than 1 night. Normally I sleep up top. But when i travel to Austria/Spain etc i use it for overnighting or just getting a my head down on the journey.

It looks amazing ( and similar in ways to what we have in mind for our layout too ) Is yours a LWB ? Also re the captains seats and the rea seats that make up into the singles, what do you use for bedding ?- do you have roll up under mattresses - some one mentioned duvalay but I am not sure if they make anything that width for some padding to sleep on ? or do you use something else or nothing else underneath? For top bedding do you use sleeping bags or quilts ? Where do you store your bedding in the van during the day ? Do the rear seat open up and have storage underneath? Thank you for your help , your van is just great and perfect as you say for your skis too! Do you use the oven grill very much , I am trying to decide which way to go , and one more query are you diesel or gas heating ? thank you for taking the time to reply and share your pics with me its really helpful .
I answered some of this earlier. I always use a sleeping bag and I have 2 a very thick military artic one for winter travel and an OEX 3 season both fit in a cupboard below the TV. Limited storage underneath the seat which I use for electrical cables, light etc. Oven and grill I rarely use now since I discovered the joy of a solar generator (search on here for Jackery or Ecoflow) and an air fryer/all in one Pot. I have had both heating types and now have diesel Erberspacher which is brilliant: parked up for a weeks skiing in very cold weather and used very little diesel. The problem, certainly in my case, with gas, is you have to pay through the nose to get something that works in Europe plus you need a decent size bottle which doesn't really work in a T6.

@Lubrown. Assume you mean a cooker. What type is it please?
Yes, meant cooker - typing on a tiny phone!
It’s a fairly basic but new (old one was getting a bit too trusty after 20 odd years) camping gaz - just uses the cartridge gas for ease and low price.
Pokey enough to heat a cast iron griddle though and very quick for the kettle.
Always make sure you pack a wind shield in the case - they are a must for saving gas and cooking time.

We use our camper a lot for cycling and running so quick easy food is a win, as long as it’s wholesome. Tend to find you can do a lot with pan based cooking if you put you mind to it.
If we are holidaying in it we might take a BBQ too and occasionally eat out.

I'm planning for a two burner gas range (Dometic/SMEV 9722) supplied by my underslung LPG tank and a 600W Daewoo QT1 microwave in mine.
The microwave will only be usable when on EHU as my inverter is only 800W but I can live with that.

I answered some of this earlier. I always use a sleeping bag and I have 2 a very thick military artic one for winter travel and an OEX 3 season both fit in a cupboard below the TV. Limited storage underneath the seat which I use for electrical cables, light etc. Oven and grill I rarely use now since I discovered the joy of a solar generator (search on here for Jackery or Ecoflow) and an air fryer/all in one Pot. I have had both heating types and now have diesel Erberspacher which is brilliant: parked up for a weeks skiing in very cold weather and used very little diesel. The problem, certainly in my case, with gas, is you have to pay through the nose to get something that works in Europe plus you need a decent size bottle which doesn't really work in a T6.
thanks Mick all the info we can get the better cheers

I'm planning for a two burner gas range (Dometic/SMEV 9722) supplied by my underslung LPG tank and a 600W Daewoo QT1 microwave in mine.
The microwave will only be usable when on EHU as my inverter is only 800W but I can live with that.
thanks for the useful info cheers

Yes, meant cooker - typing on a tiny phone!
It’s a fairly basic but new (old one was getting a bit too trusty after 20 odd years) camping gaz - just uses the cartridge gas for ease and low price.
Pokey enough to heat a cast iron griddle though and very quick for the kettle.
Always make sure you pack a wind shield in the case - they are a must for saving gas and cooking time.

We use our camper a lot for cycling and running so quick easy food is a win, as long as it’s wholesome. Tend to find you can do a lot with pan based cooking if you put you mind to it.
If we are holidaying in it we might take a BBQ too and occasionally eat out.
thank you for the info . cheers

Back