Campervan: microwave / oven / grill?

Which do you prefer; Double Skillet or Omnia Oven?
It looks like the Omnia would be a better oven but the Double Skillet is more flexible with multiple uses.
The double skillet is actually a better oven than the Omnia too, bottom pan empty and food in the top one. Cooks pizza, muffins, meat just as well as the omnia without the hole in the middle. Doesn't burn the bottom of the food as much as the Omnia either, which I probably won't use again now. I've only got limited room, so the double skillet has replaced both the Omnia and the large Ridgemonkey. Still use the small Ridgemonkey though, and take a Collaps silicone pan as that takes up no room.

The double skillet option would free up the oven space, and it seems like it has many uses. I need to do a bit more research on what its capable of cooking but I am buying into the concept..!

The double skillet option would free up the oven space, and it seems like it has many uses. I need to do a bit more research on what its capable of cooking...!
I'm well impressed with mine, but it has its limits, you're not going to get a turkey in it :D

Yes, should be fine... don't plan on doing a Sunday roast... :)

Thanks for the advice and help

We brought our van already converted which had a grill fitted but having had "Dora" (nickname for our T6) for a year now feel an oven would be better for our needs. Not sure if this is possible but would welcome feedback with regards to gas usage etc. We have a portable oven which is fab but takes up a lot of space which as we all know is a premium

I elected for gas hob for cups of tea etc and a mains microwave which works fine off the inverter/leisure battery. I also have a small toaster tucked away which gives a few snack meal options

My previous two dubs, an Autosleeper Trophy and an Autosleeper Topaz both had an oven, the new one (Hillside Birchover) doesnt and I do miss it.
The 'inbetween' van (Swift Suntor) had a full size domestic oven & 4-ring hob and we used the oven a lot but then there was much more room to faff.
The Birchover has a grill, but theres not much you would use it for beyond toast (house rule, greasy-spitting bacon is forbidden inside, has to be cooked outside)
When speccing the van I did ask about an oven but its only available on their LWB version, and I wanted a SWB, and Hillside wouldnt swap the grill for an oven.
The LWB Birchover has both! I found an oven is so versatile for camping, much more so than a grill. Pies, pasties, ready-meals, stews, jacket spuds, shepherds pie, curries, pasta bakes...
and I found the 'performance' the same as a home oven, same cooking times etc (why wouldnt two temperature controlled enclosures be the same?) and once its up to 200 and
the thermostat cuts in & out its not constantly draining gas anyway other than the pilot.
I'd love to have an oven in the van again. We compromised by buying a canister-oven from Go Outdoors which works great but its another large box to carry.
Cheers
Phil

PS One certainty - every campervan should have a Ridge Monkey in the cupboard!
Buy the XL, the normal sized one is a bit tight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ... got a few good ideas which are worth a go - I will let you know what we decide on but great ideas - thanks guys

PS - food looks great :)

We have an oven. Wouldn’t be without it.

So it just shows again that it’s what’s important to you that counts.
Hi Martin, we are looking at the smev oven, but having trouble finding units to accommodate it. What cabinets do you have please?

@Stuupid we have a Dometic oven. We use its grill most mornings for toast and the oven for pizzas, oven bakes and suchlike. We don’t cook meat in it ... we are vegetarian!

The oven is built into the bespoke cabinets manufactured by our converter Sussex Campervans.

Martin

3CD56FB6-3EF5-4C15-8350-A54D0E0F5B51.jpeg

@Stuupid we have a Dometic oven. We use its grill most mornings for toast and the oven for pizzas, oven bakes and suchlike. We don’t cook meat in it ... we are vegetarian!

The oven is built into the bespoke cabinets manufactured by our converter Sussex Campervans.

Martin

View attachment 80906
Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. Sat on the fence at the moment, can't decide on the oven and it limits which units I use. Also I'm thinking your a LWB van, and I'm only a shortie

I've got a Miele M2224SC combination oven/grill/microwave built into my furniture. Only appliance I could find that was small enough to fit! Cost a bloody fortune and I had to deliver it from Bath to Milton Keynes because Miele were useless, and had to upsize the inverter to 3kW as I also have an induction hob.

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. Sat on the fence at the moment, can't decide on the oven and it limits which units I use. Also I'm thinking your a LWB van, and I'm only a shortie

@Stuupid, no we have a short wheelbase too. I wouldn't want it any other way for our van!

We have a microwave. Great for bags of rice, steamed veg and the occasional ready meal. When it is not in use we keep our bread in there!

hello there we are new and are just making decisions on what to have fitted in our VW T6 combi SWB by the company who is doing the conversion
one thing we are needed idea's / guidance on on is whether to have a two or three ring as hob ? Ans also whether to have either an oven/grill under neath or a microwave ? What are the pro's and cons to each in your opinion fellow forum members please ?

hello there we are new and are just making decisions on what to have fitted in our VW T6 combi SWB by the company who is doing the conversion
one thing we are needed idea's / guidance on on is whether to have a two or three ring as hob ? Ans also whether to have either an oven/grill under neath or a microwave ? What are the pro's and cons to each in your opinion fellow forum members please ?
The following are only my opinions based on 6 years of ownership. We average 100+ night/year in the van, do extended trips to Europe in summer & winter.
We have 2 gas rings, & could quite happily get along with just one. 3 is pointless.
No grill/oven/microwave. Space is at an absolute premium in a small Van conversion, ovens/grills are a waste of space. Also consider that if you do have any form of oven/grill it will be a dolls house version, not like you have in your kitchen at home.
Van camping is just that, camping. Think out of the (tin) box, it’s half the fun.
As I said at the beginning all IMHO.

Reactions: DXX
We are unlikely to be off grid that often as most likely will use designated sites but might be on a few occasions I guess - what is your opinion , what do you find works for you and why ?

just making decisions on what to have fitted in our Kombi SWB by the conversion company.
one thing needed are idea's / guidance on whether to have a two or three ring hob?
Also whether to have either an oven/grill or a microwave?
What are the pro's and cons to each?
Id say it kinda comes down to what sort of stuff you want to cook? Remember you have the ability to cook outside using something like a Cadac

IMG_3574.JPEG

Make a great pizza on the Cadac safari

IMG_3552.JPEG

Back